Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info needed Pearson 1971 GTO color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Info needed Pearson 1971 GTO color Reply with quote

I am working on the #33 Pearson GTO as raced at the Motor State 400
I was thinking the car was a color similar to Plum Crazy but the pics and video I see show a darker more reddish tone.
Is it just underexposed film or is the car a different tone vs the #17 livery that raced at other venues?

[url
[/url
DarylH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't swear to it but I always saw the 33 as a Root Beer brown metallic. I have no recollection of the purple at Talladega so I'm so glad I stopped by Very Happy
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of pictures look purple, decals are trimmed in purple and the other racer sponsored by CV Enterprises (Jerry Grant Mystery Eagle) was purple, so....

I think that Talladega pic is just old film or a cloudy day.
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different engine size graphics and paint treatment on the hoods and different car numbers. So I Guess it could be two completely different paint schemes and two different colors. They don't appear to be the same color.

DarylH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Motor State 400 and Plum Crazy didn't seem right to me so I went to Youtube. This video features the Pearson/Vallo Pontiac. My opinion is leaning toward Maroon Metalic but your mileage may vary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZznZbfY9Fmk

1:40 dark purplish
7:33 brownish
8:45 pushing back to the garage
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl, thanks for your insight
I am very familiar with this video and like you I struggle with the idea the car was painted Plum Crazy so that's why I asked for help.
If no one out there has definite knowledge of the car's true color I will take my best shot based on the following.
1- The original MPC release roof number decal was what seems like a dark plum color.
2 - The Powerslide decals I plan to use have a plum "33" number (not plum crazy, see pic below). I would not want a brown car with plum "33" on the roof.
3 - Old films colors tend to fade and turn brownish. Below I took a shot and enhance the color, just to get more life into it.

Right now I am leaning to some sort of dark plum purple color.

[url
[/url
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same color as the Nichels #99 Daytona in '70 and the two USAC Plymouths in '71 - Plum Crazy purple. I saw the Daytona and the GTO race a couple of times each.
james220

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the car race twice, at Charlette(World 600) and Darlington. It was purple but I'm thinking it was a little darker than Plum Crazy Purple. I also read and article in one of the stock car magazines and Ray Nichels himself said the car was painted Plum Crazy Purple. I just don't think it was that light a purple. My 73 year old memory is not as good as it once was though. The Charlette race was the debut of the Jr. Johnson's prepped Monte Carlo and kind of over shadowed everything else new in the race. The car was purple not brown or maroon. Just my thoughts. I can't wait to see what you do with the Pontiac. if you get a Chance read that article, still can't remember which mag it was in. lots of info about building the Pontiac, why they raced a Plymouth and the Sponsor Chris Vallejo.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the good thing is, you mix your own colors, so whatever you decide, you don't have to find something close in a bottle or rattle can to use. you have a better chance of getting it right. I just wonder if the decal maker got it right.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Same color as the Nichels #99 Daytona in '70 and the two USAC Plymouths in '71 - Plum Crazy purple. I saw the Daytona and the GTO race a couple of times each.

Thank you Tom, you always bail me out when I'm stuck!
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james220 wrote:
I saw the car race twice, at Charlette(World 600) and Darlington. It was purple but I'm thinking it was a little darker than Plum Crazy Purple. I also read and article in one of the stock car magazines and Ray Nichels himself said the car was painted Plum Crazy Purple. I just don't think it was that light a purple. My 73 year old memory is not as good as it once was though. The Charlette race was the debut of the Jr. Johnson's prepped Monte Carlo and kind of over shadowed everything else new in the race. The car was purple not brown or maroon. Just my thoughts. I can't wait to see what you do with the Pontiac. if you get a Chance read that article, still can't remember which mag it was in. lots of info about building the Pontiac, why they raced a Plymouth and the Sponsor Chris Vallejo.

Thanks James. Nothing like seeing it. Based on your and Tom's input I'll start working on color mixing. Purple it is!
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Well, the good thing is, you mix your own colors, so whatever you decide, you don't have to find something close in a bottle or rattle can to use. you have a better chance of getting it right. I just wonder if the decal maker got it right.

Possible Powerslide made it darker based on previous efforts starting with the original MPC release (the clear body). The "33" roof decal has a nice metallic glow though.
Now off to mixing colors. I'll do the best I can to achieve a metallic purple that remains brushable.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james220 wrote:

Plum Crazy wasn't a lighter purple to my eye. It was in the same family as B7 blue.

Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thanks again. I'm working from the foundation of this test body I did a while back. I'm thinking maybe a bit darker and with a little less blue than this.
What do you think?

[url[/url]
james220

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom you are probably right, it isn't as light as I may have thought. If Ray says it was Plum Crazy Purple it probably was.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, Mike was planning to match the roof decal to Tamiya Purple when I talked to him about the Powerslide sheet. The teams wouldn't have matched the roof number to the body paint, it would have either been a close One Shot signpainter's enamel or if they wanted to get fancy a mix of a couple of One Shot colors. If they were vinyl then they would have chosen a Pantone color for the print shop to apply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: