Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Nascar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: New Nascar Reply with quote

What odds do you guys give that Salvinos will be able to do the Mustang?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until we get a Mustang I'll buy one Camaro to support them....but build a fleet I need a Mustang.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the Mustangs will be coming at the end of the year.
bigryan18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes down to Ford & Toyota...
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the doubt? Is there a licensing issue with Toyota and Ford? I never heard of Salvino's before returning to modeling after a fairly long hiatus.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
jaws1972

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen posts on Facebook, Salvinos is working on the rights to both Toyota and Ford bodies.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
Why the doubt? Is there a licensing issue with Toyota and Ford? I never heard of Salvino's before returning to modeling after a fairly long hiatus.

How many of the older Monogram Ford's have Salvinos issued??? Or how many vintage Ford's does Salvinos have on the drawing boards. From a outsiders POV it looks like they have no deal with FORD.

I will say from years of working in the model kit industry FORD is the easiest to deal with. Now sure what that means with Salvinos.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of the older Monogram Ford's have Salvinos issued??? Or how many vintage Ford's does Salvinos have on the drawing boards. From a outsiders POV it looks like they have no deal with FORD.

I will say from years of working in the model kit industry FORD is the easiest to deal with. Now sure what that means with Salvinos.[/quote]

Like I said, until returning to modeling after a long hiatus, I had never heard of Salvino's. I have no earthly idea how many old Monogram Ford kits they have released, nor how many vintage Ford kits are on their drawing board. A bunch I hope as I'm a died in the wool blue oval guy.

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" quote from The Compleat Angler, lzzak Walton 1654
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvinos has only issued GM and Chrysler products.
TN Vols fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

Well that's interesting. Heck, you may be correct then. Thanks for the reply.

David Long

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Salvinos Reply with quote

They have only been in business about 4 years. Their back ground was the Petty's and STP. That's why Dodge/Chevy(GM) first. They are working with NASCAR, Toyota and Ford is next too come. We just need to be patient and good things will come for us Modelers.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, you worked with the auto makers regarding model cars?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
Dave, you worked with the auto makers regarding model cars?

I co-owned DNL Hobbies 1983 - 1998. We held licensing with a lot of companies including Ford, Good Year and HMS. Because we were in Charlotte and already working with these companies we negotiated deals for other companies. I also did a good amount of work with Monogram (and Revell after merger) where we worked with Ford. The last time working with Ford was with Model King and his line of Ford pick up truck kits. Thanks
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff. Crazy that the automakers actually have time for us little model builders.
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvino's have shown no interest in Fords so far, that is why I question them even doing a Ford. I have built Ford/Merc of the late 70's, those old resin bodies are out there to start over with.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Brothers Junkie wrote:
Salvino's have shown no interest in Fords so far, that is why I question them even doing a Ford. I have built Ford/Merc of the late 70's, those old resin bodies are out there to start over with.

It's odd Salvinos is sitting on tons of FORD tooling without even talking about issuing and of them. 1982 up to early 2000's
Danorace fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we just let them get the Camaro's out first.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Wood Brothers Junkie wrote:

It's odd Salvinos is sitting on tons of FORD tooling without even talking about issuing and of them. 1982 up to early 2000's

The focus right now is to get the Next Gen cars in peoples' hands. Chevys are getting out there. Getting Toyota and Ford signed is of the highest priority for the SJR/NASCAR dealings.
Until there's a licensing deal with Ford, nothing will be coming from that brand.
Dave, licensing has changed since your time. It's MUCH more NASCAR controlled.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT hasn't changed since my last deal in late 1990's!!!!
But I know NASCAR wants the kits done......all 3 manufactures. But you still need OK from Ford and Toyota. Toyota will be the harder of the two. They are VERY protective of their brand. FORD wants stuff out there.....and even made the Revell Fusion's possible. Without FORD going to Revell we would have never had those kits.

And with my current work with Model King I know FORD is still the easiest of the car companies to work with. So if a FORD kit was a priority for any model company, it's possible.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why there's so much flash and fitment issues on a brand new, "high end," supposed to be, "Tamiya-like," $40+ kit?

Maybe I got the unicorn edition, but the body's twisted, floorpan's shaped like a banana, every single parting line is riddled with flash, especially the suspension arms and roll cage.

We're on season 4 of the Salvino show now, when's it going to get better with this company? It's so frustrating that their paid shills on Youtube and FB never say anything negative about their products, but we constantly look like the bad guys here calling out the issues.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kits are in transit....so no first hand. But I get in trouble a lot for being truthful. When I do get the kits.......
Thanks joe for your opinion.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at online "unboxing" videos this new kit looks like a vast improvement from previous offerings where they just "mailed it in" form a design standpoint.
But Tamiya-like? Let's not get carried away here...
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
Is there a reason why there's so much flash and fitment issues on a brand new, "high end," supposed to be, "Tamiya-like," $40+ kit?

Maybe I got the unicorn edition, but the body's twisted, floorpan's shaped like a banana, every single parting line is riddled with flash, especially the suspension arms and roll cage.

We're on season 4 of the Salvino show now, when's it going to get better with this company? It's so frustrating that their paid shills on Youtube and FB never say anything negative about their products, but we constantly look like the bad guys here calling out the issues.

Not sure what’s up with your kit, but i got my rollout kit from the LHS and opened it up there so the owner could see it. I saw VERY MINIMAL flash, and i do mean minimal, on my kit. Maybe you did get a unicorn. Mine looks excellent, like the unboxing videos on YouTube.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mold tooling needs to be 'tuned' when run the first time. If there are kits with more flash than normal it may be a very early run made while they were fine tuning the tooling. Even after it is set up and running well, as the tool heats up, more tuning is made. So a kit with lots of flash can happen. FYI and a guess.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These unbuilt trees are from a roll out car I got on Ebay; The Elliott car I'm working on was just like this.

I'm sorry, but for a kit of this price point and hype, you shouldn't need to clean up every single piece at every glue point. Flash and mold lines are bound to happen; we all know no kit is perfect, but this is just too much when you get down to it.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your issues. Makes me wonder if this tooling was cut in aluminum or other soft metal rather than very costly nickel. The softer the metal the more issues with flash.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot of flash for new tooling, and the part details do not look very crisp.
Currently working on a 917K Fujimi kit. Supposedly a cheap kit with old tooling but it's pretty good and certainly better than this.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, my new Salvino's kits don't have flash. I've opened two of them and there's none there. That's really strange. There are some mold lines but nothing like Joe's pics. My belly pan is straight as well.

I know that both Clay Kemp and Jay Savarese had some fitment issues with their builds but they got VERY early molds, like "the boxes hadn't yet been printed" runs. I have to start putting mine together to see if there are any fitment issues, maybe they tweaked the molds?
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of flash but NO warpage. I've opened 2 so far.
Joe, you got a Unicorn.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major flash on mine appears to be limited to the silver trees and based on my experience (designed and developed injection molded plastic parts for both domestic and offshore production, everything from huge electronic closure doors with consumer interface modules attached which were 21 lb. per part to tiny pieces for consumer products) they designed some of the suspension and bumper parts incorrectly. The parts are far too thick and the attachment to the trees is too small for proper filling. Those parts also should have been positioned nearer to the main gate that injects the plastic into the runners on the tree so the viscous plastic didn't have to flow as far to fill those thick parts. So to try and compensate for the shrinkage they pushed the injection pressure up excessively high which causes flashing near the gate where the pressure is the greatest. They may be running the mold a little cold too in order to be able to eject sooner and to minimize warpage as the tree cools. I've seen parts molded like that suffer extreme warpage later, if exposed to elevated temperatures after being molded and packed due to the heat allowing the molded in stresses created from cooling the parts in the mold to stress relieve and warp days or weeks after being removed from the mold. So one person's kit might not be warped but if someone gets a kit that was in the top of the truck all day on a hot sunny day it might have gotten hot enough to stress relieve. You would be surprised at how hot cargo can get inside a truck, I had movers pack and transport my household belongings from New Hampshire to South Carolina the last week of October last year. I had a little LED desktop thermometer with a history/memory function that I tossed into a tool chest drawer. When I unpacked and paired the thermometer with my phone the highest temperature it had been subjected to in the past 3 months was 114°F. That's getting close to where styrene will start to stress relieve and it wasn't packed tightly in a cardboard box in a truck that was in the Southwestern heat and sun.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a closer look at my kit last night and while I have nowhere near the flash that Joe's kit had, there's a little bit more than I thought, so my initial statement was not entirely correct. I don't have very much, however.

I painted the belly pan last night, it's extremely straight and some test fitting proved that. As I get further into it I'll see if the other parts need work. There are two mold lines on the front fenders of the body which I forgot to remove, I'll see if they still look prominent once I get decals on it.

The caveat as always is that while I'm an experienced builder I also am a casual one in that I just want the kit to look nice on the shelf so I don't get into smaller details. That means my standards aren't right for everyone.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
I took a closer look at my kit last night and while I have nowhere near the flash that Joe's kit had, there's a little bit more than I thought, so my initial statement was not entirely correct. I don't have very much, however.

I painted the belly pan last night, it's extremely straight and some test fitting proved that. As I get further into it I'll see if the other parts need work. There are two mold lines on the front fenders of the body which I forgot to remove, I'll see if they still look prominent once I get decals on it.

My frame structure (silver part that the main cage builds from) wasn't warped but the belly pan that it sits on was slightly warped. Not more than I would expect from such a large thin part though, and nothing that gluing stuff together won't fix. I did have to shave, remove mold lines, and add small chamfers to some corners to get my main cage structure with firewall to assemble tightly together. I can understand why someone might end up with a tolerance stackup issue originating with that subassembly once they started trying to build up the part of the structure with the suspension attachment points.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Steve Salhany wrote:

My frame structure (silver part that the main cage builds from) wasn't warped but the belly pan that it sits on was slightly warped. Not more than I would expect from such a large thin part though, and nothing that gluing stuff together won't fix. I did have to shave, remove mold lines, and add small chamfers to some corners to get my main cage structure with firewall to assemble tightly together. I can understand why someone might end up with a tolerance stackup issue originating with that subassembly once they started trying to build up the part of the structure with the suspension attachment points.

It's funny that you mention that, I've been paranoid about that silver frame part you mention because a misalignment there would throw off everything. I've been fitting and test-fitting before and after paint like crazy to make sure that part fits straight and snug on the belly pan.

I'll be starting on the larger cage assembly this weekend and will look out for the possible issues you mention.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
It's funny that you mention that, I've been paranoid about that silver frame part you mention because a misalignment there would throw off everything. I've been fitting and test-fitting before and after paint like crazy to make sure that part fits straight and snug on the belly pan.

I'll be starting on the larger cage assembly this weekend and will look out for the possible issues you mention.

I build on a medium size glass cutting board, it's useful for making sure things are flat and straight and I can use my X-Acto blades on it.
WR

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished a chassis on one, it went together very smooth and looks great.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TN Vols fan wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

Well that's interesting. Heck, you may be correct then. Thanks for the reply.

They are working with NASCAR Gibbs ,Toyota, just a matter of time.
They are working to get a Ford.
But they have Contract obligations to fill with Hendrick [Not Hendricks], they need to fill first.
It could be in place by the end of the years, early 2023.
They have a busy schedule ahead of them for a small company
Its basically Rick, Jim and Chris.
martinfan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
Looking at online "unboxing" videos this new kit looks like a vast improvement from previous offerings where they just "mailed it in" form a design standpoint.
But Tamiya-like? Let's not get carried away here...

Its a good kit when it comes to accuracy , even with the missing parts, but its NOT EVEN CLOSE to being "Tamiya Like Quality" . There are a handful of issue with parts fitment , and just overall quality of the tooling.

Ive built "3" working on 4 and with each kit(3 Roll out 1 Chase) the under pan has been warped, flash, mounting holes need to be deepened. When the entire chassis is completed, the under pan does not fit right unless you open up the front ride height openings . They did a good job with taking the data they got from NASCAR and shrinking it down to 1/24th scale .

With all that said, I am having a blast building them and Salvino's is getting a lot of my money , Ive bought 8 thus far.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the Salvinos site. They have 2 more HMS cars and 2 Petty GMS cars. Does anyone who's plugged in with them know if these will be part of the kit of the month? I got my Napa and Hendrick Cars kits as part of the KotM but there was some confusion early on if these would be part of it. I assume they are but I'm not really sure.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurricane21 wrote:
Just checked the Salvinos site. They have 2 more HMS cars and 2 Petty GMS cars. Does anyone who's plugged in with them know if these will be part of the kit of the month? I got my Napa and Hendrick Cars kits as part of the KotM but there was some confusion early on if these would be part of it. I assume they are but I'm not really sure.

That's it for Next Gen KOTM in 2022 unless Toyota comes aboard and then ONE Toyota will be a KOTM this calendar year.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pigment not a dye so there won't be any bleedthru....

Well that was a lie. Rolling Eyes

Tamiya White primer like usual, all the talking heads said you wouldn't need to shoot silver prior...but here we are.

TiminToledo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
It's a pigment not a dye so there won't be any bleedthru....

Well that was a lie. Rolling Eyes

Tamiya White primer like usual, all the talking heads said you wouldn't need to shoot silver prior...but here we are.

Is that the blue pigment bleeding into the white primer or just the inability of the white primer to cover the dark color?

I am building a yellow kit, and used white primer but it does not cover very well. Color for the chassis and body were painted yellow, so not a big deal. I used tamiya gray first on a gold body, then they tamiya white on top of that and the results were much better.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the ultimate finish that Tamiya white primer gives, but it takes a lot to get to that point. Even going over their gray primer, it still takes several coats if I'm trying to get a nice clean white finish.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this to help prove the point of just how ridiculous their molded in color bodies are. There's no need for this in 2022. The number one rule of painting is light to dark; why add this aggravating layer? MPC & RM did this for years and it sucked, what makes them think it's gonna work now?

These guys have the opportunity to help undo all the bad thing previous Nascar kits have had over the years...but here we are going backwards.

The teardrop roof camera is in the wrong place; it's too far to the right, the left roof rail isn't long enough, and only the tall spoiler is correct because the short one is molded in color when it's supposed to have clear on it too. All these little ticky-tack things add up.

Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the teams are running both the colored spoiler and the spolier-with-clear on it this year, aren't they?

The short roof rail was on the CAD they got from Nascar themselves, Nascar changed that after SJR had the molds cut. Hard to blame them for that.

The one thing I did notice, and you've pointed this out before Joe, is that the attachment points on the clear parts are pretty thick. Most of them aren't a problem but the ones on the shark fin are, I broke mine trying to remove the clear support. Just a heads-up.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both spoilers have lexan on them. The spoiler on the tree with the hood should've been with the clear parts. They're running the short one everywhere except for Daytona, Talladega, and Atlanta.

(It's a giant pic, the page will get to distorted if embedded.)

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2022/02/16/USAT/194a66bf-02d5-4250-b740-8fcedafc8f5e-logano.jpg

Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks, I didn't realize that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: