Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chassis & Interior options For AMT's '65 Chevelle modifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Chassis & Interior options For AMT's '65 Chevelle modifi Reply with quote

I want to change the chassis and interior of the AMT 1965 modified stocker. What options do I have. Also I was wanting to replace the hood.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently use old NASCAR kits as the source of a chassis. You may have to lengthen or shorten the wheelbase, adjust the roll cage and swap out for period correct wheels depending on the look you require. The fenders are cut out pretty deep on that car if I remember. As far as the hood, I can't help you there.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the recent short track Monte Carlo.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of builders go to chassis is the AMT Thunderbirds from the early 90's for late model projects. Used to be a lot out there cheap, but getting a little harder to find. For wheels and tires, go with Plastic Performance Products. They make about anything you could want. Mike's Decals has their items.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave, we both chimed in at the same time. What's that old saying about great minds.
If you are doing a dirt car, Dave definitely has the better suggestion. Forgot about those.
spooker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the hood goes, resin hoods have been made in the past, but I don't think any are currently available. That said, seems like some sheet plastic, liquid cement and putty would fix it. I assume you want to close the hole. I MIGHT have a stock hood from the Revell kit, let me check.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an Amt Olds Cup chassis, with Monogram wheels and tires.

Rickster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. Is it correct that the AMT 1966 Olds 442 chassis & tub would fit the AMT Chevelle modified? As for the hood I bought a Revell '65 Chevelle for the hood and glass. The glass fit my needs but the hood was a tad to short & a bit narrower. I'm gussing I'm going to have to fill the hole on the AMT '65 hood
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the trim off the Revell body for my Friday build (but the biggest effort was backdating to a '64). You might consider going all the way with the Revell.

spooker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the 442 has a longer wheelbase. You could probably shorten it fairly easily.
Racer14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both spec out at 115 in. The olds chassis has nice detail too. Though, as noted earlier, the short track MC (or the GTO) is a good starting point. Lots of nice parts in them.
jokar124

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stock hood, windshield, dashboard and many other stock based parts can be sourced from the AMT '65 El Camino and the '65 Chevelle Station wagon if needed. The AMT '69 Chevelle chassis would also be correct and a near perfect fit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: