Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASCAR Hall Of Fame nominees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: NASCAR Hall Of Fame nominees Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the subject is taboo here, but here are my picks among the nominees for the NASCAR 2018 Hall of Fame :
John Holman & Ralph Moody -- they are listed separately
Jeff Gordon
Harry Gant
Hershel McGriff
The top 3 nominees are GIMMIES in my humble opinion, while HANDSOME Harry Gant is a personal choice. Yes I know, Harry never won a Cup Championship like fellow nominees Bobby Labonte & Alan Kulwicki, or The Daytona 500 like nominee Davey Allison. But Harry was Sooo popular, the kind of driver you would always root for, if your favorite driver couldn't win. Harry Gant is also the oldest driver to win a Cup Race and a pole. Besides, I'm sure Davey, Labonte & Kulwicki will make it in soon.
Hershel McGriff might seem like an out - there choice, considering he only scored 4 Cup wins and 37 West Series wins as well as the 1986 Winston West Championship. But he was extremely popular out here on the Left Coast, and is quite possibly the only driver to have competed against 4 Generations of Pettys Shocked !!! Hershel also raced FOR Petty Enterprises, and his connections with the Pettys resulted in him being the factory Plymouth driver on the West Coast. That his total West wins and championships wasn't higher is due only to the limited schedule he ran for many years. It would be nice for Harry And Hershel to be inducted while they are still around to enjoy the moment.
For the Heritage Award, I can't decide between Janet Guthrie and Barney Hall.
Now I'll ask others to chime in with their choices. I'll also ask all concerned to keep the discussion on an ADULT level Cool
drppr76

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three personal favorites are Bobby Labonte, Buddy Baker, and Harry Hyde- I'm sure that Holman and Moody along with Jeff Gordon are going in this year, l think along with these three, Davey Alliso will go in- just my guess- l also have a lot of respect for Harry Gant so l will be voting for him too- l wouldn't count out Herschel McGriff either
Shadetree Modeler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again, 5x Champion Larry Phillips will be overlooked for a NASCAR 'personality'.
Evil or Very Mad
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadetree Modeler wrote:
And again, 5x Champion Larry Phillips will be overlooked for a NASCAR 'personality'.
Evil or Very Mad

Larry Phillips was certainly on MY short list, as was Red Farmer. I wish I could vote for more than 5 people; maybe Holman & Moody should have been listed as the duo they were, rather than individually. I've also felt that NASCAR should have originally " seeded " the H of F with some of the gimmee people that EVERYONE agrees belong there.
The sad reality is that NASCAR and the H of F kinda have to have the name " Personalities " in the Hall, to attract today's casual race fan. While those of us here on Randy Ayers are well versed in the Larry Phillips' and Red Farmers of our sport, there are many young fans who NEVER SAW RICHARD PETTY RACE !!! Shocked ( Now I feel REALLY OLD !!! Crying or Very sad ) Personally, I would love to see Buddy Arrington, J.D. McDuffie, and Jack Sellers in the H of F . None ever won a NASCAR race, but they all ran for many years.
I think this deal is going to take some time; for every Richie Evans or Ron Hornaday Jr. that has made it in, we will also have a Buddy Baker or Bobby Labonte. They ALL belong there, it's just a matter of when...
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kulwicki has my vote. Did everything himself could have left and went to Jr's(Johnson) team but stuck with it and up until the chase stuff started had the closes champion points margin. Plus was last true owner/driver and won championship. Do like Gant, H&M, Hyde, Baker or Fox to be in. Think its too early for Gordon but he'll proberly make it cuz of Evernham.
Jim N

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad part about this is that the NASCAR Hall of Fame was started so late that there will be many deserving individuals who may not make it in or will be exceedingly delayed just because their careers occurred in the early days of the sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: