Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K&K Charger question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: K&K Charger question. Reply with quote

Did Bobby Isaac ever race the #71 Daytona Charger with the red wing as pictured on the MPC box, instead of a white one?

Thx. Tom

Last edited by Tom Birky on Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen images of a K & K # 71 Dodge Daytona with a red wing. Now if I could just remember WHERE ??? Embarassed
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen images of a K & K # 71 Dodge Daytona with a red wing. Now if I could just remember WHERE ??? Embarassed
AndyS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Did Bobby Isaac ever race the #71 Daytona Charger with the red wing as pictured on the MPC box, instead of a white one?

Thx. Tom

The only race with the red wing + white bumblebee tail stripe was the 1969 Talladega 500, the very first race for the Charger Daytona. After that, the K&K team always painted the wing white, to match the tail stripe.

You can see on the MPC box that the car next to the #71 is white with red lettering - that's the #3 Ray Fox Dodge, which started alongside the #71 on the front row at that race and was driven by Jim Vandiver. The MPC box picture appears to have been taken on the pace lap.

I think the Moss-Thornton sponsorship is legible on the quarter panel of the white car, that was the sponsor that Jim Vandiver had in those days. Ray Fox and Jim Vandiver always maintained that their car won the race, but scoring "errors" in favor of the #99 Nichels Dodge Daytona gave it win, which NASCAR wanted for publicity reasons.

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info and pic. Thank you very much for taking time to dig that up! I built the MPC kit when I was a kid and recently came across another one. Looking for pics all I could find was the white wing version. Thx again!

Tom
AndyS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! That question about the MPC box pictures always bothered me too.

It's funny they used that photo on the box. That version with the red wing is not the definitive version of the car, it only looked like that at that one race where there weren't many photos published and there was no TV coverage.

There's an earlier version of the MPC box with the lettering "CHARGER DAYTONA" shows the Moss-Thornton lettering on the Ray Fox #3 very clearly. The later version just says "DAYTONA" in bigger letters that cover up the white car.

Here's picture of the #3 that Vandiver drove to a win in the ARCA race at Talladega in Oct. of 1969, the Moss-Thornton sponsorship is clearly visible:

Dave Despain's old TV show once did an episode on that 1969 Talladega race and the driver boycott, but it's no longer on Youtube. Somebody else made a Youtube video that covers a lot of the same material, with some still pictures, it's an interesting story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5p6TajVQI8
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if that was the Same Charger 500 that Jim Vandiver drove in the 1st Talladega 500 ( a race he DID win, in the opinion of everyone there that day - EXCEPT Bill France Sr. )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: