Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powerslide and Solvaset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Powerslide and Solvaset Reply with quote

Has anyone had problems using Solvaset with Powerslide (or any other Cartograf) decals? I just used it with a sheet and the glue is cloudy and gummy behind the clear sections. I’m going to wait and see if it dries ok, but I don’t like the way it looks right now.
scooter64

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just used both on my Chase car...

didn't have any issues...

the decals on the SS were from the modern head light/tail light sheet...so i had to use solvaset to get them to lay down.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think of it, I used novus polish before decalling. That could be what the Solvaset is reacting with.
scooter64

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do know if you don't wash that stuff off completely...then wash it again...

it will jack up everything...

i'm pretty sure just the residue left over (and my half-rearend-ed washing) is what caused my paint issues on the Harvick car i am doing.

(for clarification...after i masked off the black portion of the car...shot the white...when i peeled off the masking on the black... i had some areas that the tape and black lacquer didn't make nice...i did a test shot of wet sanding and polishing to see if i could fix the affected areas...didn't like the way it was turning out so i decided to reshoot the black...that is when the problems started)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some issues with the decals "silvering" after using Novus polish before decaling. Now I polish only if the paint really needs it, AFTER decaling. I just carefully work around the decals as much as possible. I think the Novus #1 and #2 leaves a residue that the decals sometimes don't like. I'm not knocking the Novus polish because it works really well on giving the paint a beautiful finish. It's just weird because it didn't happen all the time. Now I just don't take the chance. I've also wondered how the Novus polish would affect any clear coat? Haven't tempted it yet.

Bobby
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed some slivering too. That’s why I went with the Solvaset. Any idea how to clean the Novus off? Ive spent a lot of time massaging this body and really don’t want to start over.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, what has seemed to work for me is after polishing and before decaling and Bare Metal Foiling, I wash the the body with a generous amount of regular Dawn dish liquid using a clean soft piece of old cotton tee shirt and a really stubby ox hair 1/4" hobby paintbrush to get down in the seams. I used to just worry about the visible polish residue that would stay down in the seams after polishing but found that the Bare Metal Foil particularly, adhered way better after a thorough washing. Same seems to apply for the decals. The first car I used any Powerslides along with Solva-set on was silvered a little over the black but I knew the suface was glass-smooth and figured that was just the nature of it as it wasn't really bad. When I used decals from the exact sheet over the same polished black paint on another build only difference being that the second had been washed with Dawn, the Powerslides looked almost Tampo printed with ZERO silvering- way, way better than before.

John
john843

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should have probably mentioned above that the painted bodies that I'm washing with Dawn are all oil enamel or lacquer. Don't think it would matter with acrylics but not sure.
I too am a big fan of Novus. Been using the same bottle for 15 years. Although I've experimented with different polishes, Novus gives me the consistently best results and I end up coming back to the same old bottle of #2.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: