Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#43 John Andretti (1998 Pepsi 400 scheme)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slipster17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: #43 John Andretti (1998 Pepsi 400 scheme) Reply with quote

This is my first deep dive into a modelling project after being absent from the hobby for a loooooooong while. So of course I wasn't going to go easy on myself! Laughing

The special reverse & chameleon colored STP / Glasurit Paints scheme that Andretti drove in two races at the tail end of 1998 (the Pepsi 400 'Thank You Firefighters' version specifically)

I've wanted to build this paint scheme for since the early 2000s but never really felt I had the skills and know-how to do it properly. Now, an older and wiser artist, I think it's time to try.

Slipster17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to build this kit as 'mostly' box stock with only a few year/ race specific changes being made to the chassis and body.

On the inside I scuffed the rolling surface of the tires, borrowed a single side exhaust pipe from my scrapyard to make this build race accurate, chopped the rear springs a little bit to get a completely level stance and cut a little extra piece of parts tree to create an 'Earnhardt Bar'. Also from the scrapyard, the larger more period correct engine air cleaner.

On the outside I did my best to putty and sand the the seam between body and front bumper and make it disappear, as well as completely smooth out the lower grilles so a later decal lays flat. Then, because I am making this one a single side exhaust, I cut out a chunk of the driver's side-skirt to leave room for the larger pipe and then puttied in the gap on the passenger side.

Slipster17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I was going to end up using Tamiya for the Fl Red - that was a given - but I really shopped around trying to find the best possible paint match for the chameleon paint on this car.

Ordered a bunch of samples and tried them out on some junk-bodies. Decided on the colorshift airbrush paints from GreenStuffWorld. Their effect is 100% spot on and the flake isn't enormous like it can be from other manufacturers.

I used their 'Celestial Azure' colorshift as a match for the color effect the #43 (over a black base of course). The other car you see in the images below is painted in 'Darth Blue' colorshift and belongs to another project in the works Very Happy

Lionpride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I'm glad you didn't have any reactions when you put another paint on top of Tamiya. Gonna look killer with decals.
First I have heard of Green Stuff World.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far!!!
Slipster17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
Very cool! I'm glad you didn't have any reactions when you put another paint on top of Tamiya. Gonna look killer with decals.
First I have heard of Green Stuff World.

Yeah, I made certain I let this Tamiya paint cure for like a week before attempting to cover it with anything else. The Wiked colors black airbrush paint went on great though!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a reference photo you can share of what you are trying to achieve?
Slipster17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Do you have a reference photo you can share of what you are trying to achieve?

I feel like this is one of those forgotten paint schemes. Not much photographic material exists of it from either of it's appearances. It was essentially a 'reverse' of the 1997 STP paint scheme with the Petty blue being substituted for a purple->teal colorshift paint. Here are some I managed to dig up online or from other fans.

This is the Winston 500 variant - it ran without the Firefighter Tribute banner or the Smokey the Bear decals.

The Pepsi 400 variant from the following week had a different contingency spread and the aforementioned Firefighter banner and Smokey decals. This is the one that the Slixx decals replicate and is the one I'm building.

Slipster17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking my time with these old Slixx decals - but I have a back-up set in case! They've all been cooperating amazingly well so far.

bighoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Freddie Prince would say “looking good”
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have captured the paint look quite nicely. Thank you for the reference photos.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! looks like your skills didn't suffer at all from being away from the hobby, welcome back!
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the guys who were in the body shop back then. They told me that paint would flip between six colors and was so expensive that the people from R-M paint flew in with the paint and left with it when the car was sprayed. Didn't leave any for touch up, if you could do it with that stuff.
Slipster17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh63fan wrote:
I know the guys who were in the body shop back then. They told me that paint would flip between six colors and was so expensive that the people from R-M paint flew in with the paint and left with it when the car was sprayed. Didn't leave any for touch up, if you could do it with that stuff.

That's awesome! and Yeah, I believe it was kept under lock and key. It was a Cyan to Magenta shift. The closest REAL paint I found reference to was a House of Kolor product (HOK KF02) from back in the day that is sadly long since discontinued.

But I'm super happy with this colorshift paint from GreenStuffWorld that I ended up using. It looks great in the sunlight on a turntable!
Slipster17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost there with this one - I'm double layering most of the white decals. The stripes on the back haven't gotten their second layer yet so the cracks that are seen will be covered.

I am however, absolutely dreading tackling the last few decals on this guy - mostly due to the 'ribs' on the back of the Pontiac body.

The front grill and valance 'tape' were done by cutting and painting strips of painters tape.

Racer14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice build and great paint work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: