Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airbrush painters help! “Skin” forming in cup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Airbrush painters help! “Skin” forming in cup Reply with quote

I’m getting little pieces of skin (think tomatoe soup) forming in my paint cup while air brushing. Using badger patriot (gravity fed) at 20 psi I did a 50/50 mix of tutors enamel and testers thinner. It happens with red and black that I’ve tried so far. Needless to say it quickly clogs up airbrush and have to use airbrush cleaner to get all the little skins in the nozzle

Any thoughts what I could be doing wrong? Thanks
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is happening with enamel? Enamel is typically very forgiving.

That is weird. How old is the paint you are using? And what are the exact paint and thinner you are using?

Are you mixing the paint in the airbrush cup or in another container?
RCB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using Mr. Hobby Lacquer thinner. It is cool enough to thin and not harm the plastic. I used Testors lacquer thinner with good results so the Mr. Hobby will do a good job too. Mr. Hobby is self leveling giving at longer flash time and should cure the problem.
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m using testers airbrush thinner for laquers and testers model master enamels. I use 50/50, 1:1 ration mixing in external glass jar that I spin mix with a badger mixer
kurth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used the Testors Lacquer thinner. I have only ever seen Acrylic paint gum up that way. I saw a facebook post where someone had a similar problem using the small bottles of testors, and it ends up he was using Testors Acrylic, the writing on the label is so small it was easy to miss. Testors Acryl was sold in bottles that said Model Master, and the label looked similar, except it had a blue stripe instead of a red stripe on the label. Mixing lacquer thinner with some Acrylics can cause what you describe. If you are 1000% sure it is enamels you are using, then try the enamel airbrush thinner. Or there is some kind of contaminant in the airbrush.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: