Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aluminum heads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jh63fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Aluminum heads Reply with quote

What year did Nascar allow teams to start legally using aluminum heads and did everyone switch right away? Thanks
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was '84. Not all the teams switched at once, the main difference was in durability and a lot of teams had an inventory of really good but fragile cast iron heads that they had a lot of money invested in. I think Terry Strange told me they ran iron heads for a couple of years because they could buy them for pennies on the dollar from the top teams who were selling them off after aluminum heads were approved. The aluminum heads still had to get a factory part number; Chevy, Pontiac, and sometimes Buick and Olds each had their own head that an aftermarket supplier such as Dart, Brodix, and Brownfield was making to their specs.
jh63fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks for replying Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: