Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust on 1983 #22 Allison Miller Buick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Exhaust on 1983 #22 Allison Miller Buick? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

New member here..

I've long been a big Bobby Allison fan and am currently working on a model of his 1983 #22 Miller Buick using the Monogram Regal along with Powerslide decals.

One thing I've not been able to determine is what type of exhaust system was normally used? Would this car typically' have had both exhausts exiting on one side (drivers?) or one per side?

I have a decent number of reference photos gleaned from all over the internet but most are low res and the clear ones only show the drivers side of the car.

What about headers? After watching old race footage on YT and based on the sounds heard it seems likely that DiGard did not use 180 headers?

Any photos you might have would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Last edited by AMB on Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i built mine i left the headers the way that they are and made exhaust out of 5/32” tubing, both exiting on the drivers side
AMB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I'm building it more or less OOB with small changes for accuracy based on the photos I've found. I opted to rework the Monogram 180 headers into more 'standard' looking ones and also redid the kit dumps using scrap box parts and K&S tubing. While I'm fairly sure the dumps exited on the drivers side alone, after carefully watching pit stops in old races, that isn't a 100% certainty, hence my questions here.

Am hopeful others with more direct knowledge on the subject post as well.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really wasn't a Hard & Fast Rule of Thumb for exhaust pipe placement up until the last 20 years or so. Some drivers preferred both pipes out the passenger side for less noise, while some WANTED both on the drivers' side so they could tell if the engine was going sour. Both pipes out the drivers' side was also common on short tracks, where the body lean going into the corners could and did smash passenger side pipes shut.
Unless you are modeling Bobby's Miller High Life Buick from a specific race ( with photos for reference ), just do what you feel will look best. ..up
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really wasn't a Hard & Fast Rule of Thumb for exhaust pipe placement up until the last 20 years or so. Some drivers preferred both pipes out the passenger side for less noise, while some WANTED both on the drivers' side so they could tell if the engine was going sour. Both pipes out the drivers' side was also common on short tracks, where the body lean going into the corners could and did smash passenger side pipes shut.
Unless you are modeling Bobby's Miller High Life Buick from a specific race ( with photos for reference ), just do what you feel will look best. ..up
AMB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George.

As best I can tell, both pipes always exited on the drivers side on oval track cars while at Riverside both exited on the passengers side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: