Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about the NASCAR 1970 Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smart64

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Question about the NASCAR 1970 Season Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

iam absolutly new to this Theme, althoght i always loved the Winged Warriors 😍 I was lucky and get my Hands on a Revell Charger Daytona. So the disaster took its course....and i buy Polarlights Mercury and Ford, got a Jo Hann Petty Superbird . After a extensive Google search i found Pics from the Hurtubise and the Hassler Chevelles and a Red/White Olds . The Info on the Dodge, Plymouth and Fords are good, but for the others i coudnt find any.
So my Question is , what looks the Chassis on the GM Cars ?
Are there good if any Books about this Cars or Races ?

I have the Books "F.Moriarty, Supercars: The Story of the Dodge Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird", " S.Lehto, Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird" and "A.Gabbard, Nascar's Wild Years: Stock-Car Technology in the 1960s"

Regards from Vienna and stay safe !

Very Happy

Last edited by smart64 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
jh63fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the Johan Superbird I have used the AMT 1968 Roadrunner/1969 GTX chassis and engine. They are both the same. Make sure the GTX has a hemi, some had 440's. I did that before Salvino came out with the Cutlasses, the early ones with the wrong suspension should work. Just need an engine. Maybe someone can verify that.
smart64

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello thx for your Input. For the Superbirds and Daytonas i have good Informations, also for the Ford and Mercury, but not for the GM Cars.I have edit my post to clarify what i search for.
As you wrote , i have a GTX for the Chassis under the JoHann Superbird. Also Wheels, Tires and Rollcages as a Basic to start from.
Kind Regards
Harry
Racer14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were only a handful of GMs running in 70 and finding chassis picks is scarce. In 68, Smokey Yunick built his infamous Chevelle with a custom chassis and truck arm rear suspension. This design was immediately declared illegal. So most likely in 70 a stock GM perimeter chassis with short arm rear was still the norm. One of the few GM chassis articles I have seen is in the July 72 issue of Stock Car Racing magazine. It is an article that shows Bobby Allison building a (modified) production Winston Cup Monte Carlo chassis, coil spring with short arms. He did not use a Watts link that was popular but had his own track bar arrangement. I do not think that the long arm design was officially adopted until 74 when a spec chassis was allowed.
IMO, the chassis that comes in the AMT 70 Monte Carlo or Revell 69 Chevelle would still be appropriate for a 1970 GM build, with maybe a Watts linkage added.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was Tom Mooty here, who recommended a chassis for the G.M. cars of that era. I think it was from an AMT '69 or late-'60s Olds.
Try contacting Tom.M with a P.M.
smart64

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys, thank you all for your Informations !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: