Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

race reference images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: race reference images Reply with quote

I have watched probably a thousand hours of nascar races especially in the 1990s and 2000s. In that time frame I basically never missed a race. So I want to model a car kind of in a race finish look. Maybe it has a few dents and dings from a short track like Richmond.

I have ran one google search after another for tons a variations including specific drivers but I am just not getting clear photos showing the cars at the end of the race, not even race winners. It is easy to find photos of destroyed cars but not a car that has just had a hard race.

It used to be they would cut the front sheet metal off a damaged car at a short track and I even think Harry Gant maybe won a short track race that way once but try and find a photo of it. Any way where do you all find photos for research.
afx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google search: NASCAR race winners

George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMI Publications' series of NASCAR Yearbooks showed lotsa Winner's Circle cars, including Harry Gant's Buick -- complete with RF fender damage -- from his 1st Cup win at Martinsville on April, 25, 1982. Though the yearbooks are out of print, you can search for them on - line or at bookstores that handle used books.
Scott H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I found that photo. I could not tell if it was a race win though. I ran searches on Harry Gant as I liked him back in the day I remember his four consecutive wins but also remember how he could always go a bit further on a tank go gas. I liked Harry a lot, also the guy was quairky, as I recall he liked to wear wing tips for driving shoes.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: UMI Reply with quote

UMI Publications' series of NASCAR Yearbooks

I've got all from '89 to '07. Still can't find an '88.

Use them all the time when building.

Jeff
Scott H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the UMI books there are some pretty reasonable deals on them. The 1988 I found on ebay I think it is higher demand and the price on that one is high.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the UMI yearbooks from the Early Years all the way up to 1989, including the 1988 one that my wife found at a local flea market for $20 this past spring. It doesn't have the dust jacket but, I don't mind. I refer to them quite often. I have a couple duplicate years but can't remember which ones though if anybody might be interested in them.
Scott H

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
I have all the UMI yearbooks from the Early Years all the way up to 1989, including the 1988 one that my wife found at a local flea market for $20 this past spring. It doesn't have the dust jacket but, I don't mind. I refer to them quite often. I have a couple duplicate years but can't remember which ones though if anybody might be interested in them.

I dropped a Pm, if you have some form the duplicates from the 80s through about 1993 I might be interested.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A visit to Portland, Oregon's POWELLS BOOKS last Sunday revealed a thick shelf of UMI NASCAR Yearbooks; 1983 then 1998? thru 2010?. They have a website and ship books around the world.
Scott H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to buy 5 for $30 including shipping on ebay this week from the time frame I wanted. I will take a look at Powells as well.
iceman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the UMI and Round 5 yearbooks and the ones done buy PMG and use them all the time when building, also going to order the 2021 from Fan Mag found on there site.
Also have the Preview & Press guides from UMI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: