Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1989 Stroh's Light T-Bird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elcejay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: 1989 Stroh's Light T-Bird Reply with quote

In anticipation of building this car with the upcoming Powerslide decal release, I was looking to determine a good rattle can. I have seen this discussed a few times along with suggestions of Tamiya TS-15 with a grey primer. I have also read that TS-15 is a reasonable colour for a Sunoco Olds, a car that I also intend building shortly. Not wanting these two cars to be the same colour, I went searching for more photos.

A few hours of hunting led me to this nice (copyrighted) image by Brian Cleary showing the two cars side by side at the start of the 89 Daytona 500. Perhaps a bonus is that the Valvoline Pontiac is about two car lengths in front of them. The lighting on the cars is fairly consistent across the photo.

https://briancleary-bcpix.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/1989-Daytona-500/G0000ecGNkpBHj4U/I0000.C3iY5Pw2bE/C0000ssG1Lv6ZWGQ/

The Stroh's car is a few shades darker than the Sunoco car, and close in colour to the dark blue on the rear of the Valvoline car. There are also a few close-up pics of the Stroh's car in Brian's collection (check his 89 Pepsi 400 folder) that suggest that it is a metallic/poly paint.

My thought is that if TS-15 is reasonable for the Sunoco car, then TS-53 Deep Metallic Blue or TS-64 Dark Mica Blue would be good options for the Stroh's car.

Any suggestions, corrections or enlightenment would be welcomed.
iceman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the MCW page and they are different paint codes
Stroh’s Light #6 – 2049 blue
Sunoco – 2027 bl, 2085 y
when I did mine I used Model master paints
GM- ford engine Blue for the Stroh's car and Blue angle blue for the Sunoco cars. Don't know if this is correct, but looked really close to me.
elcejay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceman wrote:
Checked the MCW page and they are different paint codes
Stroh’s Light #6 – 2049 blue
Sunoco – 2027 bl, 2085 y
when I did mine I used Model master paints
GM- ford engine Blue for the Stroh's car and Blue angle blue for the Sunoco cars. Don't know if this is correct, but looked really close to me.

Thanks Iceman. Any thoughts on the Stroh's being poly/metallic?

https://briancleary-bcpix.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/1989-Daytona-July/G0000XTPHlpeWaGM/I0000cz8IkmfeIa0/C0000ssG1Lv6ZWGQ/

Here's the Peak Pontiac at the same race for comparison...

https://briancleary-bcpix.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/1989-Daytona-July/G0000XTPHlpeWaGM/I0000QHQY95JmKbg/C0000ssG1Lv6ZWGQ
iceman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think any of the Stroh's cars were metallic.
On the mcw site if the blue was metallic it would have met after the color.
I am sure that there are guys here that know more then me about these colors.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stroh’s blue is definitely not metallic. I used MCW paint for my 3 Stroh/Stroh’s builds, so i have no idea what color blue to use for it regarding Tamiya. If i were to build them again, i would probably use AS-8 (Navy Blue) with a gloss coat. TS-55 Dark Blue looks a little too dark on the can lid, i haven’t sprayed it yet.
elcejay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
Stroh’s blue is definitely not metallic. I used MCW paint for my 3 Stroh/Stroh’s builds, so i have no idea what color blue to use for it regarding Tamiya. If i were to build them again, i would probably use AS-8 (Navy Blue) with a gloss coat. TS-55 Dark Blue looks a little too dark on the can lid, i haven’t sprayed it yet.

Perfect. Thanks to both you and iceman for the help. I have no access to MCW, but a can of AS-8 is on on hand - that is a great option.
DarylH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used AS-8 on the one I'm building now. It looks good to me but I haven't clear coated yet.
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone whos Dad drank this beer religiously, I can assure you the blue Stroh's blue is NOT metallic. After years of helping hiding the cans, and recycling them, I can not forget that color blue. Nor the taste of that beer. It was horrible! Not a fan. I used Tamiya Dark blue. (Cant remember the number now I am at work) over a white primer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: