Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about exhaust pipes on 77 Monte Carlo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakefan77

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Question about exhaust pipes on 77 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

Hello all. I am building the Salvinos Holly Farms Cale Yarborough 77 Monte Carlo (square lights). I have searched the internet quite a bit and there doesn't seem to be too many clear pics of this version. I hope some of you have more knowledge on this than I do.

On the earlier Monte (round headlights) the pics of that car show both exhaust pipes coming from the driver side. Is this the case for the 77 Monte? I notice on the few pics of Cale's 77 Monte (looks like Riverside?) the exhaust comes out of both sides. So I guess I'm asking if that would be the same for a non-road course course car with that body style? Trying to build a somewhat accurate car and can't tell which way to go with it. Thanks for the help.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there is any " for sure " way to route tailpipes. Some drivers preferred both pipes routed out the passenger side, to keep the noise level down, while other drivers wanted both pipes out the left side, to hear and know the engine was running OK. Left side pipes also had the advantage of being less likely to become smashed shut from body lean on short tracks, although I'm thinking the heat from both pipes running under the driver's butt must have been severe Back in the Days of little or no interior heat protection.
Some exhaust systems were designed with a pipe out each side, for equal flow. Junior Johnson also used the " 180 degree " headers off & on for several years. This system was an effort to balance out the exhaust pulses by routing 2 primary pipes from each head under the engine to the opposite collector. ( Monogram's first GM kits had this system. ) Not sure if Junior was using 180 degree headers during the time frame you are modeling, however. Hopefully you will find a photo or 2 that helps out.
Wakefan77

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for responding with a great answer. I haven't found many pics of the 77 style Monte Carlo of Cale although it seems there are quite a few pics of other drivers from that time. Thanks.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pics of the Holly Farms Square headlight car that I can find (and they are not crystal clear) seem to show L&R pipes. As far as I know the Junior/Cale cars of that period never ran both pipes to one side.
Wakefan77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
The only pics of the Holly Farms Square headlight car that I can find (and they are not crystal clear) seem to show L&R pipes. As far as I know the Junior/Cale cars of that period never ran both pipes to one side.

Agreed. The only "good" pic I can seem to find of that are a couple from Riverside. I think I'll just go with pipes out of both sides and roll with it.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My “opinion” on these sort of things, unless you are striving for an exact “moment in time” accuracy level , or exact specific race trim. Many things can be left to the imagination or best guess. These cars changed week to week.
Once I realized that about 10 people will ever see my builds I stopped agonizing over header bends and ignition box placement and actually built a few cars. My wife has not commented on any contingencies being in the wrong location.
Now if I was building the car Ricky John whatshisname drove when he won the Honolulu 500 on Feb 29 1976.5 I would be searching to find what shade of pink was used on the right rear lug nuts( if you catch my drift...lol etc.)
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakefan77 wrote:
Firefly wrote:

Agreed. The only "good" pic I can seem to find of that are a couple from Riverside. I think I'll just go with pipes out of both sides and roll with it.

This is small but seems to hint at a single pipe on the driver side.

But here - what do you think?

I increased the contrast to that section - two pipes?

18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like 2 pipes to me
Wakefan77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
My “opinion” on these sort of things, unless you are striving for an exact “moment in time” accuracy level , or exact specific race trim. Many things can be left to the imagination or best guess. These cars changed week to week.
Once I realized that about 10 people will ever see my builds I stopped agonizing over header bends and ignition box placement and actually built a few cars. My wife has not commented on any contingencies being in the wrong location.
Now if I was building the car Ricky John whatshisname drove when he won the Honolulu 500 on Feb 29 1976.5 I would be searching to find what shade of pink was used on the right rear lug nuts( if you catch my drift...lol etc.)

I'm in the same boat. When I finish this build, it will most likely go in a place that very few will see it other than immediate family. I am not a rivet counter nor a build stock out of box modeler. I am caught somewhere in between.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be a rivet a counter , without being a rivet counter.
Certain details make or break the “vibe”, the rest is just details.

Last edited by Orangeastre on Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakefan77 wrote:
... When I finish this build, it will most likely go in a place that very few will see it other than immediate family. I am not a rivet counter nor a build stock out of box modeler. I am caught somewhere in between.

Same here. I have an 18" guideline: If it looks good from 18" without reading glasses, it's fine. And I glue the hoods shut. My two main objectives of accuracy are wheel fitment and cage fitment.
tc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior Johnson used the Kustom brand 180 degree headers exclusively from sometime in 1976 until the end of the 1983 season.1984 and later used the regular headers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: