Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/96 Skylab model WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Aircraft, Military, Ships, Sci-fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randy ayers
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: 1/96 Skylab model WIP Reply with quote

Well here is my current project... 1/96 Skylab space station.

I started by buying some corrugated paper for the upper and lower areas of the S-4B/workshop top and bottom rings...

Also bought 2BT-80 model rocket tubes and a couple BT-80 couplers... along with a baffle kit to reinforce the top and bottom of the tube and give me something to attach the top and bottom details of the station to... I then cut a section of BT-80 tube 4 7/8" tall and placed 2 sections of BT-80 coupler tube maybe 1/2" tall in the top and bottom so I could put the 2 baffles in and have something to rest them against and glue them to. Then I cut a strip of corrugated paper 1 1/2" inch wide for the top and 7/8" wide for the bottom ... the paper was adhesive backed but I added elmers to the area where the ends came together for added adhesion...

I then cut another section of BT-80 tube for the adapter between the S-4B/skylab/workshop and the upper shroud and nosecone that covered the docking module and appolo telescope mount at launch... this section has a section of BT-80 connector in the bottom which allows me to remove it from the top of the S-4B as I work on the upper details... and a section of BT-80 connector inside the top to give me something to position and glue the other baffle to...

This is the bottom baffle,,,

This is the top baffle... notice that I drilled a hole in the center of the baffle to math the one in the bottom baffle for the 1/4" wood dowel I'm going to make the stand with...

I then used a very small ex-acto saw blade to cut the top baffle... this is the opening for the EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity) Hatch area where the astronauts exited and entered the station during EVA's...

This is the EVA module the arrow points to the EVA ...hatch...

I then cut a disk out of card stock and cut out the EVA opening and glued it over the baffle...

I then cut a piece of BT-50 tube which I bought and curled it tighter (to about 7/8" dia from it's original 1 1/4" dia) and glued a piece of cardstock on which I reduced and printed an image if the hatch area of the EVA module and glued it to the backside of the baffle and built the walls of the EVA opening around it...

Then I masked and painted the outside of the adapter semi-gloss black and added wrinkled paper to the walls of the EVA area and made a cone shaped area for the transition area between the adapter and the Docking Module and covered it with wrinkled paper also...

Here is a picture of the 3 section I've done so far... the S-4B/Workshop is in the middle... The Adapter with the EVA details is in on the right and the upper EVA/ Docking Module ison the left...I will post a reply later with details about the docking module but right now I have to eat lunch and get ready for work...

Randy
randy ayers
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next to be added to my Skylab... details for the section between the corrugated top and bottom of the S-4B/Workshop printed on cardstock...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Aircraft, Military, Ships, Sci-fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: