Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

71/72 Baker #11 Charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: 71/72 Baker #11 Charger Reply with quote

Got the Salvino’s kit and Baker #11 Petty team car decals today from Mike’s; the decal placement sheet shows for the white car with red numbers and the red car with blue numbers.

I really like the foil numbers - does anyone have reference pics for the other cars, or could point me in the right direction for the other variations?

Thanks.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked for good references for the foil numbers when I did that artwork and couldn't find much. I saw the car run with the foil numbers in person, I'm pretty sure it was Atlanta in the spring of '72. I don't know for a fact but I believe the car went to Daytona for the 500 with the foil numbers and NASCAR made them change them, a friend of mine who was in the garage that year has told me that he recalls the blue on the numbers being brush painted onto the vinyl and he just assumed at the time that they used leftover vinyl red #11s from the year before and had a sign painter paint over the red with light blue. I did find this photo of the car in the garage early in Speedweeks, the foil is hard to capture on the super-bright neon paint especially when there are reflections.
You can see how the reflections affect the polished aluminum bumper fairings in that photo also.:

AndyS

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only race the #11 STP Dodge won in 1972 was the World 600, where the white numbers were used. Based on that victory, that's arguably the definitive version of the car.

Here's a photo album taken at the time and a video showing it with the white numbers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/classicnascar/albums/72157623244376995/with/4336944080/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBohYaYF3Q
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS wrote:
The only race the #11 STP Dodge won in 1972 was the World 600, where the white numbers were used. Based on that victory, that's arguably the definitive version of the car.

Here's a photo album taken at the time and a video showing it with the white numbers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/classicnascar/albums/72157623244376995/with/4336944080/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBohYaYF3Q

I want to thank you for posting the flickr link above. Those pics are fascinating and show some really cool behind the scenes shots, as well as some good detail for us model builders.

Do you know the story behind the photos? I assume they were taken by one of the Petty crew, or perhaps a family member?
AndyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:

I want to thank you for posting the flickr link above. Those pics are fascinating and show some really cool behind the scenes shots, as well as some good detail for us model builders.

Do you know the story behind the photos? I assume they were taken by one of the Petty crew, or perhaps a family member?

Hi Mark -Thanks for your comment. I agree, they're really interesting photos. That flickr album has been online for many years, maybe 10-15 years(?) - I can't remember exactly how long. I do remember that they were linked to and referenced in postings on the old version of this forum, many years before the crash and reboot of a few years ago. We are really fortunate that that album has not disappeared over the years, given the temporary nature of a lot of internet content.

I don't recall if the backstory was ever explained, but the I agree that the level of access the photographer had suggests some sort of inside connection with the Petty team.
odcics2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good photo of that car in an old SCR magazine, IIRC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: