Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvinos 1976 Charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Recon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Salvinos 1976 Charger Reply with quote

I received an email from Salvinos stating that their next release is a 1976 Charger!
Anyone know anything about this?
Mike

Last edited by Recon on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New decals in the 74 kit. But I like that scheme too.....
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be an typo or mistake ??? Or is Salvinos referring to the year this kit's paint & graphics were used ???
The 1976 DODGE Charger was a Chrysler Cordoba with a slightly different front end and different taillights. It was an older sister to the 1978 DODGE Magnum.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Salvinos JR kits are dated by the year THAT car depicted on the box was run, NOT the model year of that production car.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]safe_image by Matt Rodgers, on Flickr[/img]
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't 1974 the last production year of the Dodge Charger?
And seem to remember that NASCAR changed there rules to allow the Charger to run through the 1977 season. This meant that the rule changed from body style that was allowed for 2 years after the production of the cars ceased from 2 year to 3 years? This obviously benefited the teams that ran the Dodge Charger
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Redmond wrote:
All Salvinos JR kits are dated by the year THAT car depicted on the box was run, NOT the model year of that production car.

Which makes sense to me. I want the model that shows the car in the paint scheme of that year.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better way might be 'The Petty 1974 Charger from the 1976 season' to help the confusion.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't the '76 Petty Charger have the larger STP logo sprawled across the hood?

The box art shown above with the smaller STP hood logo looks more like a '74 car. And I get that these emblems can change from race to race, but it seemed like Petty ran most of that season with the bigger hood logo.
David Long

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: charger Reply with quote

1977 had large STP on hood
BrianP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1976 Petty charger began the season with the small STP logo, then by the Spring Talledega race had the large STP logo.

Here’s a photo from the 1976 Daytona 500 that most of us will instantly recognize:
https://flic.kr/p/2m3tSnN

bangor boy wrote:
Shouldn't the '76 Petty Charger have the larger STP logo sprawled across the hood?

That is the 1977 STP Charger. It has the dark blue stripes that become almost invisible in color photos from the time.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:

As I noted above, the Charger name was applied to the new Mopar Intermediate - body in 1975 and '76. The Chrysler Cordoba was the most well - known of the variants. The cars shared mechanicals and " greenhouse " ( the roof, windshield, & side & rear glass ), with separate front end styling and taillights. The 1975 - '76 Charger taillights & bumper were similar to the later Dodge Magnum.
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course The Chrysler Cordoba would be the best known. Afterall it had the Fine Corintian Leather Laughing
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working for a rental car company back then, got to drive both the Cbargers and Cordobas.
Rented a Charger for my vacation trip from the LA area to and from Phoenix via Bishop, CA and Las Vegas for the Western World Open sprint car races. The Charger did good on gas mileage even without cruise control. But, had ot let it warm up, as it did not like to be driven until it did....typical for that time....

Rented a Cordoba for a weekend to make the trip for LA to Bakersfield for a CRA sprint car race at the then fairly new Mesa Marin 1/2 paved track to take in the CRA sprint cars....

Another "fun fact"
On several Cordobas we flipped the air cleaner top over. When the engine was warmed up, we loved to floor the bas pedal and listen to the roar when when the back 2 barrels opened.
One day one of the QA inspectors was there for one of his inspections....he had gotten a Cordoba when he flew into the airport. Met him at the rental car parking at the airport the next day. He told me that he had gotten on the freeway the evening before and floored it to quickly get up to speed, those back 2 barrels opened up. Scared him as he thought the engine was blowing up. Trying not to laugh, I walked over the car he was driving, opened the hood and flipped the air cleaner lid back over.

Last edited by sentsat71 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Working for a rental car company back then, got to drive both the Cbargers and Cordobas.
Rented a Charger for my vacation trip from the LA area to and from Phoenix via Bishop, CA and Las Vegas for the Western World Open sprint car races. The Charger did good on gas mileage even without cruise control. But, had ot let it warm up, as it did not like to be driven until it did....typical for that time....

Rented a Cordoba for a weekend to make the trip for LA to Bakersfield for a CRA sprint car race at the then fairly new Mesa Marin 1/2 paved track to take in the CRA sprint cars....

Reading what you wrote reminded me of my experience with a Cordoba. A company I used to work for would do various commercial interior work and was involved in a project for a hotel chain just outside Washington D.C.. The guy from our company that was there on the job was a Mopar guy and he rented a Chrysler Cordoba on the companies dime. A couple of us had to drive a truck cross country to bring some of our equipment to this jobsite.

On Sunday, since this site was closed I grabbed the key to the Cordoba to run over to a mall that I could see from the hotel. As I drove to the mall I could visiblly watch the gas guage move downward and that car used about a third of a tank of gas to drive less than 10 miles RT.

When the job was complete and the bills for the rental car came in, it was more than enough to buy a new Cordoba outright! The bosses were a little upset, maybe a lot upset! He had the car for 2 months or more and spent another fortune on gasoline.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
sentsat71 wrote:

As I noted above, the Charger name was applied to the new Mopar Intermediate - body in 1975 and '76. The Chrysler Cordoba was the most well - known of the variants. The cars shared mechanicals and " greenhouse " ( the roof, windshield, & side & rear glass ), with separate front end styling and taillights. The 1975 - '76 Charger taillights & bumper were similar to the later Dodge Magnum.

Fun fact: The 'Cordoba/Charger/Magnum' picked up the windshield of the '71-'74 Charger.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
George Andrews wrote:
sentsat71 wrote:

Fun fact: The 'Cordoba/Charger/Magnum' picked up the windshield of the '71-'74 Charger.

Not surprising when you consider the cowl panel & windshield base was usually the hardest piece to design & tool up for stamping dies. The Flying Dutchman at the base of the rear window was another tough one, and likely the reason why the 1968 1/2 Dodge Charger 500 and the 1969 Daytona still had the mounting flanges for the original recessed rear window.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Wheels wrote:
[img]safe_image by Matt Rodgers, on Flickr[/img]

The Car depicted here was from that Infamous Finish at Daytona in '76 with Pearson.
The hood logo may have gotten bigger in later races in '76.
1320wayne1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a young me in front of my first car, which was a hand -me-down from my dad. 75 Charger Daytona. Only color scheme that was available for 75. By the time I got my hands on it there were a few little minor dings on the body but it ran like a champ, after swapping out the 360 lean burn engine for a 440.

Ironically enough, the truck that you see just a small piece of was an old Petty Dodge with the aluminum box that hauled the dual axle open trailer. I don't remember where my dad bought it from but it was documented and the aluminum box still had the Dodge by Petty lettering ghosted in the box sides.

1fozziebear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No late 70s or early 80s car pic is complete without the Cragar rust-o-matic wheels. Everybody had them. That 440 definitely helped get your nose down. Are those Lakeside traction bars?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: