Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1977- 79 Olds Pictures.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: 1977- 79 Olds Pictures. Reply with quote

Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some Chuck Bown?!
R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about you guys, but I've always found this paint scheme to be pretty attractive:

JNJ Decals made a fairly nice set for this car a few years back. You're on your own for the contingencies though...

Here's a few more pics just to add some color and variation, and maybe a little inspiration.... Laughing OK I know I'm getting sappy....

Buddy Baker's Daytona winner

This is the preserved version of one of Baker's Olds. Could be the Daytona winning frame but the paint scheme is different. If anyone knows please chime-in.

Another view of the museum car

A variation! This car is wearing only Spectra logos on the hood. rear deck and quarter panels. No NAPA can be seen.

Ol' King Richard had one!

Here's a rear view; note the custom "rag-cap" in the fuel filler.

Izzat Deedubyah flying in formation with Donnie Allison? Note the difference in spoilers.

Donnie flying in formation with Cale & Dale

Lastly, this is Donnie at the 1977 Firecracker 400

OK, that's it for now. Discuss amongst yourselves, there could be a pop quiz! Laughing Laughing

Jerry
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last pic of Donnie Allison shows a 1975 - 77 Chevy Laguna S-3, not a Cutlass. Embarassed Nice shot though... Laughing
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
The last pic of Donnie Allison shows a 1975 - 77 Chevy Laguna S-3, not a Cutlass. Embarassed Nice shot though... Laughing

D'OH!! Laughing Laughing

Here's the one I should have posted.

Thanks George, it's nice to know someone's paying attention!! Smile

Jerry
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries -- I've had a few Senior Moments myself lately !!!
The Laguna picture does serve to illustrate how NASCAR rule - making sometimes comes back to bite them in the back - side. After seeing the Laguna S-3 slope-nose dominate the Superspeedways, NASCAR saw fit to ban the car beginning in 1978, even though it still had a year of eligibility left by NASCAR's own rules. Sooo... the GM teams simply re - bodied their Lagunas as Olds Cutlass 442's, and they proceeded to dominate the Superspeedways for the next 3 seasons. ( This same deal would play out again in 1981, when the Rainer Racing / Bobby Allison Pontiac LeMans caused such a stir at Daytona that NASCAR mandated a smaller rear spoiler that rendered the car uncompetitive. Sooo... the GM teams all ran the Buick Regal and it dominated the Superspeedways for the next 2 seasons !!! )
A comparision look at both cars shows the similar profiles, and the same roof and greenhouse. The biggest issue with the Olds was the larger sail - panel window opening, which allowed much more air into the interior.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
No worries -- I've had a few Senior Moments myself lately !!!
The Laguna picture does serve to illustrate how NASCAR rule - making sometimes comes back to bite them in the back - side. After seeing the Laguna S-3 slope-nose dominate the Superspeedways, NASCAR saw fit to ban the car beginning in 1978, even though it still had a year of eligibility left by NASCAR's own rules. Sooo... the GM teams simply re - bodied their Lagunas as Olds Cutlass 442's, and they proceeded to dominate the Superspeedways for the next 3 seasons. ( This same deal would play out again in 1981, when the Rainer Racing / Bobby Allison Pontiac LeMans caused such a stir at Daytona that NASCAR mandated a smaller rear spoiler that rendered the car uncompetitive. Sooo... the GM teams all ran the Buick Regal and it dominated the Superspeedways for the next 2 seasons !!! )
A comparision look at both cars shows the similar profiles, and the same roof and greenhouse. The biggest issue with the Olds was the larger sail - panel window opening, which allowed much more air into the interior.

Senior moment!!? I'm only 23!! Laughing Laughing (Don't I wish!)

Thanks for fleshing out the history and reasons why teams switched from the Laguna to the Cutlass/ 442 body. Kind of shows how NASCAR will react to something then respond with a rule-change but because they often don't do their homework, will leave a huge gap in the new ruling, which the teams will jump through with both feet! Also did you notice the #2 car shown above running with Cale Yarborough & Donnie Allison is a Buick? A few teams found the Buick to be an OK substitute for the S-3 but it appears most teams found the Olds to be better.

BTW wasn't it the Ford teams running their "Thunder-bricks" and square front Montegos that complained about the S-3 having an unfair aero-advantage?
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all the non - GM teams complained about the Chevy Laguna S-3 Slope - nose. Even Richard Petty said: "... the Chevies are so fast I can't even draft with them. " Only The Wood Brothers with their heavily - massaged Mercurys could keep up. Keep in mind too that the Small Block Chevy engine was making more horsepower than the Fords or MOPARs, and more reliable power at that. So much so, that even the blunter Buick front end was competitive, after NASCAR allowed the SB Chevy to be used in any GM make except Cadillac, beginning in 1978.
The 1973 - 77 Chevy Monte Carlo also had a handling advantage, especially on the short tracks, due to the NASCAR engine set - back rule that placed the LF spark plug hole even with the front spindle. Due to the way the body sat on the chassis, this placed the motor further back than the other makes. Yes, NASCAR " fixed " this too after much complaining by the Blue Oval boys. Rolling Eyes
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo R.J.! Ah but you have challenged me to do better! Laughing

If you scroll back to the first pic of the #28 Olds right after the Cale Yarborough set, you'll notice an Olds that is almost obscured by the 28. The white one #30:

This is the '77 Olds Cutlass driven by Tighe Scott in the 1979 Daytona 500. According to Racing Reference Info, he started 33rd and finished 6th. Not too bad! The car is incorrectly listed as a Buick however.
The blurb in the sales ad says that David Pearson drove this car in 1980 at Daytona, but in checking the facts, Pearson only competed in the Firecracker 400 that year, starting and finishing in 2nd place and he was indeed driving an Olds. But the sponsor was Hawaiian Tropic and the owner was Hoss Ellington. It was Walt Ballard who is listed as the owner of the #30. Even though Scott did drive an Olds at Daytona, evidence shows he drove a Buick for most of the rest of the year. That being said it is entirely possible that Ellington bought this car in 1980. Don't know since a "chain of custody" would have to be done on the frame number for this car to determine it's true history.
The photos here are from Hemmings Motor News when the car was listed for sale in 2015 for the princely sum of $18,000. It has since been sold. Don't know who bought it, but it looks to be well cared for in these photos.

Slot Car Fever produces a set of decals for this car in several scales. Seems I've seen a set from another decal producer in the past but my memory isn't what it used to be... wait, what were we talking about?? Laughing
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ,but what about this one, I have no clue on the history of this car.
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:
Don't know about you guys, but I've always found this paint scheme to be pretty attractive:

Jerry

Chassis pics of this one are what I posted in this forum. I have other shots of the interior which I will post at some point. The car exists in original condition and the pictures are from when it was u for sale a few years back. There's a nice Youtube video of it (with Mike Beam and Tim Brewer!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA1VmpqkeVM
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
Nice ,but what about this one, I have no clue on the history of this car.

Gotcha covered on this one.

It's a promotional photo taken at Charlotte before the start of the 1979 season. It's a rapidly put-together paint scheme to promote Jr. Johnson's acquisition of the Busch Beer sponsorship. This paint scheme was never run in competition. By the time the Riverside race began a couple of weeks after this photo, the more familiar paint scheme we see in the previous photos above was applied.

Nice photo. Keeping me on my toes!

Jerry Smile
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly: I saw those pics you posted, all great stuff! I highly recommend anyone interested in building a better model or just want to know more about these Oldsmobiles, check out those photos. Bookmark both of these threads.

Can't wait to see those interiors. I have only a few so I'm anxious to see more!

Thanks!
Jerry
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J.:
#2 Dale Earnhardt
#47 Geoffrey Bodine
#71 Dave Marcis
#11 Cale Yarborough
#43 Richard Petty
#24 Cecil Gordon
#12 Harry Gant
#51 AJ Foyt
So how am I doing?? Smile

Jerry
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:
Firefly: I saw those pics you posted, all great stuff! I highly recommend anyone interested in building a better model or just want to know more about these Oldsmobiles, check out those photos. Bookmark both of these threads.

Can't wait to see those interiors. I have only a few so I'm anxious to see more!

Thanks!
Jerry

Just did- check em out!
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys got a challenge for you.

This photo is from the 1980 Daytona 500.

First part of the challenge: who drove this car? (Should be pretty easy you can actually get that from the URL tag on the photo by clicking the "Quote" button)

Second who owned the car and who was the sponsor for this race?
Kid's stuff I know, but that's just meant to get you warmed up...

Here's the real challenge: Find a better photo of this Olds and post it here....

The winner will get the undying gratitude of Oldsmobile-philes everywhere and shall be hence-forth known as a champion among men! Laughing
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:
OK guys got a challenge for you.

This photo is from the 1980 Daytona 500.

First part of the challenge: who drove this car? (Should be pretty easy you can actually get that from the URL tag on the photo by clicking the "Quote" button)

Second who owned the car and who was the sponsor for this race?
Kid's stuff I know, but that's just meant to get you warmed up...

Here's the real challenge: Find a better photo of this Olds and post it here....

The winner will get the undying gratitude of Oldsmobile-philes everywhere and shall be hence-forth known as a champion among men! Laughing

According to Racing Reference, it was-

Chuck Bown driving, Jim Testa owning, and King’s Mountain Truck Plaza was sponsoring.

Yes? I know i cheated...

Confused:
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:

According to Racing Reference, it was-

Chuck Bown driving, Jim Testa owning, and King’s Mountain Truck Plaza was sponsoring.

Yes? I know i cheated...

Confused:

Hah! Good Job! No you didn't cheat, Didn't say it was open or closed book, so your resourcefulness has paid off Congrats! Very Happy Now that you're all warmed up... let's see what you come up with on the 2nd part of the challenge! Definitely open book, grab all the resources at your disposal!
I'm confident someone will come up with a better photo!

Jerry
R.J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #77 is Harry Gant in the Sportsman or Permatex race, that car looks a lot like the Jr Johnson car pictured above.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:

The #77 is Harry Gant in the Sportsman or Permatex race, that car looks a lot like the Jr Johnson car pictured above.

Some nice Oldsmobile pics! The #77 is Gant at Charlotte in the Late Model Sportsman Race in Oct 1978. Haven't found any info on who he was driving for at that time, but it is almost precisely the promotional paint scheme on the #11 Cup car. The #77 Busch Beer sponsorship pre-dated the #11 sponsorship by 2 months or so +/-

Here's another photo of the "Busch unveiling" by the Jr. Johnson team note this version has the front fenders in white!:

Thanks R.J. you're keeping me up late at night!! Laughing
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mods!!!
We need to make this thread a Sticky!!!
Bill
Wall tester

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. Very nice pictures. Nice to see pic. of Gary Baker in the #4 Waylon Jennings car. Looking for someone to make decals of that car?
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Hey Mods!!!
We need to make this thread a Sticky!!!
Bill

If this is made a sticky, the 2 other threads posted by Firefly should also be included. (Chassis & Interior details).

Jerry
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall tester wrote:
Yes indeed. Very nice pictures. Nice to see pic. of Gary Baker in the #4 Waylon Jennings car. Looking for someone to make decals of that car?

I'm guessing that this car was an early Morgan - McClure entry ??? The car number and number style are hints...
Wall tester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Anyone, please feel free to correct me) I think that car was owned by GC Spencer who later sold team (early 80s) to Morgan McClure Racing . I have color pic of this car from Daytona
Not sure how to post. Car was red. Ps. Still interested in decals. Car and decals have been on bucket list a long time.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall tester wrote:
(Anyone, please feel free to correct me) I think that car was owned by GC Spencer who later sold team (early 80s) to Morgan McClure Racing . I have color pic of this car from Daytona
Not sure how to post. Car was red. Ps. Still interested in decals. Car and decals have been on bucket list a long time.

One thing I enjoy about many of us on this board, is our taste for the obscure!
(Still looking for a better photo of that yellow #68 above! Laughing)

Gary Baker only entered in 2 Cup races; both were superspeedways and both in 1980. The car in the photo is from the 1980 Daytona 500 for which he DNQ'd. Probably as a result of the wreck he appears to be involved in...

The next and only other Cup race for Baker was the Winston 500 at Talladega driving a Chevy. His car suffered an oil pump failure after 145 laps and he finished 22nd in the race.

G.C Spencer did indeed sell the team to Morgan-McClure in 1983. He then went to work for M-McC for about the first 3 years of their ownership. Spencer's assigned number was 49. I can't explain why the car is wearing a number 4 in your photo, but the Morgan-McClure cars all carried the number 4 after they bought the team.

On the decal front, (my reality-check) you may be able to make these yourself as there are several DIYs on the internet showing how to accomplish this. You could also beg, plead, grovel, and sacrifice your first-born to see if one of our member decal makers could do it for you. Keep in mind though, most of them (and rightly so) are concerned with the cost/benefit of taking on a project like this. Even though this is a fairly simple project, its obscurity almost insures that they won't touch it. There would have to be more than a few people that are potentially interested in a set of these decals for them to consider spending time and incurring cost doing what it takes to bring these to market.

Lastly, as for posting photos, you need a photo-hosting website to accomplish this. I use Fotki which charges a very small fee I think I pay $10 for the whole year, or you can use one of several competing sites that offer free hosting (probably with some restrictions). Many of our members use the free services with great success. I stuck with Fotki because they already have all my older "pre-crash" pics so it was simply just a matter of renewing the very inexpensive subscription. Do yourself a huge favor and stay away from Photobucket!! For many reasons (too many to list here) they made an internal policy decision to change their business model and effectively locked -out a huge number of their users from their photos.

Hope this helps.
Jerry
R.J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the picture of the #4 car spinning is from the twin 125 race, most likely damaged enough to not make the race.
Larry McClure is kin to my wife but I have not seen him in about 4 years as we live in Roanoke and they are in the Abington area. I have been by the old original 4 bay shop in Chilhowie a many a time back in the 80's before they built the new shop in Abington Va.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
I am pretty sure the picture of the #4 car spinning is from the twin 125 race, most likely damaged enough to not make the race.
Larry McClure is kin to my wife but I have not seen him in about 4 years as we live in Roanoke and they are in the Abington area. I have been by the old original 4 bay shop in Chilhowie a many a time back in the 80's before they built the new shop in Abington Va.

Small world R.J.! I never stop being impressed with the backgrounds and personal experiences and relationships our members have with the racing community. BTW yes I should have mentioned that the #4 was damaged in one of the Twin 125s. I was in a rush and didn't refine my facts too well before posting.

I haven't been to Roanoke since I was dating my first ex-wife! Laughing She actually lived in N. Carolina near Camp Lejeune. Always liked Roanoke. Went there to visit a couple of steam locomotives the Norfolk and Western was running at the time. Very impressive! The ex-wife was underwhelmed, she and I parted ways for other reasons though! Laughing Laughing
R.J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the old 611 steam locomotive was completely restored a few years back and runs excursions out of Roanoke a few times a year.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more photos of some not-so-common Oldsmobiles

Richard Childress... Never heard of him! Laughing

Buck Simmons at Talladega in 1980 with Dale Earnhardt and DW hot on his tail. Earnhardt finished 2nd in that race IIRC and DW finished 42nd. Ol' Buck here got him a 24th place finish. I really never heard of this guy!

Cecil Gordon at Riverside. Photo is labelled 1981. I question that though as this would have been a 4-year old body in '81. Cecil did not compete at Riverside in 1980, but he did in 1979 and '81; both times driving an Olds. Also I think the rules may have been different for the Riverside race at the time allowing for an older body-style here but by the time Daytona came around the teams were expected to have a car that was 3-years old or newer. I need to do some homework. So for now the date stands at 1981.
waylandcool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:

Buck Simmons at Talladega in 1980 with Dale Earnhardt and DW hot on his tail. Earnhardt finished 2nd in that race IIRC and DW finished 42nd. Ol' Buck here got him a 24th place finish. I really never heard of this guy!

Cecil Gordon at Riverside. Photo is labelled 1981. I question that though as this would have been a 4-year old body in '81. Cecil did not compete at Riverside in 1980, but he did in 1979 and '81; both times driving an Olds. Also I think the rules may have been different for the Riverside race at the time allowing for an older body-style here but by the time Daytona came around the teams were expected to have a car that was 3-years old or newer. I need to do some homework. So for now the date stands at 1981.

1981 was the year NASCAR converted to the smaller wheelbase cars. I think NASCAR allowed the old wheelbase bodies at Riverside that year because a bunch of teams stored their 1980 cars in California since the season began and ended in Riverside that year. So I could see a 76 Olds being in the race.
Wall tester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry for all info on the Gary Baker car. Kind of remembered Morgan McClure deal. As for decals I would choose option B (beg & plead & throw myself to to knowledgeable decal maker). Lol. I am a retired welder, just like any welder only muchhappier! And limited computer skills. Thank again, Ray
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waylandcool wrote:
67 Fairlane wrote:

1981 was the year NASCAR converted to the smaller wheelbase cars. I think NASCAR allowed the old wheelbase bodies at Riverside that year because a bunch of teams stored their 1980 cars in California since the season began and ended in Riverside that year. So I could see a 76 Olds being in the race.

The picture of the # 24 Cecil Gordon Olds was not taken at Riverside, as the famed road course didn't have any high - banked LEFT Turns. Also, the fuel filler was on the wrong side of the car.
Regarding the mix of old & new cars at Riverside, NASCAR only allowed this in the January, 1981 race. Of the several theories I have uncovered for this deal, the most likely are the fact that many Cup teams simply did not have new 110" wb short track / road course cars ready, and the teams that did didn't want to risk tearing up a brand new car on the road course that was known to be hard on equipment. The Wood Brothers # 21 with Neil Bonnett, and Osterland Racing # 2 with Dale Earnhardt, were 2 teams that I can remember with 1981 cars at the race.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:

The picture of the # 24 Cecil Gordon Olds was not taken at Riverside, as the famed road course didn't have any high - banked LEFT Turns. Also, the fuel filler was on the wrong side of the car.
Regarding the mix of old & new cars at Riverside, NASCAR only allowed this in the January, 1981 race. Of the several theories I have uncovered for this deal, the most likely are the fact that many Cup teams simply did not have new 110" wb short track / road course cars ready, and the teams that did didn't want to risk tearing up a brand new car on the road course that was known to be hard on equipment. The Wood Brothers # 21 with Neil Bonnett, and Osterland Racing # 2 with Dale Earnhardt, were 2 teams that I can remember with 1981 cars at the race.

George, the fuel filler should have been the most obvious "give-away" for me. And though it is a tightly cropped photo and one that has been angled to enhance the high banking, it is apparent upon closer examination that the curve is indeed a higher bank than what would have been experienced at Riverside. I know better than to blindly trust the person who captioned the photo, just didn't perform my due-diligence this time...

In re-checking the Racing Reference Info webpage: http://www.racing-reference.info/drivdet/gordoce01/1979/W we can see that Gordon drove an Oldsmobile for the entire 1979 season. However I've ruled this out because he didn't acquire the South Hill Texaco sponsorship until the 1st Charlotte race in 1980. BTW I must correct another mistake of mine when I said the Gordon did not run Riverside in 1980. He actually did but he ran the 2nd Riverside event (15th race) driving an Oldsmobile but his sponsorship there was Reliable RV. At the end of the 1980 season his relationship with South Hill Texaco ended. http://www.racing-reference.info/drivdet/gordoce01/1980/W

In 1981 he ran an Oldsmobile only once and that was the 1st Riverside race in January. It most likely was the '77 bodied car, but it was a self-sponsored car and is not the one pictured here. He ran '81 Buicks almost exclusively for 1981 (with 3 exceptions). http://www.racing-reference.info/drivdet/gordoce01/1981/W

So, based on the above, the photo of the #24 car was taken in 1980
It is NOT a Riverside photo.
Based on the sponsorship it could have been taken as early as the 1st Charlotte race of 1980.

You guys are great at helping to keep the facts straight. Peer revue on this stuff is necessary for accuracy. Please feel free to chime-in with anything you see that may be amiss.

Thanks! Smile
Jerry
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links to Racing Reference; I always find interesting info there. To Wit : In 1981 Cecil Gordon drove a #53 Broadway Motors Pontiac ( 2nd car for Jimmy Means ??? ) at the spring North Wilkesboro race, then he finished out the season in several borrowed or rent - a - ride cars, including the " Rick Newsom # 20 Chevy ", which was a well - traveled Monte Carlo.
Also, the 1979 reference lists Gordon as driving the # 19 Henley Gray Chevrolet in the fall races at Charlotte and North Wilkesboro.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, Your mention of links reminded me that I forgot to do something. Earlier I mentioned I was going to post the links to the other 3 threads related to this one. Inevitably these links will get separated and hard to find as some will get more clicks than others. So to keep things easy-peesy for everyone I'll post those links here:

1977 OLDS INTERIOR PICS - Cale/Junior Johnson Car

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=522

1977 OLDS 442 CHASSIS PICS - Good Reference for '70s Cars

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=454

1977 OLDS Cale/Junior Johnson - Great Reference Video!
http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=521

So now there's no excuse for not having the whole package!! Smile
Wall tester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit of info about Buck Simmons and the #12 car. Buck was a tremendous dirt track racer in the southeast during 60s thru 90s. I think he won over 1000 races including the World 100 @Eldora. As for the #12 car, that was owned by Ronnie Childers and driven be several drivers including Harry Gant, Donnie Allison, and David Pearson.
BW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's three you don't see too often:

J.D. McDuffie:
[img]

Benny Parsons:
[img]

Dick Brooks:
[img]

Bobby
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!!! Shocked I've never seen the # 70 J.D. McDuffie Olds 4-4-2 before. Thanks !!!
Calhoun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can add a few that aren't already posted.

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Calhoun! Was wonderin' when you were going to jump in! Very Happy

Keep 'em coming!

Jerry
R.J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics R.J.! Always good to see more Oldsmobiles.

You know in looking at the photo from Talladega above, I realized how much these cars literally dominated the high-speed tracks between 1978 thru 1980.

Sort of forgot about that in my old-age!
Laughing Laughing
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before it was the Gray Ghost. Harry Ranier's Olds was brought to victory lane at Talladega in '78 by Lennie Pond.

Check out the location of the rear wheel. I know the GM A-bodies had to stretch the stock wheelbase, but it looks like the body was hung forward on the chassis somewhat...

Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many variations on the wheel arches in several of the pics in this thread. They go from almost stock looking to the 'hacked' look to huge pockets bulged into the panels for tire clearance.

Also noted the 'crease' in the lower side panels seems sharper on some and almost non-existent on others. Makes me wonder if some earlier bodies (Lagunas?) were reskinned on the front and rear clips to turn them into an Olds while keeping the Chevy doors and quarters. Seems the Olds from '76-'77 might have had an aero advantage over the other bodies to make a 'conversion' worthwhile.

I think this makes it challenging for a model car company to try to be 'exact' on a model as each car has some differences - maybe even the same car through the season or from season to season, as these bodies were legal right through the 1980 season (in fact I think they were even legal for the first race of '81 at Riverside).

Great pics and thanks to all who have posted them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: