Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bud Moore initial RC Cola 1972 Torino [9-25 Update]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Bud Moore initial RC Cola 1972 Torino [9-25 Update] Reply with quote

I had an extra AMT/Johan Torino body for a while and finally decided to tackle it. I had used the flat kit hood for a '73 conversion - so I had a proper 'humped' MPC Torino hood to use. (Made the body trim removal worthwhile!).
Did lots of work on the front half, getting the nose down a bit and building out the wheel opening flares

I always liked the RC Cola scheme, and more recently discovered that the original car at Riverside had a huge RC Cola logo on the roof, in place of the car number. I'm sure the RC Cola people loved the idea, but the inspectors apparently did not. Bud duct-taped a big 15 over it for the event. I'm not planning on including that detail. I did however need to design and print the additional RC elements, to add to the excellent PowerSlide set. Base paint is Tamiya white (Bottle and brush!) The red and blue came out a bit bright in this photo.

Last edited by Firefly on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test fitting the body on a chassis I pulled from an earlier ('73) Torino build. Those 5-slot wheels are wrong for this build, and I will replace them with blue H-Ms, but they look so badass on the Torino, it's tempting to use them.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good....one of my fav cars of the era. Trivia: This scheme was the very first decal art I did for sale. DNL back in the 80's!
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work so far. Will be following along.
Back when paint jobs were simple and iconic. Now they change them every week.
As far as the 5 hole wheel, they ran them the following year with Baker, so maybe this version used them at some point.
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe it when I see what you achieved brushing Tamiya. This Torino is stunning. I look forward to the rest of this great build. What chassis do you plan to use for this beauty?
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Rivard wrote:
I still can't believe it when I see what you achieved brushing Tamiya. This Torino is stunning. I look forward to the rest of this great build. What chassis do you plan to use for this beauty?

Thanks. I will post this in the brush painting thread when done.
White is a good choice to brush paint as surface imperfections are less visible!
This chassis is from an AMT T-bird kit, with 1/24 Monogram wheels in PPP tires.
jchrisf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brush painted? Wow, I can't tell from the pics. Great job! Why did you brush paint it?
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchrisf wrote:
Brush painted? Why did you brush paint it?

Pierre Rivard inspired me. I figure solid white would be a safe color to start with. Tamiya acrylics are great to work with. Here is a '75 Torino I am working on. Polished out well.

jchrisf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
jchrisf wrote:
Brush painted? Why did you brush paint it?

Pierre Rivard inspired me. I figure solid white would be a safe color to start with. Tamiya acrylics are great to work with. Here is a '75 Torino I am working on. Polished out well.

This one also looks great Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: