Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino's '71-'72 Chargers first impression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Salvino's '71-'72 Chargers first impression Reply with quote

I received my pre-order from Mike today, I didn't pull all the sprues out of the bag yet but I expect it to be identical to the parts package for the '73.

The great news is the body! At first look they seem to have nailed the correct '71-'72 character lines and the shape of the side windows, both of which were necessities to getting the look right. The bonus that I wasn't expecting was they appear to have fixed the contour of the lower rear quarters behind the wheelwells, it was a bit swollen and ill-defined in the '73 body. Not enough to be a deal killer, but I'm very happy they worked on that area a bit.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine on the way.....really wanted this one more than 73.....good news!
WR

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built two of them and they turned out super nice, no problems at all.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news! Thank you for the assessment, Tom. My kits should be here Monday...
BadJuju81

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Savlino's 1971 Charger Reply with quote

I have my copy. Looks fantastic! I got the K&K decals. They are the '68-'76 sheet, so way more than what's needed. The instructions for the decals aren't very detailed, though, so I've been researching photos online. I've noticed at some races they had the flat hood (not included in the kit), and some the power bulge hood. Sometimes the bumper was chrome, sometimes red. There was always a blacked out area under the front bumper going about halfway back to the front wheel well. I'd like to do the car Bobby Isaac won the Firecracker 400 in. I saw one winner's circle photo in black and while, and it appeared the bumper was red, and the hood had the power bulge. I don't have the kit in front of me at the moment, but I think there is a set of flat (not stepped) grille inserts that will work. More later as I learn more. Anyone with better research, please chime in.
BadJuju81

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I did notice in the kit is that the window ledge air deflectors for the '73-'74 body are included, but I didn't see them for the '71-'72 body. They should be easy enough to make out of very thin sheet styrene. There are THREE sets of wheels: chrome 5 slot, white 5 slot, white no slots! The chrome tree had valve covers for the 360 engine, too.

Also, in researching the K&K cars, there were a variety of rear spoilers depending on the race venue.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff! Would love to see pics if possible. Same with the '73-'74 as I haven't seen it yet either.
drppr76

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the body is pretty close to the 71 MPC Buddy Baker Charger - my only issue is with the 5 slot wheels - the slots look kind of narrow - I can maybe use PPP wheels if I want - Looking forward to building this 👍
BadJuju81

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check out hpiguy's build of the '73 Petty, you can see everything save the '71 body. I think there is a '73 Petty thread showing photos of each tree, which are all the same between the kits. I will post some shots of the body as soon as I can. Lots of family stuff going on for me today thru Mothers' Day.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I had looked around but not in the right forums. I've seen the '73/4 now and am now comfortable with ordering both that and the new '71/2.
BadJuju81

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some photos, but need to learn how to post them here. The flat grille inserts are there. Lots of nice options. The rear bumper fairings are molded in, too ... nice touch. I do wish the '71-'72 window ledge air deflectors and flat hood were included, tho. Maybe they will add those when they release specific versions, like when they updated the Olds bumpers and rear suspension. Maybe there will be parts kits, too. Luckily, my chosen subject uses the power bulge hood.
BadJuju81

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to add images. I tried using the Img button and copying the link from my Google drive, but that didn't seem to work.

Last edited by BadJuju81 on Fri May 07, 2021 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos must be on the net on a site like Fotki.....can not post from your PC
BadJuju81

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would Google Photos work?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a 'http:' address from the photo.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To post pics, I usually upload them to imgur (free photo hosting site) at this link: https://imgur.com/upload

You can upload your photos by dragging them to the box labeled "drop images here".

After you upload the photo, select "get share links" and copy the one for BBB messageboards. Then just paste that link in the text box here when you are posting.

My instructions may have left out a detail or two, but I hope this is helpful.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my three 71-72 kits today and all three have the A pillars sucked in SLIGHTLY.......I think windshield install will fix it. Looks like the plastic needs a few more seconds cooling before being ejected. Other than that looking forward to building one.
BW

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received mine today and I'm impressed! Only issues I see, and they are minor, is that I wish we would've gotten the flat hood along with the bulged hood. A few sink marks and flash, and a few injection pin marks, but these are not that big of an issue and can be easily fixed. I also have a resin flat hood I've had for a while and luckily it fits perfect. I think the flat hood came from SMH but it's been years ago. I'm pretty sure the aftermaket will soon provide the flat hood. Really can't wait to start this one!

Tip of the hat to SalvinosJR! Well done and keep'em comin'!

-Bobby
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't all 71's have the flat hood??? I may try a old MPC flat hood I have.
joe b

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadJuju81 wrote:
One thing I did notice in the kit is that the window ledge air deflectors for the '73-'74 body are included, but I didn't see them for the '71-'72 body. They should be easy enough to make out of very thin sheet styrene. There are THREE sets of wheels: chrome 5 slot, white 5 slot, white no slots! The chrome tree had valve covers for the 360 engine, too.

Also, in researching the K&K cars, there were a variety of rear spoilers depending on the race venue.

a couple of other things i noticed is steps 6&7. step 6 shows the control arm installed to the front spindles and step 7 shows the torsion bars and lower suspension installed over it. i don't know if that's correct ,i think the torsion bars should be placed first. will it clear the engine oil pan? most kits i've built the control arm is not covered. also i don't see a fuel pump on the engine block(easy enough to fix)
one thing i am not sure of and maybe tom m or doc craft can answer it but step 12 shows the oil filter as remote on the engine hoop. is that right or is it supposed to be on the engine?
also what is that square box behind the seat? the battery is in the trunk and too small to be an oil tank.
and step 26 shows an fuel overflow but there is none molded on the body.
other than those small things and the window deflectors not included and no flat hood it looks like a real good kit. i'm looking forward to building it, whenever that comes.

joe
Matt T.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Didn't all 71's have the flat hood??? I may try a old MPC flat hood I have.

I’ve seen some pictures online via Google searches of Buddy’s white 11 in ‘71 with a hood bulge. One black & white on Twitter says it’s Charlotte and a color shot on Pinterest with the hood up clearly shows it.
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics, please!!
Matt T.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images.app.goo.gl/sGbEhuGHkBRaekwE7

https://images.app.goo.gl/XX9vgUevAegMSwYd9
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work has kept me busy lately and I had to dig through a lot of moving boxes to find my Panther Pink and TS-23 spray cans (wouldn't you know it, both cans were in the same box) but I've been prepping and priming. I hope I get them both in war paint this weekend, the '73 will be a box stock Petty build and the '71 will be a Panther Pink John Sears build. The '71 body is nicer than the '73 but they're both good representations of the actual cars.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sears car will be cool!
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,Tom. Looks pretty good.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pics, Tom! Both look great!

I have a couple of '73s on the way and a '71 as well. Looking forward to them!
Matt T.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="joe b"]
BadJuju81 wrote:
...step 26 shows an fuel overflow but there is none molded on the body....
joe

I found the fuel overflow. It’s a separate part - #116 by the engine fan and hoses.
john2018

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody looking for a flat hood for the 71-72 . Harts Parts Resin sells a flat hood for the 72 MPC Charger, I've used his stuff for years and it's great.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a MPC hood on the Salvinos.....close but not a direct fit.
joe b

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I tried a MPC hood on the Salvinos.....close but not a direct fit.

what would have to be done to it dave?
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't someone here flattened a bulged hood? I seem to recall. An Xacto knife and some scrap styrene seems a way more cost effective solution if you have a bit of skill...
Mark C.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be doable, though it's not completely flat (the hood has a slightly convex shape and there is a styling ridge up the middle of it).

I haven't seen one in a long time, but didn't the MPC NASCAR '71 Charger have a flat hood without the ridge (that was incorrect)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: