Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One that did NOT start out as an AMT Modified Stocker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: One that did NOT start out as an AMT Modified Stocker Reply with quote

This started out as build right out of the box of the AMT 1969 Torino 3n1 kit. Did build it as the NASCAR version....and I mean right out of the box. totally unpainted.
Though did start adding some color to it,

Then once I started painting my builds, took it apart, removed the glass and made a late model out of it. Changed out the # decals....

After scrapping the Chevelle modified stocker, moved those wheels/tires to this one, and put on the Torino

Though hard to see in the 2nd pic from the top, cut the opening out in the hood and put the kit air scoop on, reversed....
And this is what that build looks like today....
The Fairlane and Torino have made 4 cross country trips, From Iowa to Southern CA to central FL, to Albuquerque and back to Iowa between 1972 andf 2014
steveracer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed that history of the model is awesome! Looks like you too, snuck up to the rooftop to smoke some ciggies, read playboys and take pictures of model cars...LOL.

I remember building that Torino back on a rainy day or two up north on vacation with the family. Went in town, got the car - paint, and went to it. Did the blue and gold version with David Pearson.

I really love the old photos, and the sharing them with us. thumbs up.

Razz
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments....

Some of the updating on this build was due to not finding any kits I WANTED to build.
That was the case while growing up in small town Iowa. No actual hobby shops close by. Most kits back then wer bought in a "variety" type store that had an end cap for model kits. This Torino was bought at a large store (for this area at the time) called Gibsons, either in Fairmont or Albert Lea, MN back in 1969/70...

Speaking of reworking kits....here's one:

Early to mid 1960'sMercury Comet(?) with AMT '57 Chevy frame and custom/race seat, gas tank from AMT'65 Ford Galaxie, front axle/wheels/tires as well as rear axle/tires/wheels from the Lindberg White Lightning kit, rear springs from Little Red Wagon kit. engine and exhaust from junk box, as well as other parts. Most of the roll cage is from part trees built unpainted around 1970. Painted in the Mid '70's. Decalled around 2006-07
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those old builds. Wish I still had my old ones from the 60's. When you had to improvise and use whatever parts you had on hand!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of OLD builds....

VERY few of these builds are still around...only 4 cars and the original IMC Dodge L-700 semi tractor. plus 3 old trailers that cannot really be seen, except the one behind the early 60's Ford pickup wih the black '32 Ford race car...

Only survivors form this pic are the Torino Fairlane and the Semi tractor....
Not, that is not a different Chaparall Can-Am car, is was reworked from the previous pic, as was the Torino, in the mid '70's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: