Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddy Arrington color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchpl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Buddy Arrington color Reply with quote

Hi All
one Question about Buddy Arrington's Blue and red cars :
was the red of the Magnum/Mirada / Imperial a normal red or a Dayglo red , please ?
tahnx to all for any help...
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Buddy Arrington bought several of his early cars used from Petty Enterprises, it would figure they were painted STP Red & Petty Blue. Chances are he stayed with those colors on his later cars. He did run a solid blue Mirada on short tracks & at Riverside. The finances of an Independent Owner / Driver don't always allow the luxury of a complete repainting.
frenchpl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
Since Buddy Arrington bought several of his early cars used from Petty Enterprises, it would figure they were painted STP Red & Petty Blue. Chances are he stayed with those colors on his later cars. He did run a solid blue Mirada on short tracks & at Riverside. The finances of an Independent Owner / Driver don't always allow the luxury of a complete repainting.

thanx a lot for this 1rst response !

anyone could confirm ? thanx again .
john843

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak to all of Buddy's blue and red cars but at least two of them that I saw up close had blue that could have been Petty Blue (or possibly a shade darker) and a red that decidedly was not dayglo.
Here is an interesting article on Buddy.
\
http://raceenginesplus.com/bio_buddy_arrington.htm

John
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Can't speak to all of Buddy's blue and red cars but at least two of them that I saw up close had blue that could have been Petty Blue (or possibly a shade darker) and a red that decidedly was not dayglo.
\

John

Thanks for sharing the link!
frenchpl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
\

John

thanx for this very interesting arrticle / Story of BA.
about the red , dayglo or not, i'm a little in doubt, because some of the pix we can see , show a kind of "saturated red" that signs a dayglo in the reality car ...
john843

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

]

about the red , dayglo or not, i'm a little in doubt, because some of the pix we can see , show a kind of "saturated red" that signs a dayglo in the reality car ...[/quote]

frenchpl,
Certainly some of them may have been the dayglo red. As George said and the article confirms, he received a lot of help (cars included) from the Petty's. It may have been the case that when he first received the cars from PE, the red was in good enough shape to run for a while as is was but the dayglo fades super fast and needs to be kept up. Again, as George stated, with Buddy's finances already stretched to the limit, it may have been a case of "paint it with regular red and forget it" when the dayglo turned pinkish-orange.
In '81 M.C. Anderson bought two completely intact Petty cars, a Monte Carlo and a superspeedway Old's (with the recently outlawed longer wheelbase) with the idea of starting a racing museum in Savannah. After about 5 or 6 months sitting outside his shop, the dayglo was decimated by the sun. It turned a light orangish pink with streaks of white showing throughout.
One of the two cars, (the Olds I think) is still in a storage unit outside Savannah. Heard that the other one was chopped up to try and make an ARCA car out of it some years later.... probably a bad financial decision:(

John
frenchpl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
]

about the red , dayglo or not, i'm a little in doubt, because some of the pix we can see , show a kind of "saturated red" that signs a dayglo in the reality car ...

frenchpl,
Certainly some of them may have been the dayglo red. As George said and the article confirms, he received a lot of help (cars included) from the Petty's. It may have been the case that when he first received the cars from PE, the red was in good enough shape to run for a while as is was but the dayglo fades super fast and needs to be kept up. Again, as George stated, with Buddy's finances already stretched to the limit, it may have been a case of "paint it with regular red and forget it" when the dayglo turned pinkish-orange.
In '81 M.C. Anderson bought two completely intact Petty cars, a Monte Carlo and a superspeedway Old's (with the recently outlawed longer wheelbase) with the idea of starting a racing museum in Savannah. After about 5 or 6 months sitting outside his shop, the dayglo was decimated by the sun. It turned a light orangish pink with streaks of white showing throughout.
One of the two cars, (the Olds I think) is still in a storage unit outside Savannah. Heard that the other one was chopped up to try and make an ARCA car out of it some years later.... probably a bad financial decision:(

John[/quote]

thank you very much for this complete & argumanted response !
that's clear and understable for the French Guy I am ...
but , in all the responses i got here , nobody spoke about the Panill Knitting Factory T. Bird ? i 'm quite sure it was Dayglo red ,even though not coming from P.E..... Do you know more about it ?
thanx again .
big_al40

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Arrington color Reply with quote

According to a close friend of mine who worked for Buddy Arrington, Buddy's cars were painted a form of 'Petty Blue' and red.
The #67 Arrington cars were not 'day-glo' (neon, fluorescent) red as that was used only on the #43 STP cars (at that time, known as 'STP Red').
Having built a couple of Arrington cars some time ago, I used Testors 1203 red. If I were to build one now, I would probably use Tamiya TS-49 Red.
On a side note, while working with Richard Petty, I got to know Buddy - a super nice guy!
Happy building!
frenchpl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Arrington color Reply with quote

big_al40 wrote:
According to a close friend of mine who worked for Buddy Arrington, Buddy's cars were painted a form of 'Petty Blue' and red.
The #67 Arrington cars were not 'day-glo' (neon, fluorescent) red as that was used only on the #43 STP cars (at that time, known as 'STP Red').
Having built a couple of Arrington cars some time ago, I used Testors 1203 red. If I were to build one now, I would probably use Tamiya TS-49 Red.
On a side note, while working with Richard Petty, I got to know Buddy - a super nice guy!
Happy building!

thanx a lot, Guys !
it seems quite clear that I was mistaken...thinking they were Dayglo
john843

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenchpl, here is a couple of shots of the Pannill Knits car and I agree with big_al40's suggestion of the Tamiya TS-49. It is a bright red and should represent it well. TS-49 is the red I use on the various Allison Coca-Cola cars.

https://www.tradingpaints.com/showroom/view/275775/Buddy-Arrington-1987-Pannill-Sweatshirts-Thunderbird-WITH-Custom-67

John
frenchpl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
frenchpl, here is a couple of shots of the Pannill Knits car and I agree with big_al40's suggestion of the Tamiya TS-49. It is a bright red and should represent it well. TS-49 is the red I use on the various Allison Coca-Cola cars.

https://www.tradingpaints.com/showroom/view/275775/Buddy-Arrington-1987-Pannill-Sweatshirts-Thunderbird-WITH-Custom-67

John

thanx again
I lost my bet with pals: thought (was sure , in fact .. ) they were Dayglo red .
thanx for your Help. ..up
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From photos in several books in my collection, as well as my photos of Car # 43, I notice that Petty Enterprises changed over from STP Day - Glow red to a slightly darker non - flourescent red by the early 1980's. In his 1976 Autobiography King of The Road, Richard Petty commented : " That red is real hard to paint - to get the right gloss - and it can't be touched up, so the front and bottom of the car had to be blue. " Buddy Arrington likely followed suit, starting with the 1978 Magnum he bought from Petty Enterprises when Richard switched to GM products.
shortwheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Buddys #67 Charger with the Cherokee Const. sponsor and the #67 Jesse Stanly Trucking Charger, any ideas for the paint color on either one ? The Cherokee Const. car was all red and the Jesse Stanly car was blue and red,
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy couldn't afford the time or money to keep a fluorescent car painted, they would fade noticeably in just a couple of weeks. The Pettys had the manpower and funds to keep them painted, clear coated, wet sanded, and polished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: