Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Richard Petty's Chrysler Kit Car Dart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2002p51

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Richard Petty's Chrysler Kit Car Dart Reply with quote

This model isn't trying to be an accurate replica but it is simply a tribute car. The May 1975 issue of Stock Car Racing magazine was a special issue that was full of articles about the Chrysler Kit Car program. One of which was about the debut of the Dodge Dart built by Petty Enterprises. They ran the car at Dixie Speedway outside of Atlanta Georgia.

Although it doesn't look like it in this photo, Dixie Speedway was (and still is) a dirt track. That would explain the Firestone tires. This photo also makes it appear as if the grill is from an earlier '68 - '69 Dart.

In this photo the grille looks more like it's from a '75 Dart Sport. Also note the "340 CI" on the hood appears to be two colors.

Now, if you do a Google image search, you can easily find this photo:

You'll note several differences. Now there is "355 CI" on the hood, Goodyear pavement tires, and the words "by Petty" just after the number on the door. The grill now is closer to what's in the AMT kit and more like a Plymouth Scamp or a Dodge Demon grill. I have no information on what track this was. So, they ran the car at last twice in a slightly different configuration. Which is understandable as this was a new program and testing and shakedowns would result in changes.

Now to my model.

I started with the latest version of the Plymouth Scamp kit. Pretty much straight out of the box with a few minor changes.

I lowered the front suspension and narrowed the track width to get the tires tucked into the fenders to match the real car photo. I used Firestone lettering on the tires although I did not cut dirt track treads into them. You really can't see that very much anyway. The tire decals are from an Indy Car set and don't quite match the circumference of the kit tires but they were the only ones I have.

The grille. I used the grill from the Jim Cushman version of these kits because it is closer to the grille in the second photo above. I have an early '68 - '69 Dart grille that I could've used but it was too wide. Which got me to thinking. (I know, always dangerous) One criticism of these kits has always been that the engine appears to be undersize. So I did some measurements.

The wheelbase on the model scales out to 106 - 1/2". The real Dodge Dart/Plymouth Scamp has 111" wheelbase. So this entire model is undersize. Probably something more like 1/27 scale. And indeed, when checked against a Revell Dart GTS, this car is a little shorter.

In any case, the paint on the model is all Tamiya X-14, Sky Blue, except for a few of the suspension components which are Tamiya X-18, Semi-gloss Black. And the usual assorted metallic colors on the engine. The number decals are just from one of the many Petty sheets I have. There are no cubic inch numbers on the hood because I don't have anything even close to what's on the real car.

Anyway, as usual comments, discussion, critique are not only welcome but encouraged. And I'll leave you with this final image where I fooled around with studio lighting and got a little more blue in the background. Have a great day!

DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work....neat & clean
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!
Good info on the 1:1 car.
BW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sweet looking build! The work on the suspension/ride height looks great. Nice paint and decaling as well. Appreciate the included info, research, and photos of the real thing. VERY nice! Thanks for posting and keep'em comin'!
-Bobby
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty's Chrysler Kit Car Dart Reply with quote

Nicely done! I've always enjoyed the Kit Car kits, despite their shortcomings. With a bit of work they build up quite well.

Brian
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT looking build!!!

Quite interesting back story...
afx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to take on a kit car build one of these days. I like the look of the narrowed track width.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew, another awesome build. These late model sportman cars are fun to do. I really enjoyed doing my Freddie Fryar 65 Chevelle. He used to come all the way from Tennesee to run at Houston's Meyer speedway, where I got to see him live, back in the day.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Richard Petty's Chrysler Kit Car Dart Reply with quote

Great job Drew. also love Morgan and the Preacher photobombing Richard.

John
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool take on the kit car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: