Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASA, ALL-Pro, ARTGO Short Track Chassis of the mid 80's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: ASA, ALL-Pro, ARTGO Short Track Chassis of the mid 80's Reply with quote

During this time there was a great period of chassis evolution with many
suppliers (Dillon, Howe, Lefthandler, Frings, Port City etc.) that reflected there chassis ideas. Unfortunately this did not spill over to the modeling end & we have only a few examples of these chassis.
The best was the Revell ASA kits. But this only contained examples of 1 chassis.... the Dillon offset chassis.

Does anyone know of kit example of a perimeter frame short track chassis from the mid 80's ??? THANKS
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ASA, ALL-Pro, ARTGO Short Track Chassis of the mid 80's Reply with quote

FallsCity48 wrote:
During this time there was a great period of chassis evolution with many
suppliers (Dillon, Howe, Lefthandler, Frings, Port City etc.) that reflected there chassis ideas. Unfortunately this did not spill over to the modeling end & we have only a few examples of these chassis.
The best was the Revell ASA kits. But this only contained examples of 1 chassis.... the Dillon offset chassis.

Does anyone know of kit example of a perimeter frame short track chassis from the mid 80's ??? THANKS

What about the Trickle Mustang type chassis,...etc? Petty/Cushman kit cars? Weren't they also getting older Busch, and Cup used, or hand me down chassis/cars at some point?
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1987, ASA mandated perimeter chassis. This was done in an attempt to control the appearance of the ASA cars and to make the cars more visually appealing to the fans......sound familiar.
The Trickle Mustang chassis was circa '72-74 technology while the Kit cars were a tad later. I'll have to email you a photo of a Frings chassis to show you the difference.
I was looking for a easy way but looks like scratch building. I've always thought how funny it was that the Revell ASA kits came out the year that ASA mandated the chassis change.....great chassis just wrong.
From what I've heard Revell based the chassis on the Senneker Baker Dillion chassis. Ironically these changes to "save money" ended in the demise of a great series
.....spec chassis, crate engines (at least they didn't mandate crate Chevy's in Fords Laughing Laughing)
What appealed to the fans was diversity....which they killed.....sound familiar.
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallsCity48 wrote:
In 1987, ASA mandated perimeter chassis. This was done in an attempt to control the appearance of the ASA cars and to make the cars more visually appealing to the fans......sound familiar.
The Trickle Mustang chassis was circa '72-74 technology while the Kit cars were a tad later. I'll have to email you a photo of a Frings chassis to show you the difference.
I was looking for a easy way but looks like scratch building. I've always thought how funny it was that the Revell ASA kits came out the year that ASA mandated the chassis change.....great chassis just wrong.
From what I've heard Revell based the chassis on the Senneker Baker Dillion chassis. Ironically these changes to "save money" ended in the demise of a great series
.....spec chassis, crate engines (at least they didn't mandate crate Chevy's in Fords Laughing Laughing)
What appealed to the fans was diversity....which they killed.....sound familiar.

Sounds way too familiar
Red96

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a really really old thread, but just in case somebody's interested in the late 90's era of ASA (The LS-1 spec engine timeframe of the AC Delco Challange Series), I managed to get my hands on drawings for the center section of the Howe chassis, straight from the source. I have NO idea how far back that original base center section was used in ASA. Matt at Howe said he'd look to see if he could find diagrams for the front and rear clips too, but I never did hear back. He had the center section handy because someone was inquiring on dimensions to qualify an old ASA chassis for a Pike Peak entry according to Matt. Like to see that car!

The diagrams I have are dated late 1998 & 99, and show the alterations neccesary on the '98 chassis to comply with '99 and 2000 specs. Diagrams also show tubing sizes and some location measurements, which have been invaluable. Wishing I'd been a bit more persistant now for the frt & rear clip dimensions, as my front clip is too wide as built, so need to cut off the front rails and start over on those. Poor planning and mock up on my part.

I'm using these to scratch build a Monte Carlo bodied ASA car from this timeframe that I owned and club raced on road courses out here in the PNW.

Using a heavily modified Nascar kit body (to get closer to the Five Star bodies) and I used the cage sides from the kit. Might use the kit's wheels & tires too. (Ran Aero cup wheels and Hoosier 3035's, mostly) Everything else will be pretty much scratch-built. Will share pics when done, but probably will be a lenthy build.

If anyone is interested in the pdf's for the center section, PM me with an email and I'd be glad to share .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: