Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1990 Rusty Wallace Miller Pontiac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: 1990 Rusty Wallace Miller Pontiac Reply with quote

This is my first NASCAR model build in about 20 years, and I was only in high school then and didn't know anything about building models. In the last few years I've gotten back into it and have finished some IndyCars, but it's been a bit of trial and error getting things right with the NASCAR stuff. This is an AMT kit, which is unfortunate since that means it's 1/25 scale and aftermarket decals aren't going to fit it perfectly. I tried to use some of the kit decals on it, but they were a disaster -- one bubbled and silvered like crazy and glue residue got everywhere, and another split into about 6 pieces. I've since ordered some more kit decals and sprayed decal bonder on both sheets, so hopefully between the two sheets I can make some magic happen... In the meantime here's what I've gotten accomplished.

gks1964

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Love the detail work!!
james220

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gold and black car was beautiful. Saw it at the MDA car show in Roanoke VA. You have done a wonderful job so far. Keep the pics coming.
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!! I hope you can find some suitable decals. Your build looks fantastic. I may have a spare set of those kit decals if you need them. Let me know.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I always preferred the Black and Gold better than the Black and Yellow. Just more classy to me. Great build
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMT Pontiac is easily the best out of the bodies they did. Yours without decals shows just how accurate it really is. I can’t wait to see it finished, but it is certainly a thing a beauty just as it is.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking real good!!!
Razorback 46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That paint job is pretty slick!! Nice work filling the gaps too!!
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words everybody! I'm waiting on the Tamiya polishing compound I ordered to be shipped from Japan still before I can do any more on the body, but in the meantime I have worked on adding extra details to the interior. I still am not doing any detail work on the engine/fuel cell/etc. since I'm not planning to display that, but I do want the cockpit area to be nice and detailed since that's visible at all times.

I made the coiled radio wire for the steering wheel by wrapping a piece of flexible plastic wire around a piece of brass rod to get it in the shape I wanted, then slid it off the rod and glued it into place.

I made the air hoses from 5/32" extension springs painted with Tamiya Rubber. Since these springs are fairly difficult to bend, I had to use a thicker piece of brass rod inside of them to hold the shape. I bent the brass rods into the shape I wanted (not the easiest thing to do since I had to use the thicker brass rod!), drilled holes in the chassis where I wanted to mount the bottom of the hoses, then cut the rods down to size, leaving a bit of a gap between them and where the windows are so that the rods aren't easily visible. Then, I slid the springs over the brass rods (which was also not easy since it wants to hang up on the bends and requires steady pressure and rotation) and cut them to size. Overall these air hoses were some of the more difficult to fabricate things I've done simply because they were physically difficult to work with thanks to being so inflexible, but they look absolutely fantastic I think. When viewed in person, they look just like flexible air hoses!

gks1964

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning work! The detail is great!! What did you use for the zip ties?

Gerald
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gks1964 wrote:
Stunning work! The detail is great!! What did you use for the zip ties?

Gerald

Thanks! I used black sewing thread for the zip ties. I tied a very simple knot, then added a drop of super glue to the knot to help it hold. For the air hoses, I actually added a bit of super glue to the hoses themselves right where they meet the rollbars to help hold them in place since I want them to sit in a certain position to meet up with the naca duct decals I've added to the quarter windows.
gks1964

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decal work is done. Well, almost... the hood decal decided to wrinkle really badly as it dried for some reason, and I couldn't remove it all without damaging the paint, so I had to sand down the hood and add a fresh coat of paint to it... which I managed to screw up, so it's getting redone yet again tomorrow. Oops...

Even after a few coats of decal bonding spray, these decals still felt a bit fragile, particularly the red and white stripe. I had to cut some of the bigger decals into multiple pieces, and even then they still ripped a time or two. Overall the decal placement on them is far from perfect, but this was one of those times were I just had to tell myself "good enough!" You can also see I am fighting some bubbles, even after wiping out from the center with a damp paper towel and using Microset and Solvaset. Some decals did just fine, and yet others insisted on bubbling no matter what I did. Another round of telling myself "good enough!" I'm glad I spent a lot of time trimming these decals really closely to minimize extra carrier film.

Additionally, these decals had so. much. glue. I had to slide the decals off onto something upside down and use a paintbrush or a damp paper towel to wipe off excess glue, and even then I ended up with lots of glue on the car. I managed to wipe most of it off, but there are a few spots with visible glue, particularly on the right rear quarterpanel. Any recommendations on how to remove excess decal glue?

(Have I mentioned these AMT kit decals are trash? ..deadhorse

spooker

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on some really tough decals! As far as the excess decal adhesive goes, try a cotton swab with 71% rubbing alcohol, as long as your paint is thoroughly dry.

Brian
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used decal set, a little soap and water with a microfiber cloth should do the trick. Just don't go crazy with pressure!
Mack

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May sound crazy, the last time i applied decals I decided to use bottled water. Not sure what all is in our county water, so I used distilled bottled water. Worked like a charm. Added a little Dawn dish washing soap to it. Seemed to keep the decals softer. Who knows?
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7 decal from the roof number reacted to the clear coat and bubbled for some reason. One final disaster before I could finish this thing up. I sanded it down as best as I could and just slapped another decal over top of it out of frustration, so it's still got a little uneven texture under it, but it's barely noticeable. It's just time to move on and I'm calling this one done!

Full thread with tons of pictures here, please check it out!

Shunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed this whole build...looks great Dan.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is on a par with the top builders in this hobby. Everything is done at a very high level of talent in all areas. Thank you for posting it.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MarkJ!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: