Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robby Gordon's 1994 Valvoline Lola Indycar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Robby Gordon's 1994 Valvoline Lola Indycar Reply with quote

Here is something i am thinking about doing. After doing some sorting of old boxes and having a great throw stuff away while my wife is away. I came across some reference material I had put aside and it made me think why not do it...
I should get into it but,our weather is turning here now and seeing I spray in the garage makes it a little hard to get a nice gloss finish.
I think the nose cone will give away the car I am thinking of.

Here is the car I am looking to build. I have a sheet of the Umi Decals and it is a car i just really like the look of.

Shunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of an update but seeing it was so HOT here yesterday reaching 43C in temp I could not resist getting some painting done. I went old school and used enamel paint for the first time in a long time, the Blue Arrows Blue went on well and it was nice to have a smell different to the lacquers and acrylics.

halfbreed999

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a real nice color and matches perfectly from the looks. Just following along as I think will be a cool build when done.
Shunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfbreed999 wrote:
Thats a real nice color and matches perfectly from the looks. Just following along as I think will be a cool build when done.

Cheers mate..
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 43 degrees Celsius ...... that converts to 109.4 degrees Fahrenheit ...... good weather for enamels .... and the nose piece looks really nice.

Take care down there sir, I understand that Australia is having a severe fire season. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Shunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Coyote wrote:
Wow, 43 degrees Celsius ...... that converts to 109.4 degrees Fahrenheit ...... good weather for enamels .... and the nose piece looks really nice.

Take care down there sir, I understand that Australia is having a severe fire season. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thanks OC, yes it is horrible here for some and many people are effected by this, we are safe where we are, closest severe fires are around 3 or so hours away. We occasionally get the smoke haze which has blown down from Sydney, this is amazing seeing its 1200 kilometers north.
Shunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little more done with the painting side. I did the rear engine cover in white using the Tamiya LP paint, this is great stuff if you have not tried it as yet. I have to say i am pleased that the blue on the nose cone is very close to the body panels seeing there is 11 or so years between these being painted.

iborg317

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kit is this? Looks like you've got a good start.
Shunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iborg317 wrote:
What kit is this? Looks like you've got a good start.

Thank you, this is the Tamiya 1/20th Snap Kit. The road course version was based on Nigel Mansells #5 Newman Haas Lola, they also did a speedway version as well.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Cool
Shunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the holidays are over and a new job, so a poor excuse but my small brain is not focusing well on all the new work info and then trying to settle into some model time. But this one has taken so long now, no need to rush it... Very Happy

I got into the tyres and wheels. Wheels were painted with Tamiya TS6 Flat Black and then TS29 Semi Gloss Black, tyres were sanded and then washed and placed onto the wheels. I then went and applied the rub on lettering, which i am not a great fan of, but luckily all went well. I will eventually do some extra detailing and possibly tone them down with the weathering kit.

Shunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot has happened on this one of late, seeing it has been so long in the build up I cannot rush it now....lol
Decals have started and for a sheet that is 26 years old approximately they are going down OK. My first time using UMI decals and they are OK, but i have used better.
The large V on the side of the tub and engine cover worry me, I want to cut them but I feel they may not stand up to it so not sure what I will do there...maybe a black wash to represent the joint?

MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job with the enamel. i'm jealous.
Shunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to paint my Bobby Rahal Bud Lola, it is ok but I really need some warmer weather to get the paint down better. So I decided to get some more decals on this one. They are not fully accurate and nor is my build, but I think it’s looking not too bad. The red & blue on the nose are cut out from a Mark Martin 2000 Taurus kit sheet, the blue isn’t exactly the same but it will do.

36866DC6-927C-45CC-986E-B5AEB9774316 by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr
42B53814-01C1-4A90-B36D-0B2BC3984CAF by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr
C6BC47DF-FEDF-434B-BDD7-2DA1A2968F44 by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr
Shunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more shots...I’m loving this scheme.
8402E0F1-7E8C-49AB-92FF-5FF5E2FC9DDE by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr
0B67B378-CD35-42B4-B2D6-E03A48C135DF by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr
4F020ED0-92A5-4043-BCC0-AEAED42A2127 by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr
Shunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E053A8B6-B950-4D8A-8F73-CE29CE08EA9A by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr
B44D292F-4C3B-4F09-9065-B8C22AA06C90 by [url= CAB5DA8E-131F-4B31-BCEC-B1E2473DD28B by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/141006332@N08/]Shayne Nyholm-Hunter[/url], on Flickr
CAB5DA8E-131F-4B31-BCEC-B1E2473DD28B by Shayne Nyholm-Hunter, on Flickr

Added the final decals to the wings....now I’m waiting for the hot weather to return to clear it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: