Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird Reply with quote

This is the Monogram Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird.

Duplicolor Perfect Match Toreador Red Metallic BFM0344 (over Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf - if it matters) and Krylon Pewter Gray for the chassis.

My only modifications were swapping the wheels and to the air cleaner. I created a few decals for the headlight covers also.

I was pleasantly surprised with these 30 year old kit decals. The residue takes a bit to clean up, so cut as close as possible. I was worried when they went on super cloudly, but they cleared right up. Minimal use of solution was required.

More pictures in the gallery: Mark Martin Folgers Thunderbird

Last edited by randman on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!!
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one beautiful build. The hood decal where it overlaps the top edge of the fender turned out sweet. That was one of Marks best looking rides in my opinion. You did a fantastic job.
wildbill72

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build!

WILD Bill Motorsports, LLC
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding build sir. Beautiful work.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color red paint you chose looks wonderful. Nice job.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is ONE sharp build!!
..applause ..applause ..applause
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very clean beautiful build.
steveracer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randman, I am new to this site, since the shutting down of Scale Model website, and would like to post my stock car subjects here and learn from you guys.

First off the model looks so awesome, and also is one of my favorite stock car looks. Excellent job!

Having said that, I have painted my T Bird the same duplicolor, and applied some of the OEM Monogram decals which turned REALLY milky like yours did.

I pulled them off, and apparently I have to source some more of the milky decals from another source.

How did you remove the milky and cloudy look on those decals? What process did you use? And did you then clear over them?

I will plan to finish my model this winter (I am mainly a non-fair weather modeler working in the winter months) and figure, if your model can look so good with those decals, I would like to learn your secrets...

Thanks, Steve
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, don't mean to butt in but, i have heard that you can put old decals in sunlight for a couple of hours and it will cure the cloudiness. Never tryed it myself. Maybe others who have, will report their findings here.
steveracer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack this build thread guys....but these decals are pretty rare. Can't find an aftermarket source either...and the model highlighted here turned out awesome with some deft work!

MarkJ, thanks for the tip. I tried this for decals that are "yellowed on the sheet" and hung them on my doorwall facing the sun for a few days or weeks. It did work, however I ordered a new set of decals for my car anyway as they didn't get as nice as I wanted.

The milkiness or cloudy thing is what appears to be the glue on the decals once wet, and placed on the model. It looks like Elmers glue around the edges and under the graphics. Really weird. So it appears like an over abundance of glue on the old decals.

Thanks for the tip, glad to see a forum active and constructive! I am NOT on Face book or tic toc or whatever, but like the forums since they document subjects in a nice format. Very Happy
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some problems with milky/cloudy decals when building an AMT kit a while back with kit decals. I had good success using very hot water, sliding the decal off the backing, then using a damp paper towel or a wet paintbrush to remove some of the excess glue off the decal itself, then applying the decal with some Micro-Set. For larger decals, I would only partially remove the decal and remove glue from an area then slide the decal back onto the backing until I got the whole thing, this helped prevent any possible tearing and air bubbles when actually applying the decal. (I also sprayed a couple coats of decal bonder on those decals since they were brittle and prone to cracking, which probably didn't hurt!)
randman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for the comments. As far as the milkiness, it actually went away as the decals dried. Maybe I was lucky? I was kind of freaking out when they went on cloudy. I had bad luck with the Exide truck decals on a previous build. I tried to brush away any of the big clumps of glue residue or whatever it was, so that probably helped.
steveracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randman, thanks for the update. It will inspire me to try and complete this model soon.

Glad to be here.
Shunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work...and kit decals is impressive.
Kmidd65

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate your sharing this build. I have not finished anything in years and actually never renewed my login when the board went down years ago. Seeing this build and some of the others on here got me back to the bench. Finishing Mark's Winn Dixie BGN car that has been stalled about 11 years. Appreciate the inspiration!!
randman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmidd65 wrote:
Appreciate your sharing this build. I have not finished anything in years and actually never renewed my login when the board went down years ago. Seeing this build and some of the others on here got me back to the bench. Finishing Mark's Winn Dixie BGN car that has been stalled about 11 years. Appreciate the inspiration!!

I'm glad to be the inspiration to get you, steveracer, and anyone else going again. I too took a break of several years. I still have a few kits that have been "on pause" for a decade or two. This year, since there is basically nothing else to do, I have more time to build. I may get 10 completed builds in this year which has to be some sort of record for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: