Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jack Bowsher Cheated Up Gran Torino (Sport)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveracer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Jack Bowsher Cheated Up Gran Torino (Sport) Reply with quote

LOL!

Hey guys, I found an old relic the other day in the basement. Built this model way back in the day - Think it was the AMT 72 GTS as a base, the one with a very nice rendering of the car sideways full lock on the banking....

Anyway, I just ordered some decals for this and another build to keep me Covid free this winter....

As you can see I hand painted this baby, after I cheated the car to include the '73 plain jane Torino front end and trimmed the rockers off....

This is gonna be mainly a curbside when it is done, meaning it may be very inaccurate for the chassis and interior, but will have the correct stance and look of the car Jack drove when he switched over from the '71 fastback body style.

We all know that '73 was the last year for the fastback, and that the '73 base model grille was not available on the fastback, however....

I have a few other things going on right now, but want to start this just for fun, as the model building season is starting, here in the midwest!

steveracer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I lied already. This is the box art I was thinking, built this too but it is long gone.....

Therefore, my model must be the JoHan????
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '72 kit was released by both AMT and JoHan as stock car version only. As far as I know, AMT decided not to do an annual kit, leaving the street stock version to be done as a promo model only, which Johan was contracted to manufacture.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Round 2 could get that Torino kit back out? Tooling?
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
I wonder if Round 2 could get that Torino kit back out? Tooling?

I thought MPC might have acquired and modified the body tooling for the Isaac STA-POWER kit...
The flat hood, while not correct for a '72 is just what you need for a '73 conversion.
The AMT/Johan frame and suspension are street stock (and nicely done at that!) Although the floorpan has zero detail - completely flat. The rollcage fits the body perfectly although a tad thick. I used it on my Bud Moore build.
steveracer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, that flat hood is perfect for my 73 conversion.

I will be "cleaning up" the base Torino front end as I rebuild this kit.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Round2 likes to bring back some older kits, I would not be disappointed if they reissued this one.......the AMT '71 Torino Cobra......crude as it may be....

Why do I have the feeling that this kit was an updated one from the '68/'69 Torino Cobra, which is why this kit has not been reissued.....
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Since Round2 likes to bring back some older kits, I would not be disappointed if they reissued this one.......the AMT '71 Torino Cobra......crude as it may be....

Why do I have the feeling that this kit was an updated one from the '68/'69 Torino Cobra, which is why this kit has not been reissued.....

Dave Van might have better knowledge, but I believe the '70-'71 AMT tools are lost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: