Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salivino's Lemans Random Thought
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Accurate Miniatures Taurus kit was design by the same person that design the first stock cars Monogram did. (Thunderbird, Buick etc) Bob Johnson left Monogram to form a company that did a number of things Accurate was one of them. I was doing some freelance work for the first AM and got to see the Taurus from start to finish. I built one and it was about the same as the Buick kits as far as how it went together. Detail was finer and updated....but very similar. I have about 6 unbuilt kits and hope to build one box stock at some point.

All photos of AM kit
https://public.fotki.com/DaveVan51/accurate-miniatures/
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice kit that would have been!
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
@Steve, you are correct about the Monogram rear ends. Pain in the backside. I never liked the windows that mounted from the inside either. Those were primarily on the 88 through 94 Pontiacs, the 87 Olds and the 88 thru 92 Buicks. A recent build on here by jjsipes featured exterior mounted glass on an 88 Allison Regal. Looked great. I think the Monogram kits were the best compared to everything up until then. I had heard talk of an Accurate Miniatures Ford Taurus. I would have loved to have seen that. Never materialized. By the way your Petty Buick is killer.

I just remembered another annoyance: getting the engine in there to sit straight. Very difficult to do, they always want to sit slanted.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, any pics of the AM Taurus completed? The R/M Taurus body never looked right, I'm wonder how AM did on that front.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few test shots I built were for AM....I plan to build one for myself....
Lionpride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a finished product. Awesome build, but the roll cage/window net fit looks wonky.
Danny Woodford

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointed to see all the criticism thrown Salvino JR’s way. They are doing more for this segment right now than anybody. At the end of the day these are toys and 99.999 percent of the folks that will ever look at them will either not care about them or appreciate them. I don’t see how ripping them helps anyone. Thank them for being in this space creating new content to enjoy. Overall I love their stuff and I believe they will be the best thing to happen to this segment of the market for a long time to come. Some of you all are so negative you come off as whining. Just some feedback from a long time modeler trying to get back into after a long time off.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
Saw a finished product. Awesome build, but the roll cage/window net fit looks wonky.

I'm working on one now and I think the cage fits better into the body than on the 2+2s. I have cut the window net out and when the cage is in I'll reattach it to look good and I think that's all I'll have to do.

I need to get my body in paint but after attaching the front and rear fascias I think it looks very nice. The headlight buckets fit perfectly, they are very cleverly engineered.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comp between the Salvino Le mans and the Monogram Olds. They are supposed to fit the same chassis.

Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Olds comparison Gary, I was curious to see how it matched up with the Delta 88 since the 2 cars had similar shapes.

To say I'm disappointed with the Lemans is an understatement. I'm sorry but Jim's proportions on all his bodies are terrible. He said before he does everything by eye and doesn't measure....it shows. I think this is worse than the 2+2. Just like the 2+2, the nose and belt line of the body are just too tall. The greenhouse has this odd rake to it in relation to the doors and quarters. The full body lines are missing on the doors and rockers, and the spine character line is missing from the hood and trunklid. The Lemans and 78 El Camino were sister A body cars, so I included a few pics with the newly re-released Revell. I also added a few comparing it to the Regal and a gif showing the awkward roof and windshield post angle.

https://public.fotki.com/AAJOTERI/joes_models-1/nascar_models/
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not one to dig into the numbers too deep, or complain (those of you who have been here a good while know I like a lot of kits like the modified stockers that are less than stellar in the realism dept.). Let me say right here and now: I am not bashing Jim or Rick and the kits they have brought out. I won't do that.

However, it is not bashing to state facts. They already had the chassis for these kits, all they have to tool is the body. And they missed on this one, to put it kindly. To my untrained eye, it appears the body is more 1-25 scale from the door tops up.

P.S. I do not expect perfection ( I love the BADMAN kits) , nor am I solvent enough to start my own company. I do expect a little better effort when making a new body to fit over an existing chassis tool that is 37 years old.
WR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put 3 together and am well pleased with the outcome
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
They already had the chassis for these kits, all they have to tool is the body. And they missed on this one, to put it kindly.

I do expect a little better effort when making a new body to fit over an existing chassis tool that is 37 years old.

I couldn't believe the love note they added to the kit about making their body fit the chassis. Seriously? So Monogram got it wrong for all those years? C'mon. At some point there needs to be design and execution accountability about these newly tooled bodies from them.

hillybilly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
Gary66 wrote:
They already had the chassis for these kits, all they have to tool is the body. And they missed on this one, to put it kindly.

I do expect a little better effort when making a new body to fit over an existing chassis tool that is 37 years old.

I couldn't believe the love note they added to the kit about making their body fit the chassis. Seriously? So Monogram got it wrong for all those years? C'mon. At some point there needs to be design and execution accountability about these newly tooled bodies from them.

It's called lack of test fitting. I understand that a 3d printed body may not bend so well, but if it is made off the CAD plans, then someone should easily spot the issues.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He keeps winging it on all the bodies, that's why they don't fit. Boggles my mind why he hasn't uploaded a drawing of the chassis and roll cage into his CAD program to check this stuff before going into production.

Danny Woodford

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Salvino’s Facebook page you can see some of the customers are posting photos of completed and in process LeMans models and they look great. They did a great job bringing new content out in a all but dead segment of the hobby.
hillybilly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go on Facebook you can also see all the nice replies by Jim himself telling people that if they can design better to start their own company and have at it. Not really a nice way to keep business.

The LeMans is buildable with a bit of work, but things were said way at the initial part. No one listens to input. Now you get a wonky roof and a few extra bench sessions.

If Mike didn't have them at his price, I simply wouldn't be buying anymore. If it keeps going down this route, sooner or later the amount of buyers is going to get so small it won't be worth their effort.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that, very unprofessional. There's no getting through to Jim and it's extremely frustrating. I can't wait to see the Chargers when they're fully produced, I have a feeling my stash of MPC bodies will retain their value for accuracy.

Only reason why I've bought any of the 2+2's or Lemans is because of my loyalty to Mike Herman. Without him, they'd still be only producing 442's.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Oteri wrote:
I saw that, very unprofessional. There's no getting through to Jim and it's extremely frustrating. I can't wait to see the Chargers when they're fully produced, I have a feeling my stash of MPC bodies will retain their value for accuracy.

Only reason why I've bought any of the 2+2's or Lemans is because of my loyalty to Mike Herman. Without him, they'd still be only producing 442's.

I hate to pile on.........but truth will out.
Early on in the process of the OLDS kit I contacted Salvino's with some polite suggestions about the kit. This was before it was tooled. I explained I had done consult work for RM and AMT/R2 and that I was offering help for free....I was not looking for compensation. Short answer was 'go so it better'......
Salvin's attitude has improved some.....but I'll not worry that he needs my help.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to start an arguement, just observing some completed LeMans builds and evaluating whether to spend my money on one. Is it just me or does the LeMans look a little long in the nose and a little short in the trunk? Looks like there's some excess in front of the front wheel.
Of the 3 JR kits I've built, 2 got a chassis swap and plenty of body mods. The third required much fiddling to make it look close, and I've got a flat nose Monte sitting in the box that the nose reminds me of the old AMT snap monte carlo.

Tom
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Tom, the nose is a bit long. Seeing painted and decaled cars really highlights the problem with the front. I'm not going to link to someone else's build because that would be disrespectful, IMO

Take the 83 Hardee's car.

If in proportion, the Diehard decal should butt right up to the back edge of the headlight and front edge of the wheel opening.

The 81 Tuf-lon car is the same way.

The Ingersoll Rand and Union 76 gas decals should extend all the way to the opening and actually get cut off. Looking at finished builds this isn't the case. Both cars ran tight wheel openings, so it's not like they were oversized compared to a short track car.

I believe the trunk gives a weird visual of being short because the spoiler is so tall. I'm working on bashing the Lemans parts with a Regal right now, I'll try to get some rough pics tomorrow.

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashing it with a Regal? I'm curious and interested!

Tb
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got mine yesterday. I’ve been critical of them in the past, but I agree there have been some great builds posted lately, so I decided to give it a go.

My major concern with this one has been the overall “chunckiness” of the body (as illustrated in the measurements above). However, I think there are some easy adjustments that will really help the look. The driver’s and passenger’s window ledges have quite a bit of radius that adds to the overall door height. They also run slightly downhill from the A post to the B post. I plan to reshape the openings so they are parallel to the ground and replace the radiused ledge with sheet styrene at a 90 degree angle. Additionally, I am going to open the rear wheel wells up slightly to take away from the bulkiness of the quarter panels. Finally, as Joe said, I’ll take some height off the spoiler.

Those adjustments all seem quick and easy enough, even for someone like me who’s not great at fine tuning bodywork. Of course, none of these changes address the shape of the roof, but really think they’ll help the car look a lot sleeker.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok good thoughts everyone. Now, riddle me this....if I'm not mistaken, that extra material on the A pillar is actually the roll cage on the real car that has the bodywork molded into it. Thinking of a way to cut out part of the cage and build cage structure to the underside of the roof.
Joe Oteri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some quick pics of the LeRegal. The front edge of the hood was chopped down a lot, along with the bottom and back of the nose to get a better visual proportion. I still need to round the front corners of the nose because they're way too square and pointy. I grafted the back half of the Lemans roof on but still need to rough out the quarter glass openings, along with the back bumper.

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow! Did not see that coming. Great start! I like it.

Tb
Matt T.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There it is! Keep going, Joe; you've got it on the run. Great work so far.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That DOES look good, Joe! However, I am WAAAYY past paying $30+ for a new tool (body, at least) kit and having to supply a second body AND do this level of work to get it right! I know the Regal kits are a dime a dozen (sort of) but still.

JMO!

Brian
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my LeMans, complete, no mods. Judge for yourselves.

I'm happy with it.
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build Steve. I'd be proud of it!!!
Danny Woodford

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding Steve!
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
Rob Spires wrote:
If he doesn’t understand why we reject puny truck arms, torsion bars, and generic non-descript floorpans, then he doesn’t understand us.

Salvinos makes kits for people that want to put a model on the shelf. They do not make kits for those of us who want to build an accurate replica beyond the body shell. It’s a fundamental difference in philosophy. They’re certainly entitled to run their business as they see fit, but as consumers, we’re also entitled to reject their offerings if they don’t meet our standards.

So I need to take issue with this a bit.

I have been on this board for a long, long, long time. I've built well over 100 NASCAR models and have contributed quite a bit to the community here and elsewhere. I even drew up, a long time ago, a web page with NASCAR kit tips and tricks.

But I am also a guy who "wants to put a model on the shelf." I do not care about truck arms, torsion bars, floorpans, etc. I really never have. I think what needs to be understood is that Nascar modelers are not some sort of unified force here, and even on this board there are many, many different styles and ways of building.

I'm not picking on you, Rob, or anyone else. Everyone is allowed to build and buy the way they see fit. But I caution against dismissing other people's approaches to the hobby. "Us" in this reference isn't everyone here.

Modeling is supposed to be INCLUSIVE. You can build whatever you like. You can be any race, religion, gender, creed, lifestyle, anything at all. Modeling is for everyone. I would say that we should be careful not to isolate or otherwise separate from other modelers. We all have personal kit standards, and act accordingly.

sorry to be preachy, just thought I needed to run my yap a bit.

Sorry but i have to agree with rob and joe. the US referes to the majority here that find the FUN in building a model to include accurate betail. something that salvinos lacks. foe some reason he has to tinker with re pops of monogram kits that were the most accurate.
why do all the rollcages fit too low in the bodies?
why, as joe pointed out in a build log did they mess with the roofline, front fenders and rear deck of the grand peix when making the 2+2 anf forget to remove the bumpetts
HOW could they miss the accent line on the olds body
The front nose of the monte is got the wrong slant (actually no slant)
the rear ty panel on the monte is wrong
The front end of the le monze is too long (fenders need to be sanded down) and to mee it looks like the rear deck slants down too much and the leading edge of the roofline is off.
what else have they screwed up? please let me know if i missed somethikg, OH YEAH how about that stupid "REAL CHROME" WUICH IS A TOTAL WASTE that results in the builder resorting to buying aftermarket bumpers/grills adding to the cost of an already overpriced kit because the real chrome makes the incorrect bumpers unworkable.
it is good that these kit are around at al but for the price being asked the least they can do is have a better eye to detail. who ever does their enginering is not very good.

joe
Wakefan77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post my two cents here as well. I haven't been a member here for very long but I truly enjoy looking at all the builds and the passion that goes into them regardless of skill level.

I understand that the Salvinos kits may have some issues that have been examined quite a bit. I bought one of their Cale Yarborough Holly Farms Monte Carlo kits and have been working on it since last Fall (I have 3 kids and coach baseball so not much time).

I am almost done with that kit and while there are things I haven't been a fan of, overall the kit has been fun to build. That Holly Farms sponsor/logo takes me back to being a kid and going to N. Wilkesboro every fall to watch modifieds and sportsman cars take to the track and back to when racecars didn't look the same. The Kit has some shortcomings and it certainly has it's challenges but to me that's the beauty of modeling. Although I won't admit it to myself, I don't want every kit to be a piece of cake. To me it makes the final product that much more enjoyable to look at. I know I'm weird but that's just me.

These days I prefer short track racing to Nascar (although I still watch some) and have a few short track "fantasy" builds. I have been highly anticipating the asphalt modified release. I plan on buying those kits when they are released and I personally think they will sell the hell out of them and I am sure there are going to be imperfections on those builds as well. I am a big modified fan and have access to a whelen modified so I know what they are supposed to look like.

I look forward to more releases from Salvinos (even with the imperfections) and look forward to enjoying more builds to look at on this board. I will post my Salvinos build on here when I am done and then sit it on my shelf in my bedroom where only a handful of people will ever see it. I respect all builders and their opinions as I am caught somewhere in between.

Sorry to be longwinded and I understand some of the complaints against Salvinos but I am also appreciative of what they are trying to do.

Btw, I initially came to this thread because I just purchased a Tim Richmond Lemans kit and look forward to building it as well.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakefan77 wrote:
I will post my two cents here as well. I haven't been a member here for very long but I truly enjoy looking at all the builds and the passion that goes into them regardless of skill level.

I understand that the Salvinos kits may have some issues that have been examined quite a bit. I bought one of their Cale Yarborough Holly Farms Monte Carlo kits and have been working on it since last Fall (I have 3 kids and coach baseball so not much time).

I am almost done with that kit and while there are things I haven't been a fan of, overall the kit has been fun to build. That Holly Farms sponsor/logo takes me back to being a kid and going to N. Wilkesboro every fall to watch modifieds and sportsman cars take to the track and back to when racecars didn't look the same. The Kit has some shortcomings and it certainly has it's challenges but to me that's the beauty of modeling. Although I won't admit it to myself, I don't want every kit to be a piece of cake. To me it makes the final product that much more enjoyable to look at. I know I'm weird but that's just me.

These days I prefer short track racing to Nascar (although I still watch some) and have a few short track "fantasy" builds. I have been highly anticipating the asphalt modified release. I plan on buying those kits when they are released and I personally think they will sell the hell out of them and I am sure there are going to be imperfections on those builds as well. I am a big modified fan and have access to a whelen modified so I know what they are supposed to look like.

I look forward to more releases from Salvinos (even with the imperfections) and look forward to enjoying more builds to look at on this board. I will post my Salvinos build on here when I am done and then sit it on my shelf in my bedroom where only a handful of people will ever see it. I respect all builders and their opinions as I am caught somewhere in between.

Sorry to be longwinded and I understand some of the complaints against Salvinos but I am also appreciative of what they are trying to do.

Btw, I initially came to this thread because I just purchased a Tim Richmond Lemans kit and look forward to building it as well.

I just got my kit too. It is next
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older topic, but this is my Lemans in the Tim Richmond livery. As always I think the model needs to be seen in the paint to see if concerns about the body lines have been addressed.

This was built box stock, no mods at all. I'm very pleased with it. Obv that's my .02.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make it look good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: