Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vinyl Top

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Vinyl Top Reply with quote

I'm building a local late model which of all things had a white vinyl top on a Camaro. I'm looking for a way preferably with paint to give a vaguely vinyl top texture. I'm not after perfection, just a reasonable facsimile.

Here is the car......click on it for larger view

hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking Late Model that pic is from the Fairgrounds isn't it. One thing I tried and it worked on a Petty 68 RR was I painted the body Petty Blue with the top masked of and then I masked the body and sprayed the top with some hot lacquer some I had tested it on some old bodies I had (what else are Chebbies and Furds good for) after learning how to spray it for just a little crazing I sprayed the body, I then sprayed Tamiya Semi Gloss Black for a finish its not perfect but it looks good on the shelf. Some one else here will have a much better idea I am sure.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda remember seeing an article years ago about making a vinyl roof by using wide masking tape on the bare roof, then painting it.
Robyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what year that car is but the original AMT 1970 Camaro, kit number Y720, kit came with a vinyl top - can be hard to find an unbuilt but you can sometimes find a built up for a decent price on Ebay - I found one recently for $25.

Here is a link to an empty box for sale on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-1970-Chevy-Camaro-SS396-Rare-Annual-Art-Box-Y720/390091505530?hash=item5ad343ff7a:g:QykAAOxytdlRAXqg - there are also 2 built up promos for sale showing the vinyl top but they are expensive.

Robyn
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might speckle some thick paint at low pressure for a rough finish. At scale, the vinyl texture would not be very pronounced. Narrow tape for seams, and maybe BMF for the border trim.
Robyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a few pictures of my last 70 Camaro I was referring to earlier:

You can see where the top was molded in, unfortunately it was hand painted and you cannot see the detail around the black paint.

This was bought to rebuild but there is just something about it that I have just put it in the display case as it is just too cool.

Robyn
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working with a 70 and 1/2 kit. I've been experimenting with "dusting" Krylon paint to get the texture I need. I think that will do well enough. I'll glue some strip plastic down for a trim line and call it good enough.

Robyn, that is a cool old Camaro. I saw Salem on the rear 1/4 panel. Salem Indana??????
Robyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salem Va. is what is on the decal so Virginia I think - wish I could take credit for it but that is the way it came to me, just a cool old car! It was completely brush painted and you can barely see brush strokes in the red, metal window screen for the grill and driver's net and the nose has been smoothed (no signs of bumper mounts, turn signals, header panel lines) out with body filler, must weigh 4 pounds Laughing .

Robyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: