Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vallejo Paints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Vallejo Paints Reply with quote

It appears that I'm going to have to drop Model Master paints as they have become quite difficult to find. Switching from enamels to acrylic scares me as the one bottle of acrylic I have takes multiple coats to cover and dries to a flat finish. Anyone ever used the Vallejo brand of acrylic paints? They are carried by MicroMark.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vallejo are great paints... for wargame miniatures. You can't sand or polish them that I know of. I'd look elsewhere. I use Createx but, same issues. Fortunately over a good body and primer there should be no need to sand. Just clear then polish.
james220

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy on the Scale Modeling Channel, on you tube, uses Vallejo paints for almost all his trim, he says their silver is the best. he also uses sprayed Vallejo black, thru an air brush, quite a lot. I use Tamiya spray for almost everything. Most of their bottle paint, acrylic, does take two coats. I don't use one paint in particular just use the best paint available in a certain line. I hardly use enamels anymore, to long to dry and bottle coverage is iffy. Adam is correct Vallejo is great for figures both plastic and metal. Model Masters is going away, Rustolem bought them and are replacing them with their paint what ever that might be.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried them...did not like them. The bottle creates a lot of waste to me.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tamiya paints, but their color selection is a bit lacking. I thin with 91% alcohol and I’m happy with the gloss finish.
lefty1820

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject: I've been Reply with quote

I've been slowly getting away from ModelMaster enamels and going with Vallejo for my military projects. Seems I can't find MM flat black anywhere lately.

Here's a page for reference. Also, my first time using this paint I used water as a thinner and had a difficult time with plugging of the airbrush. I then acquired their 71.361 airbrush thinner but havent had the chance to use it yet. Just today I ordered the Vallejo Model Air War USAF Gray Schemes 1970 on Paint Set - 8 Colors - 40032 for my upcoming project.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've had a time, wrapping my head around this, today it became clear coated!

Vallejo is a line of paints designed specifically for war gaming. Whether that be military or fantasy. I just saw a display at hobby lobby that confirms they are attempting to branch into the car kit market with paints.

Therefore I must say, the only color I saw they had that might do "Petty" blue, is the bright sky blue. Not the regular sky blue sitting next to it. Wink
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a bit of brush painting with the Vallejo "Model Air" paints. I was told that they brush a lot better than the regular Vallejo paints (and don't need to be thinned -- or at least not as much -- for brushing).

I was wondering what to use for thinner for them -- but I see in a post above it looks like their 71.361 might be the stuff.

I've tried Model Master "Acryl" acrylic paint -- It does flow out and level well, but man ya gotta be FAST with it. It dries like lightening. I was painting the bell housing of an engine (about the diameter of a quarter) with it and before I got all the way around to my starting point it had already partly dried !! You can't dilly dally around with the stuff.

I've had some success with brush painting larger areas with the Tamiya paint when thinned with 91% alcohol -- this allows it to level out and is less likely to leave brush marks. But you still need at least 2 coats with this method.

Oh how I wish that the old "Pactra Acrylic Enamel" was still made (in the 2/3 oz bottles). That stuff was the BOMB. No thinning, no fuss. Just brush it on and it was wonderful. Great coverage - only 1 coat needed -- and NEVER any brush marks !! <Sigh>
wildbill72

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this...

Review of Revell's new painting supplies — New Product Rundown "One Shot"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UNYbamH27w

WILD Bill Motorsports, LLC
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For brush painting, I’m not particularly satisfied with Testors or Tamiya. Testors enamels get gummy in the bottle too quick. And don’t get me started on the cardboard seal sticking to the top of the bottle and ripping...

Tamiya don’t cover well and always take two coats as Goodwrench said.

I’ll be interested to try Revell’s new line.
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Humbrol's enamels are really nice for brushing. I just haven't tried any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: