Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAE magazine GONE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: SAE magazine GONE Reply with quote

Next issue is last one.......they JUST 2 days ago took my renewal cash...... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, was just about to send a subscription card off... something told me to hold off, glad i did.
truedeadman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may fold your renewal into Fine Scale Modeler(where they say car content will live on). Some of the 1:1 four wheel drive truck mags did something similar recently....they closed some mags down and if you had time left on your sub, they gave you the equal time on the remaining mag(s)
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read their email. Of course I recently renewed both Scale Auto and Fine Scale Modeler. Crying or Very sad
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FSM is junk ....I buy maybe 1 copy every 2 years.
I told them this AM 100% refund!
LarryMow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just renewed mine to 2023 awhile back...called them this morning to ask about it. The lady told me that the Oct issue would process on July 21st. She said if I cancelled before then I would not receive that last issue.....if I do nothing then my remaining SA balance would go towards a FSM subscription, well that aint happening. If I had wanted a FSM subscription, I would have purchased one. I guess I'll soon be selling all those SA magazine binders that I no longer need.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I renewed this past spring. I have been on and off with SA.
Not much in it over the last few year.
I subscribe to FSM and will continue as that magazine has more in it.

Did not surprise me .
truedeadman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarryMow wrote:
I guess I'll soon be selling all those SA magazine binders that I no longer need.

Did you buy a bunch of the binders to put future issues in?
james220

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a shame last one was one of the best. RIP
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very concerned about the state of traditional magazine publishing. In the past few years I have watched as Trains & Model Railroader magazines ( Kalmbach Publishing ) have reduced page count, while Carstens Publishing ( Railfan & Railroad, Railroad Model Craftsman, and other titles ) has been bought out by White River Productions after the death of Hal Carstens. White River has been a bright spot, with several Railroad titles I subscribe to. ( White River does run 5 - 6 pages of ads for their own magazines, books, & DVD's in each issue though, kind of like being self - sponsored ??? )
I was looking forward to my local Barnes & Noble bookstore re-opening, only to find most of the magazine titles are still from MARCH of this year !!! Mad The clerk assured me : " New issues should be here soon! " When ? I wonder, after all the old issues are sold ???

Last edited by George Andrews on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent a note to White River productions about SAE. They publish rail themed magazines right now but they have saved a number of magazines from closure. I sent a note asking if they might be interested in SAE as there is now a market with no viable print magazine. Maybe if we let them know we want a good magazine.....we can try. The magazines they did save are now 100% better than they were in their last incarnation.
e-mail them.......
info@whiteriverproductions.com
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to Scale Auto. Have not seen any email or anything concerning magazine is ending production .
Bill
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the scoop.

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/announcements/f/1/t/132732.aspx
joe b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
FSM is junk ....I buy maybe 1 copy every 2 years.
I told them this AM 100% refund!

I agree. I canceled years ago, nothing useful in it and the how to articles never told you how to!!!
LarryMow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truedeadman wrote:
LarryMow wrote:
I guess I'll soon be selling all those SA magazine binders that I no longer need.

Did you buy a bunch of the binders to put future issues in?
I got them for Christmas, have all but a few issues in them.....the rest are just taking up space
james220

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wife works at B&N. The old and new B&N. It's all about making money and unfortunately magazines don't seem to sell. She has told me for sometime that B&N may stop selling magazines all together. Right now it's just a rumor. What with online outlets, magazines just don't sell like they once did. I hate to see SA go. I had a subscription for sometime but since she started working at B&N I just would look at the mags and have her buy what I wanted. I have most but not all. It's not just SA other mags are not selling either. I guess the new generation can find what they need on line and don't need the Mags. Over the years a lot of good model car magazines have come and gone, SA seemed to be the one constant, good or bad. Again RIP Scale Auto.
StuBeck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james220 wrote:
My Wife works at B&N. The old and new B&N. It's all about making money and unfortunately magazines don't seem to sell. She has told me for sometime that B&N may stop selling magazines all together. Right now it's just a rumor. What with online outlets, magazines just don't sell like they once did. I hate to see SA go. I had a subscription for sometime but since she started working at B&N I just would look at the mags and have her buy what I wanted. I have most but not all. It's not just SA other mags are not selling either. I guess the new generation can find what they need on line and don't need the Mags. Over the years a lot of good model car magazines have come and gone, SA seemed to be the one constant, good or bad. Again RIP Scale Auto.

I'm a bit surprised that magazines have lasted so long at places like Barnes and Noble. A number of years ago when I was looking individual magazines would cost $7-10, and the inserts in the magazine advertised a full year for $20 most of the time. Made me feel a bit like a rube.
james220

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes nothing in B&N is cheap. My wife gets a discount and that helps with purchase, but I do liked the feel of the old B&N not sure what they are trending into. Rumor is they are returning to more of a book store setting and may do away with music, kids toy, toys and game etc. We shall see.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still miss Stock Car Racing magazine, and especially National Speed Sport News newspaper. Sad I would eagerly look in my mailbox each Thursday for my weekly racing fix. I guess Good Old Fashioned Print Publishing is going the way of the Goss Offset Printing Press. Sad Sad
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print media as a whole is a sinking ship. Digital content is cheap to deliver and where things are heading. I read my morning paper on a laptop. It never gets wet, the carrier never skips my house and it's orders of magnitude cheaper than home delivery.

Books will survive but newspapers and magazines are in deep trouble.
67chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHen Jim Haught retired from SAE it was not the same I have been lucky enough to have every issue been a subscriber that long. I for see no contest annual for 2020 shame hate to see it go but with the times the way they are was not a big surprize. Jeff.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder my recent emails to them have been ignored.....
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67chevelle wrote:
I for see no contest annual for 2020 shame hate to see it go but with the times the way they are was not a big surprize.

There was an ad For the contest annual in the last issue, but I was Wondering how they were going to pull that off since all the shows are being canceled?

Maybe they could use it as a “greatest hits” over the last 40+ years.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heartbroken over this. I loved getting that mag.
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a long time subscriber and this is sad. Unfortunately they have had some what of a revolving door with the editors and that is never a good sign.

But more than that, the content really became stale in my opinion. The most recent and last magazine was race car focused and there was nothing new from any of the kit companies. Salvino's has been producing kits for several years now, and except for a 2 page article from Clay Kemp on the Buddy Baker Olds a few years ago, there was no coverage. Revell has made NASCAR kits for some time and they seem to be have been selling well and no coverage. Ebbro, NUNU and others have been producing new race car kits. Anything from these manufacturers would have been more interesting than what they published.

Other than the new kit reviews, it seemed the contributors were more interested in producing articles that thinned their collections than building something new and relevant.
kurth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad to see the magazine go. I have subscribed off and on, mostly on since the 90s.

The past few years had some pretty thin issues, some of them had all the articles written by one author. The last few issues were much improved, and I renewed for 3 years in the past few months. I also subscribe to FSM so I think I will have something like 5 years before I need to renew FSM.

I have the every issue DVD and I was looking for NASCAR modeling articles, and back in the day the articles went into more depth, and talked about how to add a lot of detail. Lately articles seem to emphasize how to do things more quickly and easily.

It is sad to see the magazine go, it has been a constant presence for most of my modeling career, since I discovered the magazine in the early 90s.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalmbach is also ceasing publication of Garden Railways magazine with the fall 2020 issue.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pick that one up once and a while.......this is a crap fest!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised that some of the model railroading mags are in trouble, The common person can no longer afford buying any model railroad items.....If you model car kits are expensive, check out the cost of ANY scale of model trains. A cheap diesel locomotive is well into 3 figures before the decimal point.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
I'm not surprised that some of the model railroading mags are in trouble, The common person can no longer afford buying any model railroad items.....If you model car kits are expensive, check out the cost of ANY scale of model trains. A cheap diesel locomotive is well into 3 figures before the decimal point.

The model train hobby is having it's own troubles. But much of it is because they rely SO heavy on China. This is not a anti China thing.....China is having major internal issue that do not get reported because it is not allowed. MTH which makes O, HO, S and G scale trains is just closing shop. Cost from 1993 to today have gone up 10 times.....you can no longer afford to make hobby items, small runs, in China....they need orders of 500,000 per run and not the 5K of model kits or 300 each of model train locomotives. The model rail magazines are doing as well as any magazines. The thing about model trains is even when a locomotive is to costly you can build a bridge for your layout from card stock, make trees from cheap cotton batting, structures can be download from the net and printed for under $10!! So they still have a market for print....plus their market is as old as ours!

A $7 structure kit (the one on the right) and I can print a 100 of them if I want....and build it different each time! IIRC the camera store was $8.50

So it's a little like apples oranges thing. But all old school hobbies, one that were around before we were born, are changing. Back in the 1970's there were two stamp & coin hobby shops in Charlotte.....Now there are ZERO hobby shops of any kind! The good thing is my Hobby Lobby is selling a TON of kits.....will that last??? But at least folks are trying it!
Thanks
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:

Another problem with outsourcing Model Railroad product to foreign countries nowadays ( China included, as it is a BIG player in Model RR stuff ) is The TWO prices for ONE production run. The foreign model train manufacturers will quote a decent price for model RR stuff, ( considering the low product run compared to Auto, Aircraft, & Armor glue kits ), THEN -- once the product run is completed and Ready to Ship -- The Price GOES WAY UP !!! Rolling Eyes This has become the New Normal in countries with no consumer protections or legal recourse for American firms. Quite often a Model Train " manufacturer " ( actually more of an importer ) will not quote a price when they announce the upcoming product, instead waiting until the Choo - Choo's are on dock in the U.S.A. before working up a price. Production is often delayed too. This info courtesy of several personal friends within the Model Railroad industry, in manufacturing and retail too.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to move a wip I had going over there. I thought they would never go out of business, so when this site shut down, and lost all my old wips I decided to put them there. Now I'm going to lose a lot more wips. Oh well, no biggee.
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
sentsat71 wrote:

Another problem with outsourcing Model Railroad product to foreign countries nowadays ( China included, as it is a BIG player in Model RR stuff ) is The TWO prices for ONE production run. The foreign model train manufacturers will quote a decent price for model RR stuff, ( considering the low product run compared to Auto, Aircraft, & Armor glue kits ), THEN -- once the product run is completed and Ready to Ship -- The Price GOES WAY UP !!! Rolling Eyes This has become the New Normal in countries with no consumer protections or legal recourse for American firms. Quite often a Model Train " manufacturer " ( actually more of an importer ) will not quote a price when they announce the upcoming product, instead waiting until the Choo - Choo's are on dock in the U.S.A. before working up a price. Production is often delayed too. This info courtesy of several personal friends within the Model Railroad industry, in manufacturing and retail too.

Quite frankly, this is all on the model railroading company. They should find another company to produce their product. But obviously, the price they quote after receipt of the goods is acceptable to the hobbyists and they buy them. I have no sympathy for a company that allows these kind of pricing practices from their manufacturer.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O the days of Athearn blue box trains made in So Cal!!!!! And for a GREAT price!!!!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on that, DaveVan

I was thinking about getting back into model railroading as we were getting ready to move from Orlando to Albuquerque, that's why I tossed so many built models, unbtuilt kits, and partially built kits form the 1970's..
Went to LHS in ABQ not long after getting there...and about fainted when i saw what an Athearn "kit" cost!!! Immediately wished I hadn't tossed so many modlle cars out....And that was back when model car kits were well under $2o! Quite a few were $15 or less.....
That's when i slowly got in to kit collecting....Tried to start building some, but soon lost interest. Why, I don't know....In part, if I were to get started building again, once completed, the would have to go back in the box, if the fit, simply have not place to display them...
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first S.A.E., was issue #4 and IIRC it was all black and white. I had heard about it but had no clue when it came in to my local. Finally I talked to the shop owner and he said he'd order an extra copy next time and hold it back for me. With that issue I subscribed and held that subscription until around 2,000 and still picked it up regular at a local news stand.

It never mattered what was on the cover. The main car, the tip callouts, didn't matter to me. You could be building a full on pumper truck with working hoses. ZERO interest to me as a subject but, a mine of information that can be applied a dozen different ways on a dozen different models.

I learned how to scratchbuild leaf springs, shock absorbers, upholstery, headliners and more. I was there for the first ads for flocking and the first "multi media" builds. Every early issue I had, carried the battle scars of a young man's possession. Dog eared pages, circles around the ads that interested me both in the magazine AND in the marketplace for readers in back!

I got disgusted with delays and more so with the amount of ads but, all in all I understood because the marketplace is what it is. To survive you simply have to sell ads, simple as that. They were easy enough to flip over to the next page anyway.

I will sorely miss seeing S.A.E. on the newstands or that heat sealed plastic bag rolled up in my post box. Like Car Modeler before it, it's time seems to have come. But then we thought the same thing about Aurora, Monogram NASCAR, Moebius...

So I for one will hold out hope and remember it fondly. If we're lucky, maybe it will be a hiatus and they can be picked up again in the future. Until then, I got my back issues. Cool
JamesT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven’t got one in over 10 years, they always have the same people in the magazine doing the same things over and over.

Plus It was never available in any stores in my area once the hobby store closed, yet the Walmart carries FSM but never once a scale auto.
gks1964

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't bought one since the '90's
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my first issue of FSM.only thing about cars and trucks were several ads. All articles on military and Sci Fi.
Bill
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Just got my first issue of FSM.only thing about cars and trucks were several ads. All articles on military and Sci Fi.
Bill

WHY I took the refund over the FSM sub.......
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me. I'm going to ride my subscription out.....just want to see how much CAR material gets put into FSM......but doubt I will resubscribe.....

Back in the '70's when i could not find a model car kit that i wanted to build, got hooked on 1/48 WWII aircraft. and U.S. military pieces. think I built 4 aircraft, 2 Corsairs FU4s, one Monogram, and one AMT, the latter had the original birdcage canopy.An SBD Dauntless and a Hellcat. Oh, and a 1/72nd scale Puff the Magic Dragon C-47 Gun ship. not sure who produced that. For Army vehicles, cannot remember who produced them, but the Jeep and an Armored half track were quite nice, to the point these even had nice looking engines...
All those are gone now.....too many moves....
Racer14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the December issue of FSM. I thought the plan was to combine car content with the other modeling but I was very disappointed to see one really weak car article and nothing else. My subscription is up in Feb and I won't be renewing.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to use the fsm forum and it said I was logged in but when I tried to post a message it would not work. I sent them an email message on how to make it work and they still havent got back to me. That was 2 weeks ago.
kapam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very sad to hear about Scale Auto winding up, though not particularly surprised. The exchange rate (US$ to Aussie $) made me hold off on re-subscribing about this time last year. Have to admit, though, the content of the mag was getting a bit stale and rather thin. In the 90's SAE was a huge motivator and a great information source. But now we have the Internet, so a subscription to Scale Auto was losing its usefulness. TBH, I thought the magazine's staff were losing their enthusiasm. But I have missed getting the mag in the post, nonetheless.
Sad
kapam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very sad to hear about Scale Auto winding up, though not particularly surprised. The exchange rate (US$ to Aussie $) made me hold off on re-subscribing about this time last year. Have to admit, though, the content of the mag was getting a bit stale and rather thin. In the 90's SAE was a huge motivator and a great information source. But now we have the Internet, so a subscription to Scale Auto was losing its usefulness. TBH, I thought the magazine's staff were losing their enthusiasm. But I have missed getting the mag in the post, nonetheless.
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: