Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOLOTOW chrome add your tips or experiment results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: MOLOTOW chrome add your tips or experiment results Reply with quote

Inspired by Tom's Oldsmobile build and some very kind words, I thought we should have a thread to keep track of everyone's experiences, tests and trials, with Molotow chrome ink.

Right there is my first tip.. it's ink, not paint. It does clean up almost instantly with acetone and thins the same way.

Second tip. You really shouldn't have to thin it. The pens work just like other paint pens and the refill flows perfectly through an airbrush all by it's lonesome.

I have had some great results at both ten and twenty four psi. At higher psi's it will go on thicker. It comes out VERY fast!

It goes on dullish, looking much like the last rattle can of (insert brand name here, they were all trash) chrome you tried. This is where I made my biggest mistake! I thought adding more would make it shiny. Just the opposite.

Third tip. Shoot as light a coat as you can with full coverage, first pass. I KNOW! That goes against the grain of everything we've been taught and have been teaching through the years! But this stuff has a similar property to Alcladd in that thinnest coverage is best. The thinner the coat, the brighter the finish and it will reduce dry time to about ten hours. (24 before you monkey with it okay?)

My last tip. Brush painting. As an ink, it's properties are most like glass staining inks. Seriously. Just like the cheap inks you get in a suncatcher kit, this stuff will pretty much stay where you put it without runs. Unless of course you give it a tape edge to wick under! I recommend using BMF only to mask for this stuff. It got under 3M masking tape, frog tape, Scotch brand cello tape (regular and frosted. The frosted is terrible! SOooo many calories!) and I haven't had the heart or the guts really, to put Gorilla tape on anything!

Finally, when brush painting, brush marks, "tides" drips and glops will NOT dry away. They will show. So my tip here is, unless you can lay one brush coat at once without lifting the brush, mask it and hose it.

That's all I have for now guys, I hope this helps, please chime in with your experiences.
spooker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so you've brush painted some Molotow Chrome onto your latest project. Ooopps, some got where you didn't want it, dried before you could get it off, now what do you do? As it is an ink, can you remove it with alcohol, or Windex or....? I've tried scraping it with sharpened toothpicks, but my paint is still kinda fresh so that's not working too well. Any help is appreciated!

Brian
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
OK, so you've brush painted some Molotow Chrome onto your latest project. Ooopps, some got where you didn't want it, dried before you could get it off, now what do you do? As it is an ink, can you remove it with alcohol, or Windex or....? I've tried scraping it with sharpened toothpicks, but my paint is still kinda fresh so that's not working too well. Any help is appreciated!

Brian
A little windex should do the trick if it's fairly fresh. Molotow will not be fully cured until 48 hrs. have passed, much like Pledge.

If that doesn't get it, try a little acetone (nail polish remover) on a small brush or Q-tip.

Once fully cured, Molotow can be cleared with Pledge or Alcladd clear.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. The cure time is arbitrary. depending how thick you put it on it may take less or more time. 48 hrs. is the standard wait time.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Molotow spray cans best.....the finish is much tougher.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I like the Molotow spray cans best.....the finish is much tougher.
Oh well thanks for sharing it comes in spray cans now!! This is information I could have used a few weeks back! MY PAL! (I'm just being sarcastically angry, kidding)

This is fantastic news!!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krylon has a chrome spray that works pretty well....
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Krylon has a chrome spray that works pretty well....
Not as well as Molotow and, honestly Krylon has gotten so bad in recent years I never use it anymore. I used to use it a lot.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how well you can see them but, here's an early attempt at Molotow with Pledge clear.

spooker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the removal advice! Are those Tyco Malibus? Will be selling mine soon, rare car.

Brian
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Thanks for the removal advice! Are those Tyco Malibus? Will be selling mine soon, rare car.

Brian
I make resin slot car bodies. Believe it or not, this one is my highest seller, even over my custom pieces. I have two Petty RR in excellent shape but one Chevelle. Contact me when you're ready to sell. I need to complete my set. Smile
spooker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do!
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I had no idea the Molotow was available in a spray. I checked it out online and it sounds promising. Couple of questions:
Does it look as good as the pens?
How does it compare to the looks of Alclad ?
Do you need to paint it over gloss black?
Do you need to clear coat it to keep it from rubbing off like Alclad?
Where is the best place to get it?

Any other tips would be appreciated. I have a few bumpers I would like to chrome. I sent a set out before to be chromed, but never got them back. Thanks, Don
GhstRider68

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: