Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miller Lite blue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Miller Lite blue Reply with quote

about to embark on a build of the Miller Lite #2 Fusion. the Powerslide instructions say to paint the lower bit of the car a blue that matches the decal colors, referencing the numbers and the sponsor logo color. this blue is pretty dark... MCW says that Racing Blue matches (this is also the color that they recommend for Sunoco and the later Valvoline #6 cars, like the 1997 car), but I think that their Dark Blue (Stroh's blue and earlier Valvoline cars, like 1994) looks like a stronger match. the reference photos that I have found for the 2014 car (which is what the Powerslide sheet replicates), I can't say... one on track picture shows the blue along the front end being lighter than the rest of the car (which I know isn't right), another victory lane shot shows the blue being a bit lighter that the other on-track shots I found.

I know that the lighting and angle used for any particular picture can alter how bright or dark the colors look, so this is why I am looking for advice on there before I start the build.
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: examples of the change in color tone Reply with quote

looks dark here

here, front looks pretty light, numbers look medium, and rockers look super dark

here all the blues look pretty medium-ish, a little towards the lighter side

help!
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Mike at Powerslide tries to match the decals to a Tamiya paint. If my comment is correct, I suggest looking for something like TS-15.

In the Showroom, someone built a Sunoco Buick with TS-15 and it looked good. I always thought Sunoco Blue was a different shade of blue versus TS-15, but the photos looked convincing.

I hope this helps.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 2 Sunoco stockers in the Showroom look aweful light in comparison to those photos i showed. I emailed MCW with a 600 dpi scan of the decal sheet and asked what he thought, racing blue (Sunoco) or dark blue (Strohs) and here was his reply-

“From the scan and the color chip I have of our spray colors, I think it
looks more like Racing Blue.

If you have some, spray a scrap piece of plastic and compare. Would be the
quickest way to tell. Scans and different monitors will give different
results on the way the color looks.”

Guess that I will have to go that route.
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Mike personally about this same color question and he stated to me that he matched the decals to Tamiya TS-55. Dark Blue. I have personally built the 2014 Miller Lite Car for my wife. (she loves Luke Bryan) and let me be the first to tell you, that Mikes color match is spot on! I literally sprayed the car pure white, then went and laid 2 cotes of the dark blue and it is 100% spot on! if you use Tamiya Pure White and Dark blue, you wont be disappointed!
tosouthern66

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:

I spoke with Mike personally about this same color question and he stated to me that he matched the decals to Tamiya TS-55. Dark Blue. I have personally built the 2014 Miller Lite Car for my wife. (she loves Luke Bryan) and let me be the first to tell you, that Mikes color match is spot on! I literally sprayed the car pure white, then went and laid 2 cotes of the dark blue and it is 100% spot on! if you use Tamiya Pure White and Dark blue, you wont be disappointed!

Scotty

Question on the Tamiya TS-55 Dark Blue. Is that the same blue for the
2016 Kentucky win car and the 2017 car? Also, how does Tamiya TS paint do when transferring it to a cup to spray out of an Airbrush? I have no luck with spray cans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: