Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm done with Rustoleum paint..........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: I'm done with Rustoleum paint.......... Reply with quote

Every can you buy the stupid nozzle clogs. You can't turn them over to purge the nozzle and despite soaking the nozzle in solvent you can't clean the thing. I have thrown away more the my share of half cans of paint.
TonyK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same experience for me. Emailed them last year and they sent me some replacement nozzles. I believe one of those clogged up too. I don't get it.
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had several now that the paint looks like sand when it hits the plastic. and when you strip it the plastic is etched. Evil or Very Mad
and yes they were primed first!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dupli-color #1699 sealer + Tamiya colors = fixed.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found Rust Oleum to be too thick in the first place. Tried spraying it out into a container then adding some thinner and applying it with an airbrush. But you can see what a giant pain that can be. (Wouldn't have tried it except I just HAD to have that color!)

Dupli-color like Dave said is excellent, especially for color matching, and Tamiya has several colors that are close if not spot-on for other needs. Spray nozzles on those have been trouble free in my experience. I have also used Krylon with good results. The thing I like about Krylon is the nozzle is adjustable. It puts out a flat spray pattern and you can adjust it to spray either horizontal or vertical, or any angle in between.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Rustoleum's reply......what a laugh....

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

We are sorry to hear of the problems that you are having with our aerosol cans.

As superior performing products, our aerosol formulas have always contained higher solid material than others in the market. Higher solids means better and faster coverage, and ultimately, better performance. Over time, these solids will start to separate from the liquid and the cans need to be shaken to get the mix into a homogenous state again. The longer it sits, the longer it may need to be agitated. Upon shaking the can to get the mixing ball dislodged, we then recommend an additional full minute of shaking to incorporate all of the material. Once mixed and the application has begun, we recommend shaking often during the application. Those solids need to be kept suspended to avoid things like clogging and sputtering.

Depending on the type of nozzle that is on the can, there are a couple of ways of keeping the can spraying properly should it need to be stored and used at a later date. The nozzle itself should be wiped clean and if it has a traditional nozzle (not a spray-anyway nozzle), the can should be turned upside down upon completion of spraying to clear out any product that may still be in the dip tube. This practice will help keep the integrity of the spray performance. However, should the can become clogged, the tip can be rinsed in mineral spirits or paint thinner to loosen any dried material that may have accumulated there. If cleaning the tip does not alleviate the clog, it may be inside the can, which will not be able to be cleared.

If you can provide the product and batch codes from the underside of the can(s) we can look into this further. We would also be happy to issue a refund for the product. If you have more than 4 cans, we will require a sales receipt to process a refund.

Attached is a photo identifying the product and batch codes from our can. Please note that these may vary slightly in placement / location on the can itself.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.
TonyK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same response after I already told them what I do before, during, and after I use the can. I was able to get paint to spray out the tube without the nozzle on so it's the lousy nozzles.

I never tried their paint colors. Just had a couple cans each of white and grey primer.
Wedge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe turn the can upside down and spray out after each use to keep the nozzle from clogging? I do that with my custom mix base coats and never have a problem.

Wade
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustoleum has some design that allows it to spray upside down. I have always used the upside down technique to clear the nozzle. With these cans you can hold it upside down and spray to your hearts content. Very frustrating.
Speedn Steven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

You guys know that Rustoleum owns Testors, right? Found that out when I bought "flat" grey paint that wasn't and they sent replacements.
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggin up an complain thread. I have moved mostly to Dupicolor for most spray paints, Tamiya when i need to. Rustoleum has killed it for me with the crappy nozzles, sputtering and inability to clear the nozzle. those big cans are "single use", kinda like toilet paper.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had better success with the Rustoleom Tractor specific paint colors than the generic colors. Tractor supply sells those, these were done with Kubota Orange:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: