Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1960 ford rear end oil cooling pix\info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: 1960 ford rear end oil cooling pix\info Reply with quote

hi all. i need some pix or info on rear end oil coolers for 1960 ford. i am doing fred lorenzen's ruppert safety belts ford and am having trouble finding any photos or info. i know some teams ran the cooler in the trunk which then i would only have to run the lines into the rear bulk head, or should it be on the underside of the chassis? and should i have a pump driven off the rear diff? if in the trunk there is no belt driven pump on the diff i know.

thanks, joe
dirtman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google..rear end cooler on fred lorenzen 1960 Ford stock car. It shows it underneath on the drive shaft

Rett
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtman wrote:
Google..rear end cooler on fred lorenzen 1960 Ford stock car. It shows it underneath on the drive shaft

Rett

thanks Rett. yes that's the only one and it is his 63 car at a road course (curious there are single shocks too) but i need a 1960. and it does not show where the cooler is.i assume since there is a pump on the diff it is underneath some where.
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:

hi bill. where did you find that photo? it looks like to me it is mounted in the trunk. that what you see too? no pump on the diff so that tells me it is part of the mounted cooler. i have not seen any photos of a cooler in the drivers compartment of early 60's cars so i have to figure it is in the trunk. yes?

joe
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, yes the oil cooling radiator is mounted in the trunk on the kick up above the rear end. There is a circulating pump on the car, they used to use a standard power steering pump driven off a belt and pulley off the drive shadt. The picture shows that pump, see the arrow I added.

joe b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bill, couldn't make out the pump in your picture and i seen the other one but can't see any lines. so i would just run the lines through the fire wall behind the diff? should there be a screen or cover where the lines go through? looks like some sort of air scoop in that photo.

joe
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's larger pic clearly shows the line from the bottom of the rear of the differential into the pump, the line out of the pump can be clearly seen above the first line's fitting at the pump. This line would go to the cooler, then another line out of the cooler back to the top of the differential housing to return the cooled fluid to the diff. HTH!

Brian
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes brian i see that too now. i see it going into something behind the diff but does it go into a cooler under the car or into the trunk? can't tell. i don't make out a cooler

joe
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume the cooler is behind that expanded metal screen, just above the shock body (upper left of the pic). In the upside down car pic, if you extend Bill's red arrow to the back edge of the rear end housing, you'll see a fabricated sheet metal duct.It takes in air above the rear, thru a cooler, then out just in front of the gas tank. Looks like a little deflector to route the air down and under the tank, too.
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i seen those too. the screen and the duct. i dismissed the screen because no oil lines go in that direction. but both photos suggest to me that the cooler is in the trunk. i will run the lines through the rear bulkhead and i will either add a screen decal or a duct of some sort, probably rob a duct cover from a lumina kit or something. i just need to move forward because the decision is holding up the build.

thank you all for your help.

joe
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedn Steven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting pictures-I have several NASCAR rule books from the era and they say you can't have any electric motors in the trunk; it also says you can drill holes in the backing plates but no scoops.
spooker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a scoop, it's a deflector!
Speedn Steven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Bill J.'s picture, not the upside-down Starliner, right next to the backing plate.
spooker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: