Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slab side MC vs round side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Slab side MC vs round side Reply with quote

Folks, have a question...

For a 1997 BGN car, specifically the Dale Jr. white #31 Sikkens car he drove at Gateway (which i accidentally found out via Mike’s Decals that MPR Mark makes!) would it be a round side or a slab side Monte Carlo? Been wanting to make this car for a really long time now. Just need to know what type of body to use.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use a round side.

Generally, cup Monte Carlos were slab side from their introduction, but all BGN cars were round side until the 1998 season.
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to agree with Rob, but i would make sure you do a good google search too. i couldve sworn ive seen a couple of big money cup teams enter a BGN race with slab side cars. this is only for example, but i have seen Mark Martins Winn-Dixie t-bird BGN car as a slab side T-bird.

Marks decals look pretty good for that paint scheme, cant wait to see you get this one done sir!
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:

i would have to agree with Rob, but i would make sure you do a good google search too. i couldve sworn ive seen a couple of big money cup teams enter a BGN race with slab side cars. this is only for example, but i have seen Mark Martins Winn-Dixie t-bird BGN car as a slab side T-bird.

Marks decals look pretty good for that paint scheme, cant wait to see you get this one done sir!

Unfortunately the web searches i have done turn up very few photos of the actual car and tons of photos of die cast.
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only picture I have of the actual car. Not the best, but it looks to be a round side car. I have updated my sheet from the original version to be more accurate. Interesting that Jr's name is not on the roof but on the door. An old school look.

Updated sheet...

18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mprmprmpr wrote:
This is the only picture I have of the actual car. Not the best, but it looks to be a round side car. I have updated my sheet from the original version to be more accurate. Interesting that Jr's name is not on the roof but on the door. An old school look.

Updated sheet...

The updated sheet looks great, Mark, thanks for doing that. And that is the same single picture that i found on the webs that wasn’t a diecast.

Saying it again, loving the update.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the Gateway race on youtube and took a few poor quality screen caps of Dale’s car... couldn’t find anything of the rear of the car. Should there be a yellow stripe on the rear bumper?

And the updates that you did, Mark, are accurate... thanks again.
bigryan18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is indeed round sided as the as they did'nt go slab-sided until the 98 season, and the license plate area on the bumper looks yellow to me on the race video..
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is going to be one good looking model to have on the shelf!

Mark, those look great as always sir!

cant wait to see this one done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: