Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meeting Buddy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Meeting Buddy Reply with quote

I thought this might be an interesting story to share. (I'm not counting on it but I'm hopeful... also a little bored.)

Every year at this time, with the first few adverts for the Daytona, I begin to reflect on races past. It had to have been 83 or 84, we were in Daytona for the race and had gone to South Daytona (I mean WHY?? Really!) to a seafood restaurant that promised fresh, daily. NOT true! I had been dared to swallow a raw oyster by my best friend, buddy and pal. I refused. I went out to the deck for a couple puffs of a Winston.

As I stood there enjoying what would become a bane to my existence, along comes a large group of people, all wearing Valvoline garb. Not just the jackets either, we're talking head to toe the entire group screamed Valvoline. The last one in line was a tower of a man who smiled and said "Hey" as he went in the door. All I could think was "THAT'S his VOICE?? They must have been doing helium on the way here! (Please, if you've never heard Buddy speak, go find a YT clip right now. You want soft spoken? You get, soft spoken!)

Back inside I noticed they'd sat next to our table and as I sat down I glanced over and said "Superfans?"

One of the men said with a bemused smile, "No... we're the team." Then his grin grew wider as he watched it dawn over us. Then, the big guy leaned in and said "I drive." At which point my mother made a sound which cannot be described. I can only say the birds outside were quiet afterward. It's happened before... we call it the "war-hoop."

Somehow we got to talking about the oyster and Buddy said "I wouldn't neither! I'd say five bucks, you get it down." That's exactly how he said it. Before I knew it I had been offered five bucks by everyone at our two tables. You know what? I swallowed a raw oyster that day!

Five minutes later I was hung out to dry over the railing in back of the restaurant. The seagulls loved me. As I straighten up and wipe my mouth... Here comes Buddy Baker! He grinned wide and asked if I was going to be okay. I said I would be fine but I hated losing the money.

Buddy Baker held out a wad of fives and said "I didn't say once you had to keep it down." As I took the money he asked me who I was going to root for that weekend. Standing there covered in Petty gear I said "Ricky Rudd." And gave him back a grin.

Okay that last part's not true. I was actually so dumbfounded that this was BUDDY BAKER (!!) that I stammered out "V.. Valvoline..?" I got to walk with him to the parking lot and he signed some postcards for us. He truly is, or rather was, the gentlest giant. And has since been one of my heroes.

I hope this didn't bore you. Smile
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story....better memory.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Buddy.......I had two brushes with him.
First was our AMS model convention at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. The convention tooK over two floors of the Speedway club.....big show. Vendors had one floor, display and contest another. I was on staff so I stayed busy the two days.
While walking the contest floor I heard that voice.....like Adam said you can't mistake it! He was talking to a builder about the #6 Daytona he had brought. When finished I stopped Buddy, told him thanks for coming etc. He was blown away by the models and was very polite.

The other time was when my friend bought a 1973 Charger from Buddy. The car was given to Buddy by Dodge....but he didn't like it so he gave it to his mother. She drove it until around 1994 when Buddy put it up for sale. I went with my friend to pick it up. It was kinda funny....Buddy was just happy to get rid of the Charger.....no real connection to it. Just a car.....but considering some of the icons he drove a base model Charger would be 'just a car'.

Thanks Adam for teiggering those memories again.

Last edited by DaveVan on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your recollection as well Dave. Smile
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy Baker once gave my dad & I a ride Shocked ... In a golf cart !!! Rolling Eyes
It was probably the 3rd or 4th year The Cup ran at Phoenix ( the first two years it was just Wayne & I ); my dad & I were taking a walk around the outside of the track, likely on Saturday. As the track activity stopped for some crossover traffic ( before they closed off the back stretch wall openings a few years ago) , we decided to walk back across the track to our motorhome in the infield. Suddenly the announcer stated: " Practice is starting NOW !!! " Shocked Just then a golf cart passed us, and I yelled out " Hey buddy - give us a lift. The guy stopped, and yelled back : " Hurry - I don't wanna get in trouble. " It actually was Buddy Baker - I had no idea until then. Laughing But I replied: " We don't wanna get run over. " So he stopped and we hopped on the back. ( I recall he was doing TV around that time ??? ) After we hopped off in the infield, I said: " Thanks Buddy. " My dad asked if I knew the guy; I said : " That's Buddy Baker - he's a retired NASCAR driver." My dad asked " Did he ever win any races ? " I then educated my dad a bit... Wink
truedeadman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one brush with Buddy at Daytona. My uncle(on my mom's side), God rest him, work for CBS Sports when they had the TV for the 500. For a couple of years, he managed to get me, my father and my uncle(on my father's side) tickets to the 500 from CBS. One year he talked to someone who was at the track for the races in production to give us a tour of the "compound" they used to broadcast the race...all the trucks and the production area and such.

So we meet up with him, he brings us into the office trailer thing they were using and asks us to wait a couple of minutes cause he needs to take care of something quick. We're standing there waiting and Mike Joy walks in, kind of nods at us and keeps going farther into the building. A few minutes later Buddy walks in. He gets to where we are standing, looks at us and says "good morning gentlemen. How are ya today?" We answer "good Mr Baker". He tells "Great! y'all have a nice day." Big smile on his face, gives a little wave then heads on in. Our guide can back and we toured the compound and then headed up to our seats. Buddy was a real nice guy
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, NEAT stories!!
Great reads, all of them!
Thanks for posting.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Stories Thanks for sharing them with us. I never met him but I know several who did and they all said the same thing Super Nice Guy in fact they said the same about The King, Richard Petty and I can say I met him many times and he is another super nice guy...These old time Racers appreciated the fans because they knew who was spending there money and it almost seemed to me like they were grateful for any fan of NASCAR, there are a few like that now but most are to busy to talk or even sign something for a kid.
43Magnum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Buddy Reply with quote

not about Buddy, but his dad, Buck Baker. I was a kid and saw an add in SCR about the Stock Car Racing school that Buddy and his dad was running. Even as a kid, I was already making plans. So I wrote to the school to ask for details about the cars and the school, how much, how fast, what happens if we wreck a car etc. Was expecting a brochure and some forms, but instead, I received a 4 page hand written letter, from Buck Baker himself, answering every question that I asked about, in detail. I still have the letter somewhere in storage. I was shocked that he took the time to do that, but this was how it was done back before emails and texting and web pages. The Bakers were just a really great bunch of people.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Became a fan of Buddy Baker thanks to MY first issue of SCR back in '68. Bought the magazine because it carried the story of the '68 Indy 500, which was the second year that I had listened to it. Of course this issue also carried the story of the World 600 that was shortened due to rain, which Buddy won in the #3 Dodge (Ray Fox's car?) Tried to follow his career from then on, mostly through SCR and eventually, NSSN, but mostly through SCR.
When he turned to announcing races, he was joy to listen to.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all of you for sharing your stories. This has been very enjoyable. Smile
nascarwow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I fell in love with stock car racing when I was about 6 or 7 years old watching Wide World of Sports, Buddy Baker became my driver. I don't know why but he became my favorite. Coverage was so limited for so long, especially growing up in Michigan, you didn't even really get to see personalities.

After eventually seeing interviews I know I had made the right choice. I loved his driving style and it broke my heart with some of the bad luck he had.

The win at Daytona in 1980 was so awesome. I miss listening to him on Sirius NASCAR radio.

I just got a new Baker Grey Ghost t-shirt for Christmas, so the memories live on!

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: