Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the Salvino 77 Monte have the 74 taillights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Does the Salvino 77 Monte have the 74 taillights? Reply with quote

I was getting ready to order one. Then saw a review video. It looked like the square headlight car has the 74 taillights? Can someone verify that? I cant find a decent picture. Thx, tb
john843

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, both of the MC's that I've got (Anderson #27 and Hawaiian Tropic #1) come with the tail light panel for both the '74 and the '77.
I think with the Anderson car you can build either but with the Hawaiian Tropic car you were forced to do the '74 because the grill/bumper piece included would only fit the round headlight ('74) valance. The Anderson car comes with the small separate grill that the HT car didn't have.
At least I think that's right:)

John
john843

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the video that I think you're referencing on the Tuf-Lon BA car (The one by hpiguys) and he did, for whatever reason, put the '74 taillight panel with the square headlight grill. However, if you will look when he's handling the sprues, the option for both headlight and taillight treatments are there, he just glued up the wrong one for the square headlight.

John
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, great info!! I didn't realize there was a separate taillight panel and after watching all of the posts here and seeing some nice finished Monte Carlos, I decided I wanted to give it a try, then I saw that video where it has the wrong taillight panel and was completely bummed. Ok, crisis averted. Thanks guys!

tom
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the hpiguys videos, he's got a great attitude towards building these. His Hawaiian Tropic build got me to tear right into mine and I'm glad I did.
john843

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Salhany wrote:
I love the hpiguys videos, he's got a great attitude towards building these. His Hawaiian Tropic build got me to tear right into mine and I'm glad I did.

I agree, and he covers a wide variety of builds.
Here's the Tuf-Lon #28 MC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfEaee9yMaA

John
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also very apparent that he knows nothing about a NASCAR race car or an old Monte Carlo. He just builds whatever they give him. Myself, I have a whole other attitude about accuracy and how much money I have to spend on a model kit.

As long as you don't care that you put an earlier rear end treatment on the car, and there is a 1/4" gap between the body and chassis and so on...
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Myself, I have a whole other attitude about accuracy and how much money I have to spend on a model kit.

As long as you don't care that you put an earlier rear end treatment on the car, and there is a 1/4" gap between the body and chassis and so on...

REALLY strange roll cage with slanted A pillar posts. 1/32 scale truck trailing arms, world's longest tail shaft on a transmission.........
john843

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I totally agree that there's issues with the MC and the Old's, my take is that for probably way less work than it takes to address the issues with a Polar Lights Talladega or Mercury (which most will agree were worthwhile kits) I can build an Olds or MC that more than suits me and fill the last remaining gap in the cars that really interest me. I know that's a real subjective view of it and my opinion is probably influenced by the fact that I actually enjoy going to the parts box and replacing kit parts (any kit) with something that looks better anyway. I guess it comes down to what part of the process you enjoy the most and will decide if a kit's worthwhile based on that.
Got to say though, the chrome and tires have really grown on me. I've held them up next to what's on a couple of Monogram and AMT's and the difference is apparent.

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PL race kits were all a mess.......So my hope is Salvinos LEARNS from that and makes kits that will sell many more for much longer........but they seem to not want any input from our side. IMHO
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the difference in the headlight panels is obvious, but to an uneducated builder can someone post pics of the different tail light panels? I was planning on doing a build of Bertha and assume that this is supposed to be a square headlight, ‘77 tail light version?

I have no idea which tail panel is which.

PS. i have the Circus Circus kit.
john843

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 Degrees, If you will look at the sprue in the #27 Circus Circus with the headlight and taillight pieces on it, it has the round headlight panel and the more "pointed" taillight panel together and the square headlight piece and the much more "flat" taillight piece together in separate boxes on the sprue. This is correct and how they should be paired to do the respective cars. Each has a little header on the two sets of panels, one saying MC77 and the other MC74.
When I got my first MC kit (Hawaiian Tropic) I almost made the same mistake hpiguy made simply because I didn't know which rear panel went with which headlight treatment and assumed incorrectly that since the "pointy" one looked more evolved stylistically , that it would go with the later "77 model.
Sorry I can't post pics but just remember - round headlight '74 car takes the pointed, swept-to-the outside taillight piece and the '77 square headlight takes the "flat" one.

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Baker #27 Monte Carlo kits today....they contain both round and square headlight, tail and bumpers. Just a FYI ......
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
It's also very apparent that he knows nothing about a NASCAR race car or an old Monte Carlo. He just builds whatever they give him. Myself, I have a whole other attitude about accuracy and how much money I have to spend on a model kit.

i agree. he gushes about that stupid chrome then at 5;19 mark he says how nice it is that a cpmpany will listen to the customers complaints but it's not true because we still have to deal with the stuff even after they get complaints about how it is a waste to use that chrome. i facebooked a complaint about that chrome and he responded he has got no complaints at all and even how everyone loves it. so no they don't listen. i have only one of their kits, i don't like spending premium money for something i have to get replacement parts for. plus there should be no chrome on engine parts, not all cars used chrome covers.

joe
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
While I totally agree that there's issues with the MC and the Old's, my take is that for probably way less work than it takes to address the issues with a Polar Lights Talladega or Mercury (which most will agree were worthwhile kits) I can build an Olds or MC that more than suits me and fill the last remaining gap in the cars that really interest me. I know that's a real subjective view of it and my opinion is probably influenced by the fact that I actually enjoy going to the parts box and replacing kit parts (any kit) with something that looks better anyway. I guess it comes down to what part of the process you enjoy the most and will decide if a kit's worthwhile based on that.
Got to say though, the chrome and tires have really grown on me. I've held them up next to what's on a couple of Monogram and AMT's and the difference is apparent.

John

the point is john the other kits you talk about cost less than half the price of these so i don't mind dealing with their shortcomings by going to the parts box.(plus some would probably argue they weren't too worthwhile too) sure i am an experienced enough a builder to cope but we shouldn't have too with what they charge. plus i could argue that if they would stop insisting usung this real chrome junk they could probably charge less per kit. who knows how much it cost them to do their chrome.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
john843 wrote:

John
ECHO THAT!
the point is john the other kits you talk about cost less than half the price of these so i don't mind dealing with their shortcomings by going to the parts box.(plus some would probably argue they weren't too worthwhile too) sure i am an experienced enough a builder to cope but we shouldn't have too with what they charge. plus i could argue that if they would stop insisting usung this real chrome junk they could probably charge less per kit. who knows how much it cost them to do their chrome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: