Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEXGEN test car at Richmond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: NEXGEN test car at Richmond Reply with quote

Austin Dillon took the RCR-built NASCAR NexGen car out for a twirl at Richmond on Wednesday.

Here's a link to the story which includes a brief video clip of Dillon showing off the engine compartment and body areas.

https://www.jayski.com/2019/10/09/nascar-to-test-nextgen-car-at-richmond/
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shall see.......
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering how well those alloy wheels will hold up on a 3400 LB. Stock Car in a Series where Rubbin' is Racin' ??? They DO look good though...
john843

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
Wondering how well those alloy wheels will hold up on a 3400 LB. Stock Car in a Series where Rubbin' is Racin' ??? They DO look good though...

My first thought exactly. They look just like the wheels on my wife's Hyundai!

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing that will reduce cost, big reason behind next Gen, except maybe the composite body. And that is only if the cost is not to high and how they set it up. Alloy wheels will constantly need to be magna-flux or tossed in the trash, tires will cost more and all that duct work under the hood???? Seems they are trying to create a negative pressure zone which will make the car faster?!?!?!?
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crate engines? Would they go there?
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article that about 1,000 to 1,500 people will lose their jobs going to the Gen 7 car.

If you are looking at the cars themselves to save the money, you are looking at this backwards. The big cost to running a company is in human resources. Payroll and benefits are about 75% of a typical company's expenses. Kyle Petty admitted this several years ago when he stated something to the effect that personnel costs are way higher than costs of the cars.

With the bodies and frames provided by outside sources, the need for fabricators and builders is largely gone except for repairs to damaged cars. With the lower horsepower engines, the need for engine R&D and engine tuners may go down as well.

All of this mean fewer employees, less payroll and the largest piece of the race teams' expenses has been slashed dramatically.
Racer14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those wheels/tires must just be for show. We aren't even allowed to use aluminum wheels on our cars at my short track.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
I read an article that about 1,000 to 1,500 people will lose their jobs going to the Gen 7 car.

I bet more jobs than that are lost.......and all those 'skills' lost to spec chassis and body.....and maybe a spec motor.......
23Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is about time for them to move away from 1960s technology a bit. The older "fans" likely will poo all over this, but I'm excited to see what it does. Unless we are directly linked to the production of these cars, I don't see why it should make a bit of difference to us fans. The cost to the race teams is not of our concern either. The proof will be in how good the racing ends up. I am hopeful. I see a few things that I really like, and I would feel fairly ignorant to trash talk the new car before we've seen a dozen or so races, let alone a single car test and photos of a rough draft.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test car is pretty much a SCCA Trans Am racer.......bet it could race in the series with a body closer to something real. So if NASCAR wants to become Trans Am....say so and do it. Don't hide the motive as a cost savings stock car.....
And yes....as someone that went to races at places like Riverside and Rockingham (IE I'm old) once we have a spec body, chassis and engine I'll have race days free.
Bill J

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a specific comment about this supposed car of the future, rather a comment about newer cars in general. While I understand the larger wheels to accommodate larger brakes on any car, most of today's cars have these oversized wheels and do not have larger brakes.
What is the purpose then? It seems to make buying tires a serious expense, with many of these low profile tires only lasting less than 20,000 miles. Putting out a thousand dollars every 20K miles for what benefit?
I can see NASCAR going to larger wheels for larger brakes, that makes sense but I doubt that is their motive. I feel it is more a current styling trend that NASCAR wants to join in any attempt to fill all those empty seats.

Like Dave, I am old too and already usually skip the NASCAR races. All the fake drama they create with equal cars, horsepower, tracks and drivers, only hurt the sport more. When I could watch a race with a reasonable facsimile to real cars and who made the best aero car, horsepower and had the most bold driver, won the most races.
Sorry to say this but if you think the racing now is exciting, you are one of the few hundred in the grandstands.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASCAR is at (or past) a crossroads. Younger (aka potential fans) don't care about Ford vs Chevy vs. Dodge. My day is done......like old D.W. said "at least we had our day". I hope the sport survives.
Bill J

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
NASCAR is at (or past) a crossroads. Younger (aka potential fans) don't care about Ford vs Chevy vs. Dodge. My day is done......like old D.W. said "at least we had our day". I hope the sport survives.

Pretty much says it all. great comment Dennis!
I'll add that it is not only NASCAR that has changed, it is nearly all types of racing. Indy used to be a whole month of excitement to see all the innovative, or not so innovative cars and to see the drivers try to make them fast enough to qualify. Indy is now just speed and color and not nearly as interesting.
I am just glad I got to see raw racing in NASCAR, Indy cars, sports cars and drag racing. Today there is plenty of speed but it is not at all as interesting as all the things happening years ago.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I hear a lot of Honda vs. Subaru vs. Audi vs. BMW chatter where I work, with a fairly large contingent of under 35 year old engineers.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding spec engines, I'm kinda torn. The K & N West Series ( maybe East too ??? ) has been using a spec engine for 2 seasons now; it's based on the current Corvette Engine. The racing is closer, at least at the NW Short Tracks I go to. Big money on engines won't buy you a win in this development series; everyone was running up against the chip at Evergreen Speedway. But engine innovation is also gone, which NASCAR has wanted for a LONG time.
I do think the spec bodies ( I saw a 5 Star decal on a trunk lid underside ) are a money saver; you can literally kick out minor dents !!! The composite bodies look so much better than the older steel lumps, especially on the short tracks. Graphics are much improved too.
The biggest cost factors seems, to me, to be the ME TOO attitude among West Series car owners. Full - tilt Cup haulers ( some of them brand new ) for what is mostly a regional deal, though some owners ( DGR & McAnally among them ) travel for K & N East, Trucks, And ARCA shows too. HIGH - DOLLAR Aluminum jacks being drug through gravel & roughly - paved infields; the big Cup - style pit boxes for events with half - way red flag pit stops; custom - printed canopies & tents for night races. ( I know - image is important, but still... ) I've always subscribed to the theories of Dick Bergrren & Chris Economaki : Hauling the race car on a Open Trailer is THE BEST Advertising !!!
NASCAR bears a bit of blame too, in mandating a 105 " wheelbase for K & N series cars. This makes it very expensive ( i.e. - a new car ) for West teams to run Cup Races, at a time when many Cup races have short fields. Perhaps next season's realignment with ARCA will improve the exposure for West teams especially; car counts have been declining out here for several years now. Sad
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all crate motor oval series gear the cars to hit the chip just before the end of the straight these days, it gives them the most jump off the turn to get their nose up under another car. They can do that when they have more bite than torque, it's a sign they need less tire to make them have to drive the cars again.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me.....NASCAR started its "death roll" at Daytona. Feb., 2001 with passing of Dale, Sr. Next nail in the coffin was when NASCAR reins were turned over 3rd generation France.
Next nail in the coffin was the "playoffs"
Then if you sneeze wrong, NASCAR other fines you or suspends you...

That;s just my opinion....

Indy cars are not any different.....
NO individuality in design or engines...
Hate the wings....
To me it's not racing if you miss your mark in a turn it's hello wall......

Me.....I'll just watch IMCA racing at my local tracks....
bangor boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jings, laddies.

This thread is veering toward areas where it will get struck off for being not about modelling. Sorry, never intended that to happen.

Sad to read about the widespread sourness toward today's NASCAR. I suppose this represents a car we'll be hard-pressed to find plastic models of down the road - unless someone resin casts a future diecast. I was mostly interested in what people thought about the changes to the car.

And whether anyone was inclined, someday, to whip up a set of those trippy test-car patterned decals. I was getting flashbacks just looking at it for too long.
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the car with us Bangor. Not sure what car it is supposed to represent, that is my main problem with the current/future "cars".
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Thanks for sharing the car with us Bangor. Not sure what car it is supposed to represent, that is my main problem with the current/future "cars".

It's just a mule.....they wanted something that looked like none of the makes.
WR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can make it any car you want just decide what headlight stickers you want it to be.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
you can make it any car you want just decide what headlight stickers you want it to be.

That would make it much easier for the model car companies !!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: