Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Were these types of cars ever kitted?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Were these types of cars ever kitted? Reply with quote

I tend to doubt it, but thought I'd ask. These are scary looking machines. Click for large image.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO...but I can see Sprint car parts added to some Plastruct tube and LOTS of time making one!
john843

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't help but notice the rear spoiler "angle" on the purple car when I enlarged it.

John
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winged version of those cars (well, with a carbureted smallblock instead of the injected big blocks) is the top weekly series at my home track up here in New Hampshire. I love those cars! The winged supers don't generally use the big downforce tail sections because they make it tough to keep the car balanced. The problem with the downforce tails is that when you balance them for clean air on the nose the tail is always in dirty air from the wing, cockpit, engine, and tires so it's not very efficient. But when you get the nose wings in dirty air in traffic the nose wings lose a lot more downforce than the tail does because it's in dirty air all the time. If that makes any sense.

Here are some detail photos for fabbing up a chassis:

The chassis in the foreground is the offset Supermodified:

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pictures are all from the Salem (Indiana) Speedway Facebook page. There have been TONS of pictures showing up there.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the AMT Grant King Sprint Car be a starting point? It had a Supermodified body in the kit.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/modified-asphalt--d/amt-grant-king-spri/sprint-car-grand-4.html
Gary Davis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure could.

I've been a member since 2006
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
Could the AMT Grant King Sprint Car be a starting point? It had a Supermodified body in the kit.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/modified-asphalt--d/amt-grant-king-spri/sprint-car-grand-4.html

Start...yes. But that kit has standard center drive and not the offset those Supers have. I think a new frame might be easier with parts from a kit.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as a sprint car, the Grant King kit is pretty dated. Early/mid 1970's design and technology. Some pats would be useful, but a LOT of scratchbuilding would be required to get close to current Supermod design. A Monogram Sprinter would get you more useable parts, as well as a nicer injected small block.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: