Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model Master Going OOB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Model Master Going OOB? Reply with quote

I just read online on another modeling forum that Rustoleum has bought out Model Master and plan to eventually drop the hobby paint line. Don't know if this true or not. Anyone have any info? I use the Model Master line of metalizers and I like their Acryl clearcoats. If they're going away looks like I'm going to the Gunze/Mr. Hobby line of metalizers (I've heard they're excellent.) I'll have to find another brand of clearcoats. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Bobby
james220

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local hobby shop guys says at this time they are cutting products not the full line, however he did say the metallic line is going away. Maybe the automotive brand. Rustoleum did buy them but what the final line, if any is still up in the air.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testors is dropping many colors across many lines of the brands they own. They bought Floquil years ago....only to kill the entire line.....good paint.
TG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustoleum bought Walmart Colorplace spray paint line, the 99 cent cans and discontinued them too. I used a lot of the flat black and flat white. Best flat black I ever used and loved the white as a primer etc.

I tried to order MM Stainless Steel from Hobbylinc a few weeks ago and they had already dropped it. Same with MM Bright White.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Master Going OOB? Reply with quote

BW wrote:
I just read online on another modeling forum that Rustoleum has bought out Model Master and plan to eventually drop the hobby paint line. Don't know if this true or not. Anyone have any info? I use the Model Master line of metalizers and I like their Acryl clearcoats. If they're going away looks like I'm going to the Gunze/Mr. Hobby line of metalizers (I've heard they're excellent.) I'll have to find another brand of clearcoats. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Bobby

Rustolem is a brand, RPM Intl owns Rustolem, they also own Testors and Model Masters, have for some time now.2

https://www.rpminc.com/

Last edited by martinfan on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sure miss the Model Master Metalizers. I pretty much could live without the rest of the Model Master line these days.

What I'd miss is variety and color selections. There are a lot of easy to find, desirable colors in the entire Model Master lines. Military, auto and general.

I used to like Pactra plastic paints, Testor's bought them out, like Floquil and used the name Pactra for some RC paints but pretty much killed the Pactra plastic paints, some of which were better than other options.

There are great metal colors in the Alclad line but they are more expensive and harder to source than MM Metalizers.

The main problem I see is the cost of the Model Master paints has gotten so high for such small quantities, that they've been killing themselves from the market.

I hate to lose another paint source, even if they are pricey. the MM paints are always easy to find.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted them a few months back

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

Our Model Masters product line is not being discontinued but some of the colors and options are also available in a different product line through Testor's. We have included a list of some of the colors that were discontinued and also the cross reference if they are currently available for purchase. The stores are notified if a certain color or product type are going to be discontinued as well so the best option is to check with the stores if they are notified before our product support team is. Attached is a list of some of the products for your reference.

Thank you for your interest in Rustoleum products. We hope this information was helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us if any additional assistance is needed.

Regards,

Jim H

martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
I would sure miss the Model Master Metalizers. I pretty much could live without the rest of the Model Master line these days.

Well,you are in luck my friend, they are not on the list, and still listed on the website, but I fully agree, I would miss them a lot , The Metalizer line is probably one of my most used paints.
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
Bill J wrote:

Well,you are in luck my friend, they are not on the list, and still listed on the website, but I fully agree, I would miss them a lot , The Metalizer line is probably one of my most used paints.

Thanks for that Jonathon, you're my hero Smile
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG wrote:
Rustoleum bought Walmart Colorplace spray paint line, the 99 cent cans and discontinued them too. I used a lot of the flat black and flat white. Best flat black I ever used and loved the white as a primer etc.

Yeah, I miss Color Place paints, too! Sure made modeling more affordable!

Brian
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG wrote:

I tried to order MM Stainless Steel from Hobbylinc a few weeks ago and they had already dropped it. Same with MM Bright White.

Yeah, I used the flat black all the time.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WM had a bunch of Color Place cans today....just limited colors...white, black and red glosses.....
TG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my WM still has the gloss white and gloss black. I think that's all they are going to keep making.
martinfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive my local WM has the Gl Black, and maybe the white, but I stopped paying attention to them since they stopped making the flat black, and funny thing, they did a spray paint reset at mine and the Color Palace cans got moved all the to the end on the bottom. They were always on the bottom but underneath the Craplyon , now they are under who knows what.
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuts, I was hoping to find some Panther Pink in a rattle can..
Lionpride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the Metalizers, but as for the rest of MM paints, I could not care less.
joe b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like their military paints. i would rather use their enamels than acrylic. MM enamels sprayed smooth and easy, and had a whole WWII military line for axis and allies that were cost effective than buying these color sets for $20-$30 dollars, PLUS shipping.
i guess i will stock up on some

joe
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
I also like the Metalizers, but as for the rest of MM paints, I could not care less.

Yes sir, that is the only product from the entire Testors/MM line I would have a hard time living without.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning up in the garage today and found two new cans of Color Place silver spray.....I tested it....forgot how good it was!!
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Cleaning up in the garage today and found two new cans of Color Place silver spray.....I tested it....forgot how good it was!!

Unfortunately Color Place was bought by Rustoleum I used a lot of there cheap $1.00 cans of Flat Black and Flat White for chassis's and also for primering bodies before painting I used them when painting automotive paints. If you call Rustoleum and ask about the colors now they give several paints that are the same as the Color Place paints that were a dollar these new cans are 9.99 to 12.99. This is outrages, buy the competition because they sell a product that competes with yours at a cheaper price and replace it with one that is 9 to 13 times higher. IMHO that is stealing from every consumer using it.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I was happy to find 2 new cans.........it will last me a while. BTW....it has a very different smell.....kinda old school..like it was a old formula.
jim unger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Bill 2 wrote:
Nuts, I was hoping to find some Panther Pink in a rattle can..

You can still get that pink from ModelRoundup.
Jim
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: