Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Which kit is besr for Waltrip 2001 Daytona car?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Help! Which kit is besr for Waltrip 2001 Daytona car? Reply with quote

I have kinda stayed away from the 2001 cars for reasons most understand. But I saw Waltrip on Fox news this morning talking about the new film he has coming....now I want to build Mikey's Monte.......thx
bigryan18

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 2000-02 Monte kit will work
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there curve side and slab side versions??? I just have not kept track of the Chevy kits. I have a Harvick white #29 kit. thx
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kit is the correct one, Dave.
The round side was gone by 1997 or 98 IIRC
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx all!
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the 2000-2002 kits will have the correct body. If you're using the full-glue kit, you'll need to make the rear spoiler larger and kick out the front air dam, as well as lengthening the chassis forward of the firewall. I detailed all of that here:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/february/automotive/mcss.php

That build is Dale Sr.'s Goodwrench/Oreo car from Daytona in 2001 but the modifications will be essentially the same for Mikey's Daytona winner.

None of the decal sheets are really correct for the 2001 Daytona 500 winner. The Wetworks sheet was done off pre-season information and is missing a lot of things. The JWTBM and Slixx sheets for the 2002 cars can take you part of the way but you'll be missing some things. JWTBM did a goodies sheet for 2004 that included the correct driver name style, the correct Sealy logos, and Echlin lettering for the 2001 Daytona 500 winner but you'll still be missing some things. I also found it was necessary to patch together the correct contingency decals for the car, too.

At one time I had much of the artwork done for an accurate sheet depicting this car, but I kind of dropped the project for various reasons. I'd be willing to dig the artwork out if a screen-print operation wanted it. An accurate sheet for this historic car is a real gap.

Jodie Peeler
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Jodie!!!!
You may contact a decal manufacture using the new white laser systems. I am using some of those decals now and as long as there are no metallics needed these white laser decals are just as nice. thx
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:

At one time I had much of the artwork done for an accurate sheet depicting this car, but I kind of dropped the project for various reasons. I'd be willing to dig the artwork out if a screen-print operation wanted it. An accurate sheet for this historic car is a real gap.
Jodie Peeler

If you can not, or don't go the silkscreen route I can laser print them. I would be able to print them, including the white, with an additional white underlay sheet. Either a full correct sheet, or the parts needed to complete an existing sheet. PM me if you are interested.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does good work.....I have a bunch!
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mprmprmpr wrote:
If you can not, or don't go the silkscreen route I can laser print them. I would be able to print them, including the white, with an additional white underlay sheet. Either a full correct sheet, or the parts needed to complete an existing sheet. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks! I will keep this in mind. I'm trying to get artwork for another sheet finished that I'm long overdue on delivering, but once that's done I will dredge the Mikey artwork up from my old hard drive and get it in shape. Stay tuned....

Jodie Peeler
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built this one a while ago using bits from the WW and JWTBM sheets. It doesn't have Echlin on the trunk lid but I have that graphic and will be attempting to remove the wrong decal and put the correct one on. I thought this one came out pretty accurate to the Daytona winner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: