Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hut Stricklin's LMS Camaro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Hut Stricklin's LMS Camaro Reply with quote

Hut Stricklin's LMS Camaro c.1980

Having grown up watching the Chevelles and then the Nova-bodied LMS cars (with a few Fords thrown in: Red Farmer & Jody Ridley) around the Alabama short tracks in the '60s and '70s, I didn't particularly like the look of the Camaros when they first appeared. However, as they developed and refined the Camaro into the late '70s and early '80s, their look grew on me and it became one wicked looking race car! Hut's Camaro was very typical of LMS race cars of the late '70s and early '80s.

The following model depicts how Hut's first LMS ride looked as he made the transition from limited sportsman to full late model sportsman. The car would change paint schemes and sponsors several times during his LMS career. Great memories watching these cars race at BIR, Montgomery, and all the other short tracks around Alabama.

I'm placing the build info after the photos.

[img]

[img]

I know, I forgot the radiator cap. I'm going back and putting one on.
[img]
[/img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

KIT(S): Body:MPC Camaro Pro Street Kit No. 6326 Chassis: AMT/Model King USAC Monte Carlo Super Stocker
[img][img]

Camaro Late Model Nose: Bennett's Racing Replicas

Hood: Hood is from a MPC 70 1/2 Camaro with Baldwin Motion hood.

PAINT: Tamiya TS-49 Red. Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black for the hood, nose, chassis, and interior. The flat black was clear coated using Model Master Acryl Semi-Gloss.

DECALS: The #7 came from the Benny Parsons Powerslide sheet. It's an almost exact match for Hut's #7. The contingencies are from Powerslide '80s Contingency sheet. The instrument faces are from Powerslide. The driver name is from a couple generic driver name sheets I've had for decades. One is black letters and the other is white. I overlaid the black with the white to give it the black shadow effect. The 331 C.I. came from a Slixx White Lettering sheet. Rivets came from a Microscale Rivet decal sheet. The front grills are from one of those Slixx Stock Car Goodie sheets.

TIRES/WHEELS: PPP McCreary Asphalt LMS tires. Wheels came from an AMT nascar kit.

ENGINE DETAILS: The Moroso air cleaner came from Big Donkey Resins. The Moroso valve covers came from an AMT nascar kit. The ACCEL Super Coil came from Miniatures of Maryland. All of the plumbing was scratch built. The Aeroquip hoses were made from a inexpensive necklace from WalMart's hobby and craft section. The connectors are made using Plastruc hex rod, painted Model Master Stainless Steel, then painted with Tamiya Clear Red and Blue. The oil tank was scratch built using Evergreen tubing and sheet plastic. The oil cooler is from a MPC nascar kit. The exhaust tips were made from K&S tubing and the exhaust shield made from plastic sheet the painted stainless steel and buffed to a shine.

BUILD NOTES: The MPC Camaro body was cleared of all body trim. The rear wheel openings were enlarged for race purposes. The front wheel openings were completely cut off the body and I used the inner wheel wells from an AMT '69 Chevelle kit for the fender and hood humps. NOTE: Making the front wheel well humps left them very susceptible for cracking the super glued seam. All that's holding the front clip on is the small fender humps. I used Evergreen bar stock inside the wheel wells and I taped the hood on to help support the joint while I endlessly fiddled with test fitting the body on the chassis. The front nose was attached with super glue and reinforced inside the body with plastic tabs made from Evergreen sheet.

The MC Super Stocker chassis was modified to fit the MPC Camaro body. Mainly, the A-Pillar roll bar was made to fit using Evergreen rod. The passenger side header cover was modified to fit the adjustments made to the roll cage. I chopped and dropped the top much the same way the real race teams did it. I cut about 1/8" from the bottom of the A-Pillar and made a relief cut at the wind panel. I glued everything together, filled the seam and I had the look I wanted. Of course doing this meant I had to shave some of the bottom of the windshield so it would fit. The fuel filler is made from Evergreen 5/32" tubing and I punched out a disc and scribed the attachment rivets for the fuel nozzle. The overflow tube is K&S tubing. In general, just a lot of test fitting and re-positioning the front spindles in order to get the stance correct as well as the tire and wheel width clearances.

For more inspiring and great reference images of LMS Camaros (and a few Fords) from BIR from back in the day, please click the following link from the Alabama Racing Pioneers. You'll see a lot of drivers who went on to have great Winston Cup careers. These photos are a wealth of info on this era of short track racing! These photos were taken by Gary Shamblin who was a member here on Randy's and one heck of a photographer and model builder as well as a good friend.
https://public.fotki.com/alabamaracingphotos/photos-by-gary-shamblin/

Thanks for looking!
Bobby
WORLDGPFAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build, I like the subject matter
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!
john843

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the chart gorgeous - AS USUAL! Great tip on using the inner wheel wells too. I had to smile when I saw where you stated that you used them because about two weeks ago I cut the wheel wells off of an AMT Bobby Allison Coke chassis and as I was about to toss them into the trash can, they looked particularly even and perhaps even "useful" (just didn't know for what) so I reached past the trash can and tossed them into a spare box. NOW I know why I kept them:)

John
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just BEAUTIFUL. Great build!
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding
Bill
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!

Great build!!
HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool!!!!!
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding work as usual! Really looks great.
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby, you're getting better and better. Thats a truly outstanding build. I bet Hut would do a backflip if he saw it.
Lee "Spud" Lo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful build my friend. I follow Hut on Twitter, he would probably love to see this. Do you mind if I share it? Ill give you full building credit.
arca guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is slick!!
spotter23

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super cool thanks for all the details
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one killer build that is out of the park. You always amaze me with them.
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: