Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Old builds from the '70's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: More Old builds from the '70's Reply with quote

AMT Grant King Sprints

Not all of the above are Chevy powered....

The "surviving" Supermod based on the GK sprint

And yes, NOT straight out of the box.....
Tires and wheels from a scrapped Lotus F1 build from some "Obscure" kit. Engine from unbuilt Tobias modified...Wing scratch built.
Old Coyote

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you're into sprint cars. Great looking collection!
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done sprints!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....was really into following the CRA sprints at Ascot in Southern Calif. back in the '70's after moving there, and up to the early 80's....
Crude as the AMT sprint kit was it WAS the only sprint kit out there until around 1987.....they were and are NOT and easy kit to build....the "jig" to put the frame together, the slots to set the side frame pieces into make it too wide fot the belly pant to fit. once I had that figured out, building the next frames went much easier....the full nose piece bottom would NOT clear the axle to where the upper nose piece would line up properaly with the hood. the inner part of the hood cowl would not fit right to the side panels, so had to file/grind on the inner hood to get them to fit. side slots on the side panels would not allow the headers to correctly fit to the engine....But once one had all that figured out, one knew what to do with the next builds....Won't talk about the tires for the GK kits or the Tobias modified kits...I can only guess that AMT was trying to depict pavement tires...but back then there were no cottage industries to be able to get "correct" tires....

Have 11 of the DTR/AMT reissues of this kit from back around 2006/07 and the early 80's AMT reissue of the kit, when they combined the supermod parts into the sprint kit, making a 2n1 kit, which carried through to the DTR release. But when the kits came out in the '70's, the sprint and supermodified were separate issues...

Of the 9 in the picture, I built 8 of them. the yellow #1x was inherited from my brother when he moved to a different house in '79....did the modifications to the hood and nose piece. decals and car # were added once I got it, though it had been painted....
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, that's where all those kits went. Every time I d go to Eldora in the 70, I'd come home all hyped up to build one of those. Still have a couple in the stash, but haven't built one in years. Neat to see yours
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the other two GK based supermods look like today.....
The black one is the first AMT Grant King sprint based kit I built. At the time I was waiting for the sprint kit to arrive from a mail order thru Grant King Racing. Don't remember how long it took to get it, but it was a number of weeks....

As it looked when dug out from being packed away for my cross country move from CA to FL...

And after starting some rebuilding

[url=https://postimages.org/]
[/url]

One that I started redoing in the mid 80's that I thought I had tossed out

Danno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Supermodified!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more views of the yellow & orange #1 super

The tires & wheels did not look right on the Lotus F-1, but when I found another supermod kit (Before AMT created the 2 as a 2n1 kit), I bought it with this in mind....those tires really lowered the car...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: