Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting over yellow or red

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronusry

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Painting over yellow or red Reply with quote

I know this has been discussed before. Just can’t find the post.
I want to paint a yellow and red, as well as, a green monogram nascar body white. I do not want bleed thru. Should I do a good coat of white or gray primer, or paint silver, then a white primer?
Thank you for any suggestions.
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone says silver will block those plastic colors.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gave my red S&H Torino a silver (Krylon Premium Metallic Chrome) undercoat. Will wait a couple days, sand it a bit and then coat with white primer. Will give an update at that point, but I'm not seeing any red bleeding through the silver now.

I'm wondering if it's the metallic content of the paint that acts as a shield to block the bleeding pigment.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
I just gave my red S&H Torino a silver (Krylon Premium Metallic Chrome) undercoat. Will wait a couple days, sand it a bit and then coat with white primer. Will give an update at that point, but I'm not seeing any red bleeding through the silver now.

I'm wondering if it's the metallic content of the paint that acts as a shield to block the bleeding pigment.
It's the reflective properties I reckon.
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronsury I have used Silver Krylon or Silver Plasticote (usualy on sale somewhere around me) for years and never had a problem with bleed thru. Also I use a primer comparable to the color I plan on using.[/quote]
john843

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with halfbreed on the Krylon and/or Plasticote. Have had both work great. One I would avoid though is the Testor's chrome silver. For whatever reason I've found it to be too thick for an undercoat and will obliterate small details like rivets or window trim channels.

John
Ronusry

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good info thank you so much
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Tamiya AS-12 “bare metal silver”? Asking because i have some upcoming builds with yellow bodies and have a small stash of the AS-12.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you white prime first, then silver, (you can get a big can of duplicolor metallic silver at autozone). Then white prime again and then your top coat gloss white. The 76 torino I just finished had a red body and I still had a little bleed through on the hood but the big decal covered it. I don't think I put enough silver on the hood. so make sure you get plenty on yours.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
...The 76 torino I just finished had a red body and I still had a little bleed through on the hood but the big decal covered it. I don't think I put enough silver on the hood. so make sure you get plenty on yours.

WOW - just today I white primed over the silver coat on my red S&H Torino and only the HOOD bled through...weird.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
...The 76 torino I just finished had a red body and I still had a little bleed through on the hood but the big decal covered it. I don't think I put enough silver on the hood. so make sure you get plenty on yours.

WOW - just today I white primed over the silver coat on my red S&H Torino and only the HOOD bled through...weird.

You must have went light on the silver like I did on the hood. I don't know why I didn't go ahead and shoot some more silver before I shot the gloss white. Senior moment I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: