Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ricky Rudd Gatorade Olds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viperguy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Ricky Rudd Gatorade Olds Reply with quote

I just purchased the SMH 1/24 Olds body. I would like to do it as the Gatorade Olds that Ricky Rudd drove. Are their any pictures available that I could use?
BW

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved this one a while back. Sorry it's in B&W. I'm sure there are some in color. Just try a Google search.

[img]

Bobby
BW

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this one:

[img]

Bobby
Mack

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have decals?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Powerslide decals for the Grand Prix and Regal should fit fine, you might have to creatively trim the front of the forward set of green panels then refit the outline stripe but it shouldn't be difficult.
Viperguy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I plan on using the Powerslide decals.
Viperguy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have one question. The front end is shaped almost like the Buick but I read that the
Olds wasn't very aerodynamic and the drivers had trouble driving it
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viperguy wrote:
I just have one question. The front end is shaped almost like the Buick but I read that the
Olds wasn't very aerodynamic and the drivers had trouble driving it

I suspect the issue was at the rear. On the Olds the middle of the trunk dropped down an inch or so in between vertical taillights, which effectively hid the spoiler from air spilling around the sides of the roof.

George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From racing news stories of the time period, I recall that the 1981 Olds Nose, with its' shovel profile, and the recessed - center decklid, combined to make the car both push ( front end ) and loose ( back end ). While the Buick front end looked similar, it was in fact more stable at speed than any other GM body except the Pontiac Lemans. During Speedweeks 1981 at Daytona, NASCAR increased the allowable rear spoiler size twice, in an effort to make the cars more stable (and drivers happier). Though Bobby Allison would dominate Speedweeks activities in his LeMans, the thirsty engine would run him out of gas -- twice -- and hand the win to Richard Petty in his Buick.
Once NASCAR changed the rules to discourage use of the Lemans, most GM teams quickly switched to the Buick, which would win 47 of 61 Cup races in 1981 & '82. Conversely, the 1981 - '85 Olds Cutlass body would not win a single NASCAR Cup race, although Winston West driver Jim Robinson would win 13 short track races in his Olds from 1981 to '85.
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
From racing news stories of the time period, I recall that the 1981 Olds Nose, with its' shovel profile, and the recessed - center decklid, combined to make the car both push ( front end ) and loose ( back end ). While the Buick front end looked similar, it was in fact more stable at speed than any other GM body except the Pontiac Lemans. During Speedweeks 1981 at Daytona, NASCAR increased the allowable rear spoiler size twice, in an effort to make the cars more stable (and drivers happier). Though Bobby Allison would dominate Speedweeks activities in his LeMans, the thirsty engine would run him out of gas -- twice -- and hand the win to Richard Petty in his Buick.
Once NASCAR changed the rules to discourage use of the Lemans, most GM teams quickly switched to the Buick, which would win 47 of 61 Cup races in 1981 & '82. Conversely, the 1981 - '85 Olds Cutlass body would not win a single NASCAR Cup race, although Winston West driver Jim Robinson would win 13 short track races in his Olds from 1981 to '85.

Great stuff George!
Viperguy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right from watching that race, twice, that Richard won it because he got smart and took only one can of gas.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viperguy wrote:
If I remember right from watching that race, twice, that Richard won it because he got smart and took only one can of gas.

Well -- Yes & No. Petty Enterprises had done their homework, and arrived at Daytona Speedweeks 1981 with a new and different chassis, ( built by Jay Hedgecock I recall ) and utilizing a different rear suspension with short trailing arms. The # 43 car handled well enough during the race that crew chief Dale Inman noticed ( correctly ) the minimal tire wear, and opted to forgo new tires on the last pit stop. As Richard himself said in Victory Circle: " We've won this race when we out - ran 'em, when we out - lasted 'em, when we out - lucked 'em -- now we won when we out - thunk 'em. "
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
Viperguy wrote:

Well -- Yes & No. Petty Enterprises had done their homework, and arrived at Daytona Speedweeks 1981 with a new and different chassis, ( built by Jay Hedgecock I recall ) and utilizing a different rear suspension with short trailing arms. The # 43 car handled well enough during the race that crew chief Dale Inman noticed ( correctly ) the minimal tire wear, and opted to forgo new tires on the last pit stop. As Richard himself said in Victory Circle: " We've won this race when we out - ran 'em, when we out - lasted 'em, when we out - lucked 'em -- now we won when we out - thunk 'em. "

The Hedgcock cars with the short arms were later, after Petty came back from Curb. The '81 Buicks were Laughlin chassis just like Bobby's LeMans. Those short arm chassis that Petty ran later were horrid.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom, for jogging my memory. I do recall Junior Johnson messing around with a short trailing arm chassis in the 1980 - '81 off - season. He did some lobbying to NASCAR with a quote I still remember : " If they try to use those long truck trailing arms on the next generation of Stock Car, they will have to pivot the arms off the bottom of the oil pan. " Laughing
Jerry Strobel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
It took the GOAT to even get one of these Olds a pole position, David Pearson driving the #12 Kenny Childers entry at the May 17th 1981 running of the Mason-Dixon 500 at Dover International Speedway. David finished 25th after completing 57 laps due to engine failure.
Viperguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently watching one of the 125's and Buddy Baker was doing good in the Hoss Ellington car until he was freight trained.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viperguy wrote:
I was recently watching one of the 125's and Buddy Baker was doing good in the Hoss Ellington car until he was freight trained.

Yea -- back then Hoss Ellington could have built a John Deere Cotton Picker that would qualify in the Top 10 !!! In reality, I was always a bit surprised that the combination of Buddy Baker and Hoss Ellington ( both hard chargers ) didn't score any Cup victories together.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was the downsized cars or just the natural effects of racing for over 20 years but Buddy only had one more career win in him after 1980.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
I don't know if it was the downsized cars or just the natural effects of racing for over 20 years but Buddy only had one more career win in him after 1980.

Yea -- it just doesn't figure, Tom. Buddy Baker drove for Hoss Ellington, Harry Ranier, and The Wood Brothers from 1981 through 1984, admittedly on a limited schedule, but still only hoisted a single Winner's Trophy during that time. Confused:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: