Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

j.d. mc duffie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: j.d. mc duffie Reply with quote

Looking for suggestions on the color blue J.D. McDuffie used on his late seventies Monte Carlo's. I'm doing the car he sat on the pole with at Dover Downs in September 1978.
john843

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Testor's line isn't the fan favorite here but the Model Master Arctic Blue metallic sprayed over gray primer looks really close. I was testing a couple of blues last week to do the Owens/Hamilton '71 RR when I noticed the Arctic Blue would be a decent match for both the car you referenced and Delma Cowarts #0 Coastal Transmission car. The new J.D. sheet with the gold foil #'s has just about swung me around to doing that car instead of the one I had planned to go on the only MC chassis I've completed to date. To me, the deep blue metallic and the gold foil make for a beautiful, somewhat understated, scheme.

John
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
I know the Testor's line isn't the fan favorite here but the Model Master Arctic Blue metallic sprayed over gray primer looks really close. I was testing a couple of blues last week to do the Owens/Hamilton '71 RR when I noticed the Arctic Blue would be a decent match for both the car you referenced and Delma Cowarts #0 Coastal Transmission car. The new J.D. sheet with the gold foil #'s has just about swung me around to doing that car instead of the one I had planned to go on the only MC chassis I've completed to date. To me, the deep blue metallic and the gold foil make for a beautiful, somewhat understated, scheme.

John

Thanks John....I've got to run by my hobby shop after work today, I'll check that out. I too prefer Tamiya, but sometimes you've got to go with Testor's. I'm doing the car J.D. put on the pole at Dover in 1978, I was able to attend that race and tickled to see him lead the first 10 laps. I even have the McCreary tire decals to go along with Mikes excellent decals.
Thanks for the tip, I'll post a reply Monday.
john843

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, forgot to ask if you had the McCreary decals for the gumballs he qualified and started the race on. They weren't good but for 10-15 laps but real good til then:)

John
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Yep, forgot to ask if you had the McCreary decals for the gumballs he qualified and started the race on. They weren't good but for 10-15 laps but real good til then:)

John

Yep, I got them from Mike's Decal's as well. This will be one of my favorite builds as I always liked J.D., and wanted to this kit for years. Thank's to Salvino's & Mike's I can finally do it.
john843

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sf, another option that is about the same shade of blue as the Arctic but maybe a little "brighter" is the Testor's Enamel spray #1639-Custom Blue Metal Flake. Unlike the Arctic Blue this need's to be sprayed over a silver or in this case probably a gold undercoat, but it too, is close. One good thing I did remember from the last time I used the Arctic Blue is that after about a week of curing, I was able to polish it out to look like glass. In my experience that's not always the case with metallic's.

John
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Sf, another option that is about the same shade of blue as the Arctic but maybe a little "brighter" is the Testor's Enamel spray #1639-Custom Blue Metal Flake. Unlike the Arctic Blue this need's to be sprayed over a silver or in this case probably a gold undercoat, but it too, is close. One good thing I did remember from the last time I used the Arctic Blue is that after about a week of curing, I was able to polish it out to look like glass. In my experience that's not always the case with metallic's.

John

Many thanks for your tips John. I'll be heading to the hobby shop in about 15 minutes, I'll let you know what happens. Have a great weekend!
WR

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamyia- Pearl Blue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: