Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viperguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Paint problem Reply with quote

I had messed up a paint job on a Revell 1969 Camaro and used purple power to strip the paint. After two days in the bath there is some still some paint that hasn't come loose. Any suggestions?
bigryan18

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 91% alcohol..
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigryan18 wrote:
Try 91% alcohol..

I agree...

hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the temp where you have it while its soaking if its below say 60 degrees it will not work very well I have had the same issues with this stuff and a friend told me this about the purple ponds and several other people said the same thing so you may want to try it again if it was cold the warmer the better...
Jim N

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had instances where the paint has adhered to the plastic too well and Castrol Super Clean or 91% rubbing alcohol would not loosen the paint. After that, you just have to get the sandpaper out and use some elbow grease.
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be helpful if you could tell us what paint you used, not all paints can be stripped using the same stuff

For anything that isnt a lacquer, Super Clean ( purple bottle, not the white, white is the knock off and its nowhere as strong)

For lacquer 91% alcohol

There are also variables that come into play, primer and clear are two them as well.
martinfan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
I have had instances where the paint has adhered to the plastic too well and Castrol Super Clean or 91% rubbing alcohol would not loosen the paint. After that, you just have to get the sandpaper out and use some elbow grease.

That is the very last resort, and there one plastic safe product that you can use if those two don't work, Mr Hobby Thinner, the only thing it wont touch is 2k clear. Now, I don't mean you soak it , I mean you put some on cloth/rag and just wipe the paint away, ( you might have to rub)

It magic in a bottle.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I use when everything else fails, or when it's a resin that I'm afraid to dunk in anything, is Polly S Easy Lift Off. I think Testors repackages it now as ELO.[/img]
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Tom M said. I pour a small amount in a gallon zip lock bag. Put the body in, zip it shut, then tumble it around to wet the body. You dont have to submerge it. Let it set overbite, clean with soapy water and a toothbrush. Repeat if needed. Ive stripped 40 year old enamel to like new plastic with the Testors ELO. It may take a couple of sessions to get it all clean. tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: