Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to make gold chrome wheels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: How to make gold chrome wheels? Reply with quote

for the Elliott Coors 85 Bird, or Bobby Allison Miller 82 ish Buick
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the pictures I can find of the real thing, it doesn't look like they were mirror-finish gold-chrome wheels, so I'd probably go with Tamiya Gold from the spray can. From an airbrush, I'd either find a gold color I liked, or I'd use whatever preferred metal technique I had, and then airbrush over that with Tamiya Clear Yellow.

Jodie Peeler
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, what Jodie said.
john843

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+elliott+1985+t+bird&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipiuGDk_rhAhUDZN8KHYwoDEkQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1200&bih=685#imgrc=_

If you will check out the second pic in the second row on this link and enlarge it it shows that they did use an anodized gold wheel at some point. Other than using a clear yellow or something similar, as Jodie suggested, I'm not sure what the best way to achieve it would be.

John
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected on the gold anodized wheels. Thanks for posting the photo link.

Alclad does both a gold finish and a yellow tint in the Alclad II line. It would require working with lacquers and the Alclad surface preparation process, but I would recommend trying those if the builder truly wants that shiny finish.

Vallejo's Metal Colors line (which is acrylic) may also be a possibility. There is a gold in the Metal Colors line but that ultra-shiny look may best be achieved by using Chrome followed by a yellow tint.

Jodie Peeler
R.J.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method is not a lot of help unless you spray your own clearcoat from a airbrush. I tint my clear very lightly with the color I want and then spray over the chrome almost like you would when spraying a pearl coat color over a base color.

R.J.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don not use a metallic color for tinting the clear it is a solid color and tint lightly and apply about 2 coats with ample flash time between as he clear will easily run first coat on the chrome.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tamiya clear yellow over the kit chrome wheels, and had great results. I've even used the clear yellow on aluminum slot car wheels with excellent results. Your mileage may vary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: